• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: Mainship 1981 34' For Sale Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbohannan

We had a death in the family and have acquired this beautiful Mainship Trawler and I have been tasked with finding a buyer for it. After cleaning it out and up and adding new carpet she has begun to come back to life. The engine (Perkins T6.354M) has been idle for several years. The boat was lived on for these past years as well. My dilemma is....do I invest in getting the engine running before I try to sell her. I'm asking $9,500 for her but with the engine running, A/C, Navigation instruments, etc. all working it looks like she would be worth between $20K to as much as $40K. I have attached some pics and would love to have feedback.

Attachments

• Mainship.jpg
    Mainship.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 381
  • Mainship Pic1.jpg
    Mainship Pic1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 417
  • Mainship Pic2.jpg
    Mainship Pic2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 450
  • Mainship Pic3.jpg
    Mainship Pic3.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 443
  • Mainship Pic4.jpg
    Mainship Pic4.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 456
  • Mainship Pic5.jpg
    Mainship Pic5.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 496
Renovate her, keep her for yourself, and enjoy cruising aboard!

L.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. gb. Sorry for your loss. It may be worth your while to hire a knowledgeable honest mechanic for a couple of hours to see if the engine actually runs. If you decide to just sell it, $9.5K could easily be a super deal for someone AND you wouldn't have to give any thought about moving on. Any boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Have you even attempted to start the engine?

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'll assume you are not a boater for purposes of this reply. Do not put another penny into this boat and sell it asap. The only way to make a small fortune in boating is to start with a large one.

At $9,500 it should generate plenty of leads and sell reasonably quick. Dump $10K into it and hold out for $25K and you'll still own this boat a year from now. Fixing up boats generally only pays dividends if you intend to keep it and use it for a couple years. Just my opinion.

Good luck with your sale.

No I haven't even attempted to start her yet. I may pay a mechanic to give me an assessment. We all are "boater's" it's just a matter of how much we are willing to admit to it and more importantly how much we are willing to act on it! :) Thank you all for your thoughts.

I had basically the same boat with lots of cool toys added on. A sale price of $40k is highly, highly unlikely. I'd vote for spending a limited amount to see if it runs and then selling for a price based on the result. The longer is sits, the more it costs. I'd suggest you get the cash you can and move on. Good luck!

No I haven't even attempted to start her yet. I may pay a mechanic to give me an assessment. We all are "boater's" it's just a matter of how much we are willing to admit to it and more importantly how much we are willing to act on it! :) Thank you all for your thoughts.

Hmmm... :blush:

You went through the trouble to replace the carpet.

Why not check the oil, and the coolant on the engine...

Then turn the key.

She might start.

If she doesn't you might check the battery, since it might need replacing.

Anybody can do these things without hiring a mechanic.

Kinda complicated but the short version is after the death, and being from out of town, I spent my 2 days cleaning the boat and didn't get to the mechanical part. But also, the electrical has been disconnected from the starter and was just used for live aboard purposes only for several years. But to your point, once the mechanic hooks up the starter it may kick over nicely. I'll be back to the boat after Memorial weekend and will update with my findings.

Sorry for your loss.

In the world of Mainships the copper globe thing in the galley will add some value.

:socool:

Can't imagine the batteries are anything but discharged fully. Still worthwhile firing up the charger and giving it a shot with some knowledgeable help. If the engine starts the seawater pump is dry and will overheat in a few seconds.

Sorry for your loss.

In the world of Mainships the copper globe thing in the galley will add some value.

:socool:

Maybe I should eBay mine :)

Agree with most of the advice here. Don't assume that sinking time and money into the boat beyond finding out what you've got is going to have a payoff.

ForumRunner_20170512_213254.jpg

Get an assessment before deciding. If you find out it's going to be inexpensive to get it running, then probably makes sense to do so. If it seems like it will be very expensive, then probably not worth it. Then the buyer who will make sense will be a DIY buyer who won't pay retail to get it running. Now, with it not running, any buyer will penalize you for maximum cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom