• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Off the Market-65' Malahide Trawler SOVEREIGN of MALAHIDE $715,000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your kind thoughts, Eduardo. Your words are sincerely appreciated. My skin is as thin as anybody's, but I try to take each opportunity to address valid questions with thorough responses, for those who may quietly appreciate them; even if the question is launched in an ill-intentioned way. While a comment may be only made to feed the ego of an author, my responses are directed to the rest of you, that my find it either helpful, or at least somewhat interesting.

Thanks again, Eduardo, and I hope you and whoever is in your covid bubble this year have a very nice Christmas.

Sovereign is a beautiful and unique vessel, and well priced. I saw her at Skyline right after the fellow who did the original restoration had splashed her. A very thorough refit, as I recall. As you have discovered, special boats and what makes them special are frequently lost on those whose belief in their expertise tends to exceed their actual expertise. I had someone tell me, when I asked what they thought of my boat, that "it looks like a hospital ship". Seemed like they just might have missed a few of her attributes, and I was reminded of King Leopold's remark in the movie Amadeus to Mozart when asked by the composer what he thought of Mozart's symphony. "Too many notes", was the king's reply. Perhaps Sovereign is made up of too many notes for some.

Your boat is fantastic, really, just over the top killer. Its a separate animal from a modern design, it's built with materials that are almost exotic and skills that may vanish. How can you put a value on that? I love a few wood boats, now that I own one. I would NEVER touch a run down wood boat. They are man and wallet-killers. If PROFESSIONALLY tended to, there is nothing like them. My 58' had $750k poured into it 18 years ago. It' like an 18 year old boat systems wise, modern in every way. I could not be happier. I inspected a slightly larger wood vessel yesterday. Is beautiful, but would take $1m or more to bring into this century. It would kill me to take it on. A wood boat, properly designed, built and maintained is from another era, it's analog, like wisdom from around the campfire, thousands of years have apexed on these hand built things that are so functional and fun.

Last edited:
Sovereign is a beautiful and unique vessel, and well priced. I saw her at Skyline right after the fellow who did the original restoration had splashed her. A very thorough refit, as I recall. As you have discovered, special boats and what makes them special are frequently lost on those whose belief in their expertise tends to exceed their actual expertise. I had someone tell me, when I asked what they thought of my boat, that "it looks like a hospital ship". Seemed like they just might have missed a few of her attributes, and I was reminded of King Leopold's remark in the movie Amadeus to Mozart when asked by the composer what he thought of Mozart's symphony. "Too many notes", was the king's reply. Perhaps Sovereign is made up of too many notes for some.

Thanks very much! A lot of people lump wood boats into one category, not realizing there is a huge difference between Sawn Frame, steam bent frame, carvel planked, strip planked, cold molded, etc. That's the way it goes. Yah, my friend I bought her from bought her, bought the boatyard, had his guys strip her and rebuild/wire/plumb/equip her. He's the one that put 1.5 mil into her. Wiring and all that jazz was fine so I put a new Northern Lights in her, nav gear, 10 or so in upholstery, etc. She's been a sweet home. Not sure if someone would appreciate her if they hadn't been through a few boats. Simplicity was my goal. She's nice at anchor or the dock, and I've had her out in some 20' high with short duration episodes as well. The right buyer will fall in love and worry about which chart plotter she has later, like her last owner, then me.
Thanks for your kind thoughts, it's a nice departure from the negativity that seems to thrive on the internet. Merry Christmas to you, sir, Walter Wallace

Your boat is fantastic, really, just over the top killer. Its a separate animal from a modern design, built with exotic materials and skills that may vanish. How can you put a value on that? I love a few wood boats, now that I own one. I would NEVER touch a run down wood boat. They are man and wallet-killers. If PROFESSIONALLY tended to, there is nothing like them. My 58' had $750k poured into it 18 years ago. It' like an 18 year old boat systems wise, modern in every way. I could not be happier. I inspected a slightly larger wood vessel yesterday. Is beautiful, but would take $1m or more to bring into this century. It would kill me to take it on. A wood boat, properly designed, built and maintained is from another era, it's analog, around the campfire wisdom from thousands of years apexed on these hand built things that are so functional and fun.

Hey Thanks.....LOVE your boat. I was hauled in PT and had a new stem put in WN RAGLAND at Haven Boatworks in '18, and admired your boat often. I had this boat, Sovereign up there as well, docked in the commercial basin, and housed my crew in my boat while Ragland got her new stem. I used to have a shop, behind the showers in the PT boatyard. I attached a pic of Ragland, you may recall her.
Thanks very much for your hello, and have a very nice Christmas, Walter Wallace ragland.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks, didn’t mean to be disrespectful to the owner or whoever listed this boat. It’s a fine boat and obviously been very well taken care of. At a typical market price it will be very serviceable for a new owner.

Ironically, after I posted my response we were looking back on some boats we considered in the past and guess what? YES, THIS WAS ONE! We kept the info and a video on this boat and it was originally MARCH 2019! I think this is a perfect example of my point and exactly what I was talking about. You think the market has responded? I do.

This boat has been on and off the market now for almost 2 full years. When do the owners finally react to the market conditions or do owners just hang on hoping for a sucker to overpay? It’s possible someone will pay the asking price or close to it but unlikely it’s someone who’s done their homework.

Been here a week and already a curmudgeon. Must be the holiday season.

A nicer approach might be to ask the OPs price rationale. Who knows, maybe there's a lesson in it somewhere.

Merry Christmas

Peter

Merry Christmas to you too. We’ve actually been here longer but lost our original username and couldn’t recover it. Not trying to shade the original,siting but trying to add some realistic observations to the listing and the overall market. If you’re looking to buy you can find these examples all over the place.

Hand crafted by those who understand and respect the sea. In contrast to many current offerings in the global marketplace, SOVEREIGN's hull form was first, all else followed.

Understanding the importance of this, and appreciating the beauty and strength of her hull, SOVEREIGN's previous owner found the vessel, bought a boatyard in the PNW, had her completely redone, then sold the boatyard. New mahogany framed house, not an inch of original wiring, or plumbing, cabinetry of milled solid teak, and as you will find the list goes on. She is my home, and I have loved cruising her. Below, you will find my website, devoted entirely to her.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Majestic.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Majestic.
Hello Sir, and thanks so much for you kind thoughts. I am a big Fleming fan. Love things like reinforcing the hull for grounding, etc. Great boats. Thanks for your kind words about mine. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Hey folks, didn’t mean to be disrespectful to the owner or whoever listed this boat. It’s a fine boat and obviously been very well taken care of. At a typical market price it will be very serviceable for a new owner.

Ironically, after I posted my response we were looking back on some boats we considered in the past and guess what? YES, THIS WAS ONE! We kept the info and a video on this boat and it was originally MARCH 2019! I think this is a perfect example of my point and exactly what I was talking about. You think the market has responded? I do.

This boat has been on and off the market now for almost 2 full years. When do the owners finally react to the market conditions or do owners just hang on hoping for a sucker to overpay? It’s possible someone will pay the asking price or close to it but unlikely it’s someone who’s done their homework.

Hi there, Dan from Alabama,

My boat comes on and off the market due to several factors. I live in Seattle, and work in Southern California. I skipper a sailing ship, I used to own, WN RAGLAND, pictured earlier in this string, and featured when I owned her, in Yachting Magazine, back in the March of 2011 issue. Her original owner now owns her again, and I do 100% of the work on her from sailing her, to her engine room, building her new masts and rig in 2014, and sewing her sails. Additionally, there is a third wooden collector item in the mix that I am repowering and restoring.

Sometimes I am caught with a boat in San Francisco (the collector item restoration), my boat Sovereign, which was in Seattle, and WN Ragland, here in California.

This was the case in 2019. I had to go to sea on WN Ragland. I decided to put my boat on the market. I came back from sea. I took my boat off the market and cruised the PNW for a while.

To further complicate things, there is a place called "Boaters Resource" it is a scam site that lists other business's activity, then sells advertising based on lifted listings. An old listing from a Canadian broker, who had Sovereign listed prior to my buying her is still visible on that site. I have tried repeatedly to contact them to no avail. No phone number, no address, and their contact us button does not function.

I happened to be cruising on Sovereign early this year when Covid lock downs struck. I was in Washington and it was a tight lock down. I spent several months on my boat, unable to see my kids and their kids. I then came down the coast on my boat and have been working to collect the fleet in one location. Unfortunately, that location is 1100 miles from my family. Being unable to commute back and forth on Alaska Airlines, as I used to do, here I sit with three boats in my care.

I am spread a bit thin right now, and I miss time with my family.

I have provided twice my rationale, including specifics on direct brand/model to brand/model pricing comparisons. Further, I owned my own wooden boat brokerage, and closed it so that I could do what my clients do, and spend more time cruising and doing the work I love. I was, and continue to be successful in the yacht business. I have some clients that I buy for, because of my history with them as well. I am immersed in this business.

I would agree that my boat coming on and off the market is a failed market attempt, due to over pricing, and my desire to find a "sucker" as you call it; but then we would both be wrong.

I appreciate your compliment on my boat, and you are right. You are offensive. You complimented my boat, and actually jump right past that and insulted me.

I am 62 now, and healthy enough to handle the 100 year old sailing ship at sea, and she is a handful---my boat is easy, I drive her in my jammies. But in 10 or so years, I will be a has-been. For now, I am living my dreams.

You see, Dan, I have sold too many boats for widows, whose husbands waited too long to finally buy their dream boat. There is one boat that comes to mind, a really cool Tayana 42 pilothouse that I sold three times, twice for widows.

Those guys were dreamers and shoppers, as we say in the business, as opposed to clients and buyers. Dreamers is a good word, we all do it. In high ticket sales circles, the word shoppers is a not a compliment. They were selfish. They didn't have the balls to do it while they were able, waited too long, reading magazines, going to boat shows, and wasting commissioned sales people's time. They then bought a boat they were too old to drive and burdened their widows with a boat that rarely, if ever left the slip.

The only opinion regarding pricing I value,is the person that steps up, makes an offer in writing with earnest money deposited, regardless of the size of that offer. Wooden yacht and ship owners are different than other types of yachts. Without one exception in twenty years, the first question when I present an offer has NEVER been the usual "how much and when"; it is ALWAYS who is the buyer. Have they had boats before? I have never seen a wooden boat deal go through when the buyer uses knit-picking this and that, nickel and diming the seller. If the seller does not have faith that the buyer is right for the boat, the deal never goes through. Price is secondary. These boats are worth what they are worth, and do not depreciate, like a model year 2006 boat does.

In closing, I have provided comps on real boats and real deals here in my responses for you and others here. I have even compared Sovereign to new builds. There is only one Sovereign of Malahide, and there may very well be only one buyer for Sovereign. People who have been aboard know what she is. That buyer is not going to care what brand plotters are on the boat. A real buyer will offer what he or she can afford, and I will consider it. That's the way it works, based on my twenty years of doing this.

As I said, I am on my way too fast to becoming a has-been, but I will take that any day over being a never-been. You know......a shopper.

Good luck with your shopping, Dan. Merry Christmas to you, and please make my Christmas a bit more tolerable by keeping your unsolicited opinions, incorrect assumptions, and thoughts to yourself.

Last edited:

Contact a broker, ask to run a search on soldboats.com with parameters : Power ex sportfish / Hull Wood / Length 60-70 / Location North America / sold from 2010 to date.

That would give you both at least a neutral basis to start further discussion from, beyond speculations in public, if both of you are seriously considering a sale / purchase of this vessel.

Just saying …. and out!

Wallace - sounds like you have deep subject matter expertise in marketing and selling classic yachts. I'll preface by saying I am not in the market for a boat at any price beyond a dinghy replacement, and if I was, the price is well past my comfort zone even if the most amazing deal on the planet. And I like tropical climates so wood would not be on my list.

But I do like classic boats, and own a minor example (1970 Willard 36), albeit a production boat vs a one-off like Sovereign. And I do have a slightly ulterior motive - when my restoration is complete, Weebles will have no peer amongst Willards. She will be over improved to an embarrassing extent. But she will survive me, and I wonder how she might be marketed not just to fetch the highest price, but to find the right buyer. I've seen several grand dames get sold to well meaning but under capitalized and under skilled owners seeking a deal. It's not a pretty story.

Im not sure my exact question, except to say I am curious how to elevate a fine example of a boat when there are ample market examples of much lower price points? I would think that the buyer of a wood boat is not in this price bracket, and the buyer of a capable trawler in this price range would rule out wood. How do you find that buyer and navigate the challenges?

In house construction, custom design and built almost always calls a premium price. The market seems to recognize custom design normally equates to higher quality and can fetch a higher price. Dump $500k into a house and you can fairly accurately estimate what fraction (or multiple) of return you will receive back at resale. But there comes a point where no matter what you put in, the market will stall - you've over-improved.

With yachts, it's much murkier. Truly custom yachts - one-off examples, even classic ones like Sovereign, are often orphans in the market.

Example. In 1967, the owner of Sees Candies in San Francisco had Art Defever design a wonderful steel trawler Starlight (picture attached). Over the years, she's been impeccably maintained and upgraded at what I would imagine was considerable expense. She has sold a couple times over the last 20 years I've tracked her, most recently a couple years ago where she languished for a couple years at an asking price of around $500k as I recall, probably sold for low $400s.

Robert Beebe boats, arguably the Dead Sea Scrolls of trawler aficionados, rarely sell quickly or well despite their impeccable provenance.

Final example - it was a bit sad to see a 65 foot aluminum trawler get advertised on this TF site for close to $800k. It certainly had "The Look" and seemed fairly priced. The owner just updated to say the boat finally sold for under $400k. I had to wonder if the initial asking price was a bit grand - if they'd started at something closer to $600k, would it had sold quickly for $500k? Who knows, but I do think market duration is unkind to hard assets.

How do you balance all the influences for selling a unique boat? I sincerely hope Sovereign sells for a princely sum as the new owner will be more likely to maintain her. But I would find the whole selling process a bit nerve wracking.

Peter Screenshot_20201219-050834.jpeg

Absolutely spot on! You’re quite astute in analyzing the sale of any boat, in particular a custom one off classic design like this one. There are no real comparables so one’s left to contemplate the similarities like size, age and amenities. It’s difficult to value “classic” or “hand made” personal property of any type. There might be very few true aficionados of such types but it only takes one to make the sale. The uniqueness and originality creates difficulties in selling any asset because it could languish for months/years on the market and becoming shop worn. We’ve kept a reasonably detailed notebook of boats for sale, boats sold and boats removed from market even if we didn’t consider them as possibilities. It’s why I found this one in our old notes. We’ve become “market wise”, as the Admiral refers to it. It’s been interesting observing tends in boat sales and owners motivations.

When a boat is put on the market, in the public domain, you are asking for unsolicited commentary. It’s the byproduct of selling anything, not just boats. It can also be very emotional and personal because the owner has typically invested unimaginable time, effort and resources making it difficult to separate the personal from business. It’s one of the reasons why brokers exist. Soliciting and receiving feedback should be welcomed, not rejected. I’ve never known a seller of anything that didn’t want feedback. It’s not always what you want to hear but if one is serious about selling you need to know every bit of public perception you can get.

Regarding your comments about initially pricing a boat (or any asset) too high then coming down later is another spot on observation. In our experience this is a mistake many people make and one we’ve made ourselves. There are plenty of anecdotal examples showing this practice results in lower net to the owner. There are many people, like myself, who are reluctant to even make offers if you think they might be insulting or ridiculous. If I was interested in Sovereign I would not make an offer because I would not want to insult the owner. Just another case of giving feedback which I would tell a broker but unlikely to tell a seller directly. You can almost view this forum and the “Boats For Sale” section as a broker. The owner should just accept observations as one persons opinion and correlate it with other opinions as they formulate their efforts to sell. Taking it personal will likely not help sell the boat.

75Driver - the OP has worked in and has special knowledge of a niche market. Sovereign is in a location where there is greater acceptance of a boat like her. Given the OP's credentials, unlikely I can provide education for him. He's well aware of the challenges - I'm sure he has many more stories than I do of overpriced boats that languished, but he also has stories of high-priced boats selling. I have no idea if Sovereign is overpriced or fairly priced. Price seems high to me but then again, the prices on Barrett Jackson auctions cars seem high too. I just don't know the market for classic cars - I'm the type of guy who would buy an old mustang for what I thought was a deal only to find out I picked the one year that was a turkey (made-up story). I'd like to know if this is a special hidden market, or just a museum piece that has special attraction looking for the one buyer who must have it. Unlike cars and motorcycles, boats this size have no collector value, so finding The One Buyer is difficult - sounds like the OP has experience here.

I'd like to know how the OP navigates the market for niche boats as he has apparently created a successful business within that seam of the market. I'm looking for his best thinking about the difficulties, not knocking him. Plus, selfishly and at a much lower price point, I myself may find myself in a market with an exceptional example of a specific craft.

I'll be blunt. 75Driver, I found your messaging was unnecessarily disrespectful. I too wonder about the price rationale, but I now wonder about what sounds like a sliver of the market. The OP seems quite comfortable and confident, and I have to think he's right that there are special buyers. As a Jewish grandmother might say "for every pot, there is a lid". The OP seems content he can find the lid for his pot. I wanna know how he will do that. I may have a pot for sale someday too.

Peter

Last edited:
Hey Thanks.....LOVE your boat. I was hauled in PT and had a new stem put in WN RAGLAND at Haven Boatworks in '18, and admired your boat often. I had this boat, Sovereign up there as well, docked in the commercial basin, and housed my crew in my boat while Ragland got her new stem. I used to have a shop, behind the showers in the PT boatyard. I attached a pic of Ragland, you may recall her.
Thanks very much for your hello, and have a very nice Christmas, Walter WallaceView attachment 111579
Love your boat! If I was younger it would be on my list. Sounds like your shop in PT was perhaps Dave Thompson's old shop? Always wondered what happened to people like him and Miguel that helped us work on our boats over the years. Our shop was the big Satellite Shelter behind the old Shipwrights building and the highway. Wasn't Ragland Neil Young's boat?

Tator

Hi there, Dan from Alabama,

My boat comes on and off the market due to several factors. I live in Seattle, and work in Southern California. I skipper a sailing ship, I used to own, WN RAGLAND, pictured earlier in this string, and featured when I owned her, in Yachting Magazine, back in the March of 2011 issue. Her original owner now owns her again, and I do 100% of the work on her from sailing her, to her engine room, building her new masts and rig in 2014, and sewing her sails. Additionally, there is a third wooden collector item in the mix that I am repowering and restoring.

Sometimes I am caught with a boat in San Francisco (the collector item restoration), my boat Sovereign, which was in Seattle, and WN Ragland, here in California.

This was the case in 2019. I had to go to sea on WN Ragland. I decided to put my boat on the market. I came back from sea. I took my boat off the market and cruised the PNW for a while.

To further complicate things, there is a place called "Boaters Resource" it is a scam site that lists other business's activity, then sells advertising based on lifted listings. An old listing from a Canadian broker, who had Sovereign listed prior to my buying her is still visible on that site. I have tried repeatedly to contact them to no avail. No phone number, no address, and their contact us button does not function.

I happened to be cruising on Sovereign early this year when Covid lock downs struck. I was in Washington and it was a tight lock down. I spent several months on my boat, unable to see my kids and their kids. I then came down the coast on my boat and have been working to collect the fleet in one location. Unfortunately, that location is 1100 miles from my family. Being unable to commute back and forth on Alaska Airlines, as I used to do, here I sit with three boats in my care.

I am spread a bit thin right now, and I miss time with my family.

I have provided twice my rationale, including specifics on direct brand/model to brand/model pricing comparisons. Further, I owned my own wooden boat brokerage, and closed it so that I could do what my clients do, and spend more time cruising and doing the work I love. I was, and continue to be successful in the yacht business. I have some clients that I buy for, because of my history with them as well. I am immersed in this business.

I would agree that my boat coming on and off the market is a failed market attempt, due to over pricing, and my desire to find a "sucker" as you call it; but then we would both be wrong.

I appreciate your compliment on my boat, and you are right. You are offensive. You complimented my boat, and actually jump right past that and insulted me.

I am 62 now, and healthy enough to handle the 100 year old sailing ship at sea, and she is a handful---my boat is easy, I drive her in my jammies. But in 10 or so years, I will be a has-been. For now, I am living my dreams.

You see, Dan, I have sold too many boats for widows, whose husbands waited too long to finally buy their dream boat. There is one boat that comes to mind, a really cool Tayana 42 pilothouse that I sold three times, twice for widows.

Those guys were dreamers and shoppers, as we say in the business, as opposed to clients and buyers. Dreamers is a good word, we all do it. In high ticket sales circles, the word shoppers is a not a compliment. They were selfish. They didn't have the balls to do it while they were able, waited too long, reading magazines, going to boat shows, and wasting commissioned sales people's time. They then bought a boat they were too old to drive and burdened their widows with a boat that rarely, if ever left the slip.

The only opinion regarding pricing I value,is the person that steps up, makes an offer in writing with earnest money deposited, regardless of the size of that offer. Wooden yacht and ship owners are different than other types of yachts. Without one exception in twenty years, the first question when I present an offer has NEVER been the usual "how much and when"; it is ALWAYS who is the buyer. Have they had boats before? I have never seen a wooden boat deal go through when the buyer uses knit-picking this and that, nickel and diming the seller. If the seller does not have faith that the buyer is right for the boat, the deal never goes through. Price is secondary. These boats are worth what they are worth, and do not depreciate, like a model year 2006 boat does.

In closing, I have provided comps on real boats and real deals here in my responses for you and others here. I have even compared Sovereign to new builds. There is only one Sovereign of Malahide, and there may very well be only one buyer for Sovereign. People who have been aboard know what she is. That buyer is not going to care what brand plotters are on the boat. A real buyer will offer what he or she can afford, and I will consider it. That's the way it works, based on my twenty years of doing this.

As I said, I am on my way too fast to becoming a has-been, but I will take that any day over being a never-been. You know......a shopper.

Good luck with your shopping, Dan. Merry Christmas to you, and please make my Christmas a bit more tolerable by keeping your unsolicited opinions, incorrect assumptions, and thoughts to yourself.
So well put sir I to am in that mid sixties category and enjoying the dream that we could afford, and know we will have memories in 10 years rather than just the lists of boats we wished we had bought. Good luck with your sale, I have never seen anything quite as stunning. those that have seen her in person obviously are blown away by her majesty. Cheers

Contact a broker, ask to run a search on soldboats.com with parameters : Power ex sportfish / Hull Wood / Length 60-70 / Location North America / sold from 2010 to date.

That would give you both at least a neutral basis to start further discussion from, beyond speculations in public, if both of you are seriously considering a sale / purchase of this vessel.

Just saying …. and out!

.....and to find the asking price of a Selene, I would just search power ex sportfish/hull fiberglass/length 60-70/ location north america/2010 to date?

Because all fiberglass boats are the same, right?

I just posted a classified ad, not a post in general discussion. I have tried to stick to facts, because I know nobody wants my opinions. I tried to offer help on the best teak treatment out there, when somebody critiqued my varnish. I did receive a response to that, another critique on my spelling.

Is this what you guys really do all day?

I will figure out how to turn off notifications and let you guys have at it. I feel sorry for your next classified poster.

What do you guys do for fun, go to Porsche dealers and grind on them about their pricing? Tell tell them they should use different paint? Tell them you would buy one, but you can get a bigger car for less?

I am so done here. 20 years doing this internationally, and I never realized all the answers are right here.

So well put sir I to am in that mid sixties category and enjoying the dream that we could afford, and know we will have memories in 10 years rather than just the lists of boats we wished we had bought. Good luck with your sale, I have never seen anything quite as stunning. those that have seen her in person obviously are blown away by her majesty. Cheers
You are very kind in taking the time to write. I really appreciate it. Kind in deed, too kind for this crowd.

Have a wonderful Christmas sir.

Wallace - sounds like you have deep subject matter expertise in marketing and selling classic yachts. I'll preface by saying I am not in the market for a boat at any price beyond a dinghy replacement, and if I was, the price is well past my comfort zone even if the most amazing deal on the planet. And I like tropical climates so wood would not be on my list.

But I do like classic boats, and own a minor example (1970 Willard 36), albeit a production boat vs a one-off like Sovereign. And I do have a slightly ulterior motive - when my restoration is complete, Weebles will have no peer amongst Willards. She will be over improved to an embarrassing extent. But she will survive me, and I wonder how she might be marketed not just to fetch the highest price, but to find the right buyer. I've seen several grand dames get sold to well meaning but under capitalized and under skilled owners seeking a deal. It's not a pretty story.

Im not sure my exact question, except to say I am curious how to elevate a fine example of a boat when there are ample market examples of much lower price points? I would think that the buyer of a wood boat is not in this price bracket, and the buyer of a capable trawler in this price range would rule out wood. How do you find that buyer and navigate the challenges?

In house construction, custom design and built almost always calls a premium price. The market seems to recognize custom design normally equates to higher quality and can fetch a higher price. Dump $500k into a house and you can fairly accurately estimate what fraction (or multiple) of return you will receive back at resale. But there comes a point where no matter what you put in, the market will stall - you've over-improved.

With yachts, it's much murkier. Truly custom yachts - one-off examples, even classic ones like Sovereign, are often orphans in the market.

Example. In 1967, the owner of Sees Candies in San Francisco had Art Defever design a wonderful steel trawler Starlight (picture attached). Over the years, she's been impeccably maintained and upgraded at what I would imagine was considerable expense. She has sold a couple times over the last 20 years I've tracked her, most recently a couple years ago where she languished for a couple years at an asking price of around $500k as I recall, probably sold for low $400s.

Robert Beebe boats, arguably the Dead Sea Scrolls of trawler aficionados, rarely sell quickly or well despite their impeccable provenance.

Final example - it was a bit sad to see a 65 foot aluminum trawler get advertised on this TF site for close to $800k. It certainly had "The Look" and seemed fairly priced. The owner just updated to say the boat finally sold for under $400k. I had to wonder if the initial asking price was a bit grand - if they'd started at something closer to $600k, would it had sold quickly for $500k? Who knows, but I do think market duration is unkind to hard assets.

How do you balance all the influences for selling a unique boat? I sincerely hope Sovereign sells for a princely sum as the new owner will be more likely to maintain her. But I would find the whole selling process a bit nerve wracking.

Peter View attachment 111580

You are correct, it is a challenge. I do wood, not steel. I am focused. Before we move on, please note Vicem yachts. I have friend that has one. Wood boat. He paid over 3 mil. They go to 6 mil and beyond.

There are others, but I am exhausted. Tired of beating this dead horse here. As I move to hit the send button on this reply, I am literally looking out my window at my breakfast bar aboard my boat. There is another couple on the dock taking a picture of Sovereign. It happens often, and more often on weekends.

Good luck folks.

Love your boat! If I was younger it would be on my list. Sounds like your shop in PT was perhaps Dave Thompson's old shop? Always wondered what happened to people like him and Miguel that helped us work on our boats over the years. Our shop was the big Satellite Shelter behind the old Shipwrights building and the highway. Wasn't Ragland Neil Young's boat?

Tator

Yah Tator. I bought Ragland from Neil and now he owns her again. I skipper her and have been on her between my ownership and Neil's for 13 years.

I've learned a lot from Dave over the years. I like Dave a lot. Many happy years in my boartyard shop. Some of the best in my life.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Absolutely spot on! You’re quite astute in analyzing the sale of any boat, in particular a custom one off classic design like this one. There are no real comparables so one’s left to contemplate the similarities like size, age and amenities. It’s difficult to value “classic” or “hand made” personal property of any type. There might be very few true aficionados of such types but it only takes one to make the sale. The uniqueness and originality creates difficulties in selling any asset because it could languish for months/years on the market and becoming shop worn. We’ve kept a reasonably detailed notebook of boats for sale, boats sold and boats removed from market even if we didn’t consider them as possibilities. It’s why I found this one in our old notes. We’ve become “market wise”, as the Admiral refers to it. It’s been interesting observing tends in boat sales and owners motivations.

When a boat is put on the market, in the public domain, you are asking for unsolicited commentary. It’s the byproduct of selling anything, not just boats. It can also be very emotional and personal because the owner has typically invested unimaginable time, effort and resources making it difficult to separate the personal from business. It’s one of the reasons why brokers exist. Soliciting and receiving feedback should be welcomed, not rejected. I’ve never known a seller of anything that didn’t want feedback. It’s not always what you want to hear but if one is serious about selling you need to know every bit of public perception you can get.

Regarding your comments about initially pricing a boat (or any asset) too high then coming down later is another spot on observation. In our experience this is a mistake many people make and one we’ve made ourselves. There are plenty of anecdotal examples showing this practice results in lower net to the owner. There are many people, like myself, who are reluctant to even make offers if you think they might be insulting or ridiculous. If I was interested in Sovereign I would not make an offer because I would not want to insult the owner. Just another case of giving feedback which I would tell a broker but unlikely to tell a seller directly. You can almost view this forum and the “Boats For Sale” section as a broker. The owner should just accept observations as one persons opinion and correlate it with other opinions as they formulate their efforts to sell. Taking it personal will likely not help sell the boat.

I DO accept and have consulted professionals and other sources for pricing. I have been doing this a long time.

A steakhouse will be critiqued by their patrons. Many of the comments here, to continue the metaphor are vegetarians. This is a classified forum. If I were seeking advice on varnish, pricing, my spelling, etc.; I would have posted an item in the General Forum area. Why in the world would I ask someone who has never bought, sold, or even been aboard, a similar vessel, what they think of my boat, varnish, pricing.....anything?

Peter View attachment 111580

If I'm not mistaken, the Sees Defever was being offered as an AbnB boat last I saw her listed along with her live aboard SF slip, she went sub 400k as I recall for a wonderful trawler. While more than I needed if the timing had been right I would have had a toss, I love a steel ship. Your observations are true, unusual or oddball boats can languish as many are attuned to the marketing hype and tunnel-visioned on just a few mass-produced boats, only special buyers are willing to take on an orphan.

I DO accept and have consulted professionals and other sources for pricing. I have been doing this a long time.

A steakhouse will be critiqued by their patrons. Many of the comments here, to continue the metaphor are vegetarians. This is a classified forum. If I were seeking advice on varnish, pricing, my spelling, etc.; I would have posted an item in the General Forum area. Why in the world would I ask someone who has never bought, sold, or even been aboard, a similar vessel, what they think of my boat, varnish, pricing.....anything?

First I'd like to say, beautiful boat, a real piece of finery in all aspects. Secondly, this is a tough crowd with a multitude of varying attitudes as well as experience levels, I actually don't believe most own or have owned a boat but I digress... Wooodies are often looked at as relics, dinosaurs that have just not tipped over yet and when they run through this forum most chime in with the typical horror stories and woes of ownership while many have never owned a wooden vessel. My family did and we had great times on her, I understand the needs of a wooden vessel and frankly love the characteristics of a well built wooden boat. I'm working on a 45' classic sloop deal now even though I'm at 10* N latitude, I have as much real Honduran Mahogany as I will ever need and I want to build her with my son. My point is this, the average Joe doesn't grasp the craftsmanship and artistry involved in building and maintaining a woodie let alone a classic piece of history that was painstakingly built and cherished through the decades. For those, any plastic boat will do as long as it has the commensurate bells and whistles which, is certainly fine, I've owned fiberglass boats too. The buyer of this gem of yours will be someone that understands quality, as well as the unique qualities of a one-off survivor, can offer. She's a beauty and I sincerely hope you find the right steward for her, give it time and remember, there's an ignore button here for a reason =) Merry Christmas and check out this page to post her on, all quality wooden vessels. offcenterharbor.com

The buyer of this gem of yours will be someone that understands quality, as well as the unique qualities of a one-off survivor, can offer.
Lets hope so but unfortunately I have over the years seen several stunning restorations done and and then clueless buyers take them over and let them turn to shite
How is it that dumb people seem to have money?
She's a beauty and I sincerely hope you find the right steward for her,
Indeed.

Inheritance knows no intelligence quotient LOL... I have bought and sold many fine items in my life and for those that held a special place in my heart, money at the time of sale was secondary to finding the right fit with a new owner, I get a feeling that this Malahide will be given the same consideration when its time to pass the torch, she won't be sold to the first moron with a wad of cash and a gleam in his eye, at least like you, I hope not!

Not the first time a classified was turned into something else,by lots of posts from the uninterested. OP is not asking for a mark out of 10, on price, condition,selling, or anything. If it doesn`t sell, his problem not yours. He doesn`t want the gratuitous advice. You know better? You`re sure he should learn from you, but he doesn`t want to, and he said so. So please,listen, it`s not so hard.

Apologies to the OP.

BE NICE !

Here are the forum rules for those who are not familiar with them:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules

The Trawler Classified area of the forum is not a place for general discussion. To criticise items for sale, including pricing, is at best inconsiderate behaviour, and in some cases may well be crass, or ignorant and motivated by a selfish agenda.

Please just be careful to note which area of the forum the thread you are reading resides in before jumping in boots and all. And even then, you will be better received by members as a whole if you check your boots at the door before getting in front of a keyboard.

Reading up on the listing I think it’s spot on. Most people would not take a “Nordhaven for free” if given the opportunity to buy Malahide. Pretty much all the tall pilot house boats are not seaworthy and the majority of vessel owners would never consider a Nordhaven over Malahide. Great insight.

Reading up on the listing I think it’s spot on. Most people would not take a “Nordhaven for free” if given the opportunity to buy Malahide. Pretty much all the tall pilot house boats are not seaworthy and the majority of vessel owners would never consider a Nordhaven over Malahide. Great insight.

Do you actually believe this?

Wouldn't take a Nordhavn for free.. really?

Sovereign is a fantastic boat but that is like saying you wouldn't take a Tesla over the worlds best 1985 Mercedes SEL.

Tall pilothouse boats un seaworthy?. How many Nordhavns do you know that have been lost due to poor design vs how many wood hulls have been lost from a sprung plank or open seam?

Don't get me wrong, I HAVE been a wood trawler owner, owned one of the last wood GB hulls. It was a great boat, built well, perfectly maintained.. no hull issues whatsoever. It was very quiet and had a great feel but I would of traded her for a glass hull in a minute.

Hollywood

Hi Guys,

I ran this classified ad, thinking that here is a group of Trawler people, that may consist of people learning about trawlers, and may be interested in my boat, or have a friend who wants a trawler.

When you have an ad here, you get an email when someone responds. I figured when I ran the ad, that the responses would be questions a prospective buyer may have.

Me, being someone with an item to sell, go to my ad, when notified, so that I can respond promptly to a prospective buyer.

I had mistakenly thought that debates, opinions, general chatter, occur in General forum topics.

When my phone signals thread activity on my boat, I stop what I am doing, go to the thread (because it only shows one comment and says it will not send anymore, until I go to the site).

So, now I know that is not the case. People who have never boarded or seen my boat, and most likely any of the Malahides built by Southern Marine, feel compelled to use this ad as a basis for comments and opinions. I did not place this ad, to convert a fiberglass or metal boat guy to a wood boat guy, or a semi-displacement guy, like a Defever or Grand Banks guy to a full displacement guy. I didn't even post the ad to persuade someone who thinks that she is priced too high to change their mind. You know, live and let live.

I figured, like any advertised item, if people were not interested, they would scroll past and move on.

I'm just a guy with a boat for sale. I am a wood boat guy. I am not trying to convert any of you.

I don't go to each of your pages, and discuss my perceptions of your boat's shortcomings. You see; I know you didn't ask what I think, and you don't care what I think.

This is a classified ad, not a discussion forum.

I have asked twice now for my ad to be pulled, as all this chatter is not helping my sales effort.

I have known Hollywood8118's Ocean Alexander long before he bought it. He obviously prefers it to his last wood GB. Yah, I am from Port Townsend and know his 40'er, Otter.

My rhetorical question is, why does Hollywood find it necessary to voice his preference for fiberglass over wood in my wooden yacht ad?

Hollywood, you just walked into my diner, and took a big crap on my lunch counter, and walked out.

Furthermore, I got a notification on my phone regarding this pearl of wisdom, so that I could stop what I was doing, go this site, just in case there was a sincere question about my boat here, only to find the everlasting fiberglass vs wood debate lives on. I now know there is a guy in my old boatyard that likes fiberglass, over wood.

Maybe I should fit in better with this group. Maybe I should scroll through the ads and post my opinions about their pricing, or why I like my boat better than theirs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom