Old 03-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Update to Dictionary of Nautical Terms e-book

I have just updated my Dictionary of Nautical Terms on Amazon Kindle with over 3800 definitions. Cost is $5.49 for the e-book.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013W4BLL2

One of the new options for Kindle is to make a paperback version of the e-book and although that seems to me to be a drawback, some people have shown interest in a traditional book, over an e-book. The cost would be about $15 per copy, and no updates. Please let me know if you would want me to offer a printed copy.

The nice thing about the e-book version is whenever I post an update, anyone who buys it will get an update, when they sync their kindle reader.

You don't need a kindle reader device to read an e-book. Any laptop, desktop, PC, Mac, Windows, Linux, or smartphone, tablet will let you read kindle e-books with their free kindle reader app. You can buy a book and see it on any / all of your devices. Any tablet with color displays give you color images, compared to most readers with black and white displays.

If you know of a term that I am missing in my dictionary, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your support!
Stu
Old 03-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Saloon.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: PEI
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: Jeaneau 21
dictionary

RT
Old 03-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #4

City: Northern Ontario
Vessel Name: Chickadee
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Did you mean "Salon"? 👹
Old 03-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Saloon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGypsy View Post
Did you mean "Salon"? ��
I need a beer, not a manicure!
Old 03-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #6
Guru

The issue is that it is fairly evenly divided and going one way over another will be "wrong" for the other half
Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #7
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. 99. One would think that a "dictionary" should provide accurate definitions. By including the word salon the misuse of the term will be perpetuated....

saloon (n.) 1728, Englished form of salon, and originally used interchangeable with it. Meaning "large hall in a public place for entertainment, etc." is from 1747; especially a passenger boat from 1817, also used of railway cars furnished like drawing rooms (1842). Sense of "public bar" developed by 1841, American English.

salon (n.) 1690s, "large room or apartment in a palace or great house," from French salon "reception room" (17c.), from Italian salone "large hall," from sala "hall," from a Germanic source (compare Old English sele, Old Norse salr "hall," Old High German sal "hall, house," German Saal), from Proto-Germanic *salaz, from PIE *sel- (1) "human settlement" (source also of Old Church Slavonic selo "courtyard, village," obsolete Polish siolo, Russian selo "village," Lithuanian sala "village").

Sense of "reception room of a Parisian lady" is from 1810; meaning "gathering of fashionable people" first recorded 1888 (the woman who hosts one is a salonnière). Meaning "annual exhibition of contemporary paintings and sculpture in Paris" is from its originally being held in one of the salons of the Louvre. Meaning "establishment for hairdressing and beauty care" is from 1913.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Every landlubber knows full well that my boat has a living room, a kitchen, two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a back porch and, oh, that place you steer from.

Richard
Old 03-05-2017, 12:04 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Salon vs Saloon?
"Main Cabin" gets around it.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
Guru

I just updated my kindle Dictionary of Nautical terms book on Amazon.com and now it has over 4500 definitions. For those who purchased it, you can sync your amazon reader (or app) and get the new version free of charge.

For everyone else, except RT Fly, here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013W4BLL2

Thanks!
Stu
Old 09-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #11

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Avast this scuttlebutt and belay the downloading while I stow the patent log athwartships abaft the mizzen.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #12
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
But RT, I have always thought that a saloon was where you went to drink...oh, never mind, I get it
Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #13
Guru

I've never seen a trawler with swinging saloon doors and I think cowboys with spurs would scratch the teak and holly sole.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #14
Guru

City: AR
But does your new list include...?

Chart - a type of map which tells you exactly where you are aground.

Anchor - a device designed to bring up mud samples from the bottom at inopportune or unexpected times.

Anchor Light - a small light used to discharge the battery before daylight.

Bilge - This is a storage area in the bottom of the boat for all the things you dropped and can not find. Also a mixing area for water, fuel and head output.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
Guru

City: Tavernier, FL
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
I've never seen a trawler with swinging saloon doors and I think cowboys with spurs would scratch the teak and holly sole.
I've never seen one of those hair dryer cones or a tanning bed on a trawler. Maybe a yacht. Is that what we're missing? yacht = salon, trawler = saloon??

we certainly have more in common with the cigars, bottles, and gruff characters found in a SALOON.

Oh I like this one:

"mail buoy"- mythical watch rotation required of newbies and the gullible

"float test" - important diagnostic method used purposefully on particularly difficult projects. Used un-intentionally on valuable, one-of-a-kind bits and on all power tools shortly after purchase to ensure full functionality.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowGypsy View Post
Did you mean "Salon"? ��
He meant saloon. My 1979 edition of Webster's Unabridged Dictionary defines "saloon" as "any large public room or hall designed for receptions, exhibitions, etc, specifically the main social cabin of a passenger ship." Boat builders used it for decades to define the main cabin of a yacht. "Drinking establishment" was several definitions down the list, although, thanks to the dumbing down of America, that's the only definition most Americans know. As the marine industry began in the late '80s to market boats to anyone with a pulse, tradition went out the window and boat builders began to call it a "salon" and I remember great salon-saloon debates on the CompuServe Sailing forum in the '90s.

But there are still those among us who know the real meaning of saloon and still use it.

Now...just for fun...who knows the origin of the term "bridge" for the command center of vessel? Extra points if you know the name of the marine architect who first designed it and the name of vessel .
Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Adelaide
According to "the Oxford companion to ships and the sea" the term stems from when ships were transitioning from sail to steam, with the early steam ships being side wheelers and between each paddle box ran a linking "bridge". They soon learned that if the helm was shifted from the traditional stern of the ship to the " bridge" the helmsman was clear of the soot and also had a much better all round view. Accordingly, as vessels became propellor driven , the steering position stayed forward on what we now call the " bridge".
I can't answer the "who was it " question though, sorry.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #18
Guru

You don't get the extra points, but you're on the right track. A civil engineer/railroad/bridge designer turned shipbuilder named Isambard Kingdom Brunel designed the first bridge on a vessel, a sidewheeler with wheels on both sides that required inspecting every four hours. When he saw how difficult all the machinery and equipment on deck made crossing from one side of the ship to the other, being a bridge builder he realized that a bridge was the solution. It didn't take long for captains and helmsmen of these ships to discover the advantages of the increased height in docking and other close quarter situations. So as the need for a bridge to facilitate sidewheel inspection disappeared with the introduction of propellers, the raised command center became an integral part of ship design, keeping the name "bridge."

Brunel is also known for designin and building three steamships: the GREAT WESTERN, the GREAT BRITAIN and the GREAT EASTERN. The story of each is worth reading: Isambard Kingdom Brunel's Steamships

Ok...final triva question: On what ship was the first marine toilet installed? A free signed copy of my book to the first person who posts the name of the person who designed that ship--and the toilet-- and knows what other groundbreaking equipment he included.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Never seen a boat's "salon" offering nail and hair treatment. Better to have a saloon offering food and refreshments. My boat has a saloon, and addressing it as a salon is a gross error.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #20
Enigma

Greetings,
Ms. HM. "On what ship was the first marine toilet installed?" The Ark. Designed and built by Noah. He was also the first user of an early GPS (dove he sent off to find land).

Tags
dictionary