• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: Hatteras 48 LRC - Wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gwkiwi

Guru
Vessel Name
Takes Two
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
My wife and I are looking for a new boat and she really likes my firends Hatteras 48 LRC.

If you know of one of these oldies but goodies for sale that is currently not on "Yachtworld" etc please shoot me an email.

These boats come with a variety of power plants and in a variety of condition. We are looking for a solid boat in good condition to very good condition for a fair cash price anywhere in the US considered.

Let me know if you hear of any that may fit our needs.

thanks Gerald

If you try the Hatteras LRC Clubs website, you'll probably have some luck with a few owners there. It's a fee based website, but I believe you can search their classifieds free of charge. Good people there. Very informative.

PM me if you can't find the site. Not sure if I'm allowed to post another site here. I belong to so many forums, I can't keep the rules straight!!

I have only heard of one boart without Detroits

I believe one of the members on this sight owns it and it's in Mexico. I believe it's for sale. Hopefully he will chime in. I happen to be totally in love with mine. By far the best sea boat I've been on. Very complicated boat electrically and mechanically. So if your not handy they might not be a good fit.

Having been on Steve's boat he is right, it is a beautiful functional boat, thay will take you where you want to go. Good luck in your shopping.

This broker just re listed one that sold two weeks ago but the new owner just did some homework and found that the boat can not do the loop due to it's fixed height. Just makes one wonder.

Any way I'm not connected with this in anyway but I can tell you it is an outstanding example of this type of boat. I know the previous owners and when it came to repairing the boat money was never an object. The boat has just had several surveys as in Hull in and out of the water, engine and transmission. The hull was done by one of the best surveyors in this part of the country and it passed with flying colors as did the other surveys.

John Peterson
Cell: 910.546.5760
Fax: 252.635.6446
E-mail: jpeterson@unitedyacht.com

Good luck. If I can be of any help the boat is just four slips down from mine.

That boat closed last week, but new owner wants to already go bigger, so that boat is back on the market. Call him today!

Already in touch with broker although I believe the asking price compared to recent comps was too high but we will see
Thanks

I can tell you that from what we have seen, it is in AMAZING condition for a late 70's LRC

There is/was what appeared to be a very nice Hatteras 48 LRC for sale on the east coast.

The boats name was Play Pen and the owner was Fred Heron I believe.

At $349,000 it was way over priced when one in Charleston SC just closed for less than $135k and one I know personally in the bay area was purchased a few months ago through forclosure at $50k plus another $70k put into it.

Either way especially in todays economy I am only interested in looking at boats much more appropriately priced.

Thanks for passing that info along

At $349,000 it was way over priced when one in Charleston SC just closed for less than $135k and one I know personally in the bay area was purchased a few months ago through forclosure at $50k plus another $70k put into it.

Either way especially in todays economy I am only interested in looking at boats much more appropriately priced.

Thanks for passing that info along

You've really got to be careful when judging the price of a boat.

The problem is that you may not be comparing apples to apples.

The older a boat gets the more difference in price between project boats and pristine examples. It just depends on what you are after.

Do you want a boat to make a project out of??? Then buy the cheapest one out there. With either considerable time or money you can have a great boat.

But beware, you will either be devoting years of your life to the project; or you can quickly find yourself spending more dollars than if you'd bought the pristine example.

Do you want a pristine example of a 35+ year old boat? Then expect to pay more for it. Allot more. Personally I think that in pristine condition a 48LRC is worth every bit of the high 200's, and I wouldn't shy away from looking at boats in the 350 range and making a reasonable offer.

Last edited:
I agree and having been involved in boating for 35 years I know that you need to compare apples to apples, that being said even after allowing for options like engines, electronics, stabilizers, davit systems etc there still has to be a common sense approach to any major purchase.

With various options available to show comps on recently sold boats it allows one to make a smart decision based upon the mind and not the heart. Buying from the heart is something that all of us are victims of, at least once.

Also many times sellers believe their boats are worth more and buyers believe their purchases are worth less so sometimes an impartial honest survey is key to determining an accurate value which is why finance companies require them.

Again thanks for your thoughts

I agree and having been involved in boating for 35 years I know that you need to compare apples to apples, that being said even after allowing for options like engines, electronics, stabilizers, davit systems etc there still has to be a common sense approach to any major purchase.

With various options available to show comps on recently sold boats it allows one to make a smart decision based upon the mind and not the heart. Buying from the heart is something that all of us are victims of, at least once.

Also many times sellers believe their boats are worth more and buyers believe their purchases are worth less so sometimes an impartial honest survey is key to determining an accurate value which is why finance companies require them.

Again thanks for your thoughts

Agreed!

I went the buy cheap and fix up approach. I had a professional shipyard perform a complete refit of my boat.

In the end I think I got a better boat, but the cost was on par, and even a little bit higher than I could have purchased a pristine example of my model for.

Did you even make an offer? Did you see pictures? Peterson is notorious for his pricing. Not that it's always too high, sometimes he wants to price boats too low. I assumed you talked to him. He's a great salesman and knows all the tactics. Almost every 48 LRC on YW is in the high 200's. To fluff off the low 300's in the first meeting might have you miss the boat you want. Now then, if the high 200's is too much jack for you (and it certainly is for me), well, that's another story altogether. I'm just saying that this is a fine example of Hatteras yacht building and one of the nicest and most talked about boats in our marina. Just sayin'.

Tom-

purchase prices

you made a comment concerning the availibility of obtaining "sold" prices.I was unaware that you could get these without being a broker.Could you share the links please. Thankyou

Bargin boats

The 48 LRC is a complicated boat with a lot of very expensive components. I paid in the high 2's for mine in what I felt was a near pristine boat. The owner had started in the low 4's and was asking in the mid 3's when I offered just under 300k. After survey the price negotiated into the high 2's. I have at least 60k in upgrades and repairs in the first three years. To replace one of these new would be over 1mil maybe closer 1.5mil depending on equipment.

Nothing on these boats is light weight or light duty, breakers can cost almost $500. Isolating transformers look like house services and air-conditioner control panels are. If you aren't a good boat mechanic, electrician, plumber this is not the boat for you. I know of a 48 that sold for 115k in Stockton two years ago. It needed a lot of help but had good engines and running gear. The forward deck and salon roof had extensive de-laminated coring. The boat had been neglected for several years. The boat sold as is and went to Washington to be restored by a very qualified marine electrician. He will put many many hours into this boat bringing it up to my starting point. I had made an offer on the boat and had both mechanical and marine surveys done bringing the price down from the 195k asking price. When I backed out I had done a cost survey and to bring this boat to the condition and equipment level of the what I thought was the turn key boat I bought would have put me in the 390k range starting at the 115k counter offer. And that was with me doing the work and no cost included for my labor.

A two part paint job on a 48 will exceed 100k easily. These old boats are great boats but they weren't cheap new and they aren't cheap to make like new. Why spend the money yourself when you can benefit from a well maintained boat.

These boats hold close to 1500 gallons of fuel times $350 gallon is $5200, if that fuel is bad you have a 1500 gallon toxic waste dump, it costs a boat yard around $8 a gallon to dispose of bad fuel, that's $12,000. I

f you can't afford a 2.5 k 48lrc than you probably can't afford a 70k one. I don't mean this to sound arrogant but it is probably the reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scary
Thanks for your comment although I dont agree with your comps. In reviewing a very recent survey of a 48 LRC the very detailed survey listed replacement cost at $800k and that was loaded with stabilizers.
In todays environment there are still people who need to sell and for those of us looking to purchase, although its is not as good as it was two years ago the market is still a buyers choice.
I am not looking to buy in the 70k range that you referred to those low comps were just ones that I was personally aware of, in my opinion a fair price for a good 48LRC is somewhere around $150K to $200k depending on all sorts of upgrades, conditions and locations. As we all know CA is an expensive place to buy, store and operate a boat compared to other areas of the country which is a shame.
Again I appreciate your comments and congratulate you on your 48LRC which looks to be in excellent condition, I will be in your neighborhood cruising the week after next and hope to see you out on the water.

Again I appreciate your comments and congratulate you on your 48LRC which looks to be in excellent condition, I will be in your neighborhood cruising the week after next and hope to see you out on the water.[/QUOTE]

If your in the Walnut Grove, Locke area stop by, We are on the side tie at the boat house in Locke just in front of Al the Wops. We can talk about the systems and construction of the 48 and what to look for if you decide to get serious about buying one.

Gerald. Hi, I am the person that Scary mentioned in a earlier post who has a 48 LRC for sale. It is currently docked at Paradise Village Marina in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico (about 5 miles north of the Puerto Vallarta airport).

Freedom is one of the few (2 or 3 at most) 48 LRC's that were built with 3 staterooms and most likely the only one that was equipped with 120 Lehmans rather than the 2 stroke Detroits. She was refitted and updated in 2000 by the previous owner. Since we have been cruising the mainland coast of Mexico and the Sea of Cortez for the past 8 years it also has a rather extensive inventory of spare parts for both the generators and the mains.

We are interested in selling simply because we have been cruising for 8 years and it's time to move on to something new. Freedom is listed with Vallarta Yachts in Nuevo Vallarta and you can see photos and a detailed description of her on their website which is www.vallartayachts.com. I have it listed for slighly higher than what you note you are willing to pay but I certainly would be willing to work with you if you are seriously interested. Please checkout the listing and get back to me. Mexico, especially the Gold Coast (Vallarta to Zijuantanejo) and the Sea of Cortez, is a magical place to cruise and if you transit back to the "states" in mid to late June the infamous Baja Bash is not much of a Bash. I have knowledge of an excellent delivery captain who delivers all over the Caribbean and the US and Canadian west coat. We are home for the summer (Northern Nevada) and get down to the delta several times a month as we have an old (really old) houseboat at Willow Berm Marina in Isleton that keeps us amused in the summer.

Richard Williams
MV Freedom
e-mail rnrwilliams@clearwire.net
Brokers website www.vallartayachts.com

Last edited:
I will check out the listing, currently (8/31) we are anchored in Mildred Island watching all the Sea Rays get their circle organized, near the south west corner. We were at Willow Berm for two days earlier in the week and I really like that marina and left favorable reviews on Active Captain

Have to be back in CO late week but will get back to you soon - thanks Gerald

Hi Gerald,

The Hatteras website under Samsmarine.com has a Hatteras For Sale section that you should explore. In the past, I've seen Hatt 48 LRC's for sale and there may be a couple on there now. Boats are not selling fast so you should even look at older ads. Go to Samsmarine.com and click on Owners Forum and then scroll down to the For Sale section.

Good luck.

Karl

Sorry folks,but my post has nothing to do with purchasing the hatteras.It is GWkwi that is looking.We both have the same first anme,but i am the one getting the PM"s.

tinped,

I'm new to this website, but I just got your reply emailed to me. I think that (maybe) once we reply in a thread, we get all the other replies also. I may be wrong and I'm trying to figure out how to manage my participation.

My wife and I are looking for a new boat and she really likes my firends Hatteras 48 LRC.

If you know of one of these oldies but goodies for sale that is currently not on "Yachtworld" etc please shoot me an email.

These boats come with a variety of power plants and in a variety of condition. We are looking for a solid boat in good condition to very good condition for a fair cash price anywhere in the US considered.

Let me know if you hear of any that may fit our needs.

thanks Gerald
Hi Gerald take a look at my new listing here on the 50 footer my price is neg ,,

Hi all, a bit new here but felt I needed to get in this conversation since Playpen is the LRC the wife and I bought a little more than a year ago and I noticed it was mentioned as an overpriced vessel. First, yes we paid more for our LRC than others on the market, but not the $350 asking price. Second, if you haven't stepped onto a 48 LRC with a nearly 10 foot long cockpit it may be hard to truly understand, the extension to 53 feet was done by Hardgrave in Washington state. Finally, the previous owner took excellent care of our boat by rebidding windows before they leaked, by running 2 micron filters in all racors and closely monitoring pressure, hauling the boat at least every two years to inspect and paint the hull and gear, and I can go on and on. Not sure who said you can always get one really cheap but we are glad to have our Belle. First time we drove the boat was an 800 + mile, 21 day trip to bring her home. Flawless operation except for self inflected water and inverter issues. We looked for quite some time for a trawler and knowing the LRC's we could not believe our eyes when we found this 48 stretched to 53-foot beauty. If you are wondering about what trawler to buy - the LRC's are floating bowling balls that can safely take you just about anywhere. The previous owner had her 28 years, took her to every state you can get a boat of this size to except Hawaii. Even a trip to Bermuda. I may be preaching to the choir here (remember I'm new to this forum) but what other 1978 boat can you actually have a phone conversation with the guy who engineered the electrical system? American made, tough as nails, the Detroit 4 53 motor's big brother (6 71's) saved our butts in WWII and they just keep on going. We are happy as hell to have her and look forward to meeting more LRC'ers in the coming months and years.

Hi all, a bit new here but felt I needed to get in this conversation since Playpen is the LRC the wife and I bought a little more than a year ago

So, you're the ones that bought Playpen!

From the photos that is a fine looking boat!

When we went boat shopping one of the boats we really wanted to consider was a 48 LRC. The problem was that the last really nice LRC for sale on the west coast was bought by a friend (and TF member) about a year prior.

If Playpen would have been on the west coast we would have loved to look at her. I hope you get as much use out of her as the previous owner.

BTW, I never thought she was really over priced, at least not from the photos and description. The one my friend bought was originally listed for $335K if memory is correct.

If you're still in the market for a 48 Hatteras LRC, we've just posted ours for sale; M/V Outback. We have an open listing with Frank Gordon, however we can sell her on our own. She's listed for $284,900.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom