Vessel Model: Marine Trader
Mark
If you don't want to post your number, your can text me at 410-303-9541
Jack
Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Southwest Florida
Vessel Model: Albin 36 single diesel
Thanks to everyone who has contacted me regarding our boat. If I wasn't clear, I am flexible on the $44.9K asking price, but I wasn't hoping to give the boat away. Again, all systems are operational and we still routinely are using the boat on weekends, but are planning to either be boatless until retirement (five years away) or possibly pick up a small RV in the interim. The boat is turnkey, just in need of someone who's willing to use it more than we are as working types. I welcome questions, inspections, and offers. Here are a few more photos during the time we've owned it. Another upgrade I made since the previous owner was removing the PO's 100 feet of galvanized 5/16" BBB chain. All but the first 40 feet of the all-chain rode was rusted in a cannonball sized iron mass in the chain locker. It took hours to free the chain using an angle grinder and 3-pound maul. Fun is an understatement, but connotations beginning with the letters "fu" nearly describes the experience. In late 2017 replaced the previous rusted chain with new, 5/16" BBB galvanized chain, but before I installed the 120 feet of chain on the boat, I installed two 6" X 8" transom zincs in the bottom of the chain locker to serve as anodes for the galvanized chain. I also converted the previous saltwater anchor chain and deck washdown system to a freshwater self-rinsing anchor rinse system using $3.29 of Lowe's lawn sprinkler hardware (see photo). Again, all cash (no owner financing) offers are welcomed. Originally listed at $44.9K but will consider fair market value offers. Includes 2014 West Marine RIB dinghy (NO leaks!) and 1998 two-stroke Johnson 15-HP outboard engine (runs great). I will miss those nights on the anchor, grilling out under moonlight on the stern, with the wind spinning the wind turbine to ably charge the house battery bank. It's a great boat -- take the initiative and USE IT. You won't be disappointed. Thank you, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Most fun ever.jpg   Freshwater Anchor Rinse.jpg   20180602_135247.jpg   20180728_201448.jpg   20190511_141715.jpg  

Comin' home.jpg   Dinner.jpg   Half moon.jpg   P4121397.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2019, 10:01 AM   #23

City: Fremont
Vessel Name: Ring of Fire
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
albin 36

call if want to show your boat 616 540 0674
Old 12-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #24

City: tampa
Hello,
I'm local here in Tampa and would love to take a look at your boat whenever you're available. 813-309-3207
Hunter
Old 12-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Good morning Hunter, thank you for your email and interest in our trawler. At this point I have plans this upcoming weekend and will follow up with you regarding showing you our boat. Have a terrific day and remainder of the week. Mark
Attached Thumbnails
20191207_174715_HDR.jpg  
Old 12-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Hi Pete, thank you for your email and insight on your similar Albin 36 trawler. That's great to know your trawler has maintained its value since your purchase 8 years ago. I can't say mine has, but what I lost in financial value over 7 years I doubly regained in family memories and living the intermittent year-round Florida cruising lifestyle. But then again I haven't had a new $20K engine installed, so in this regard our boats are in the same overall financial price range. ;-) I'm most intrigued with your new engine comment however -- so did you rebuild your existing engine or repower? What engine did your boat originally have and what does it have now? I've only ever owned this Ford Lehman and like the reliability, fuel economy, and ease of DIY preventative maintenance on this engine. When we do eventually replace this trawler I'm looking for another with a single, naturally aspirated engine. -Mark
Attached Thumbnails
20191207_174614.jpg   20191207_174747_HDR.jpg  
Old 12-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

A few more photos from the past few years and even 2012 following our purchase. Boat also includes spare parts and tools (complete [7/16" through 7/8" standard size and "stubby"] chrome plated wrench sets, all sized flat and Philips head screwdrivers, 1-7/8" and 2" shaft packing wrenches, oil change wrench, hacksaw with spare blades), DeWalt 18V cordless drill, 110V tight space right angle drill, Makita electrical sander, one-gallon Shop-Vac, multiple clean and dry 3 and 5 gallon jerrycans (I used them for dinghy 50:1 mixed gasoline, used engine waste oil storage for recycling, and mixing of 20 quarts engine coolant (40% Prestone:60% distilled water)), two gallon Topsider manual vacuum pump for Lehman engine oil changes, mooring line bridle and freshwater hose for anchor chain, plastic swim buoy, stainless steel dinghy anchor and line with section of stainless steel anchor chain, various sized like new boat fenders, vast array of 12V fuses in every size imaginable, spare 12V LED bulbs for all lights aboard, various boxed engine and genset components including NEW impellers, belts, primary Racor and secondary Wix fuel filters, Fram PH-8A oil filters, six gallons (two oil changes) Shell Rotella straight weight 40 engine oil, hardware and fasteners, electrical components and connecters, spare wind turbine blades, new Ford Lehman fuel injection lines and fuel injectors, spare Lehman mechanical fuel lift pump, spare intact Jabsco 36660 bilge pump with spare parts and spare motor, spare Jabsco potable freshwater pump with various spare parts, spare 3-bladed 18" X 24" bronze propeller, fender boards, contractor bag containing various length anchor and spare mooring lines, mesh bag of kids' beach toys, two adult vest style lifejackets with whistles for dinghy use, mattress sheets, teak and fiberglass cleaners, 2-cycle outboard engine oil and 90 weight lower unit lube, bucket containing Regal Red Rust-O-Leum paint (matches Ford Lehman color), Cetol natural teak stain and gloss finish for all teak brightwork and Gel-Stain as well as brushes for painting transom if desired. There are also multiple engine and genset spare parts aboard the boat which include but not limited to: spare Lehman raw and freshwater hoses, spare Lehman oil line hoses, spare 100 amp alternator, spare shaft and hull zincs, spare Lehman freshwater pump (new in box from American diesel Corporation), brand new spare 12 volt Jabsco potable freshwater pump, Lehman primary and secondary fuel filters, engine oil filters. All spares are boxed, neatly organized and labeled, and ready for use. They fill the back of a Toyota Tacoma. Thanks, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Spares 1 of 2.jpg   Spares 2 of 2.jpg   April 2014  .jpg   April 2014.jpg   Cayo Costa Key.jpg  

Dry Tortugas.jpg   March 2012 when we bought it.jpg   Egmont Key 2012.jpg   To Keys.jpg   Sombrero Key.jpg  

Old 12-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Thank you to everyone who contacted me about the boat. The boat has been sold. I am now considering seeking counseling. -Mark
Attached Thumbnails
20191214_120015.jpg   20191214_073729_HDR.jpg   20191215_073156_HDR.jpg  
Old 12-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #29
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARROT ADVENTURE View Post
Thank you to everyone who contacted me about the boat. The boat has been sold. I am now considering seeking counseling.
That must have been traumatic. I can't imagine how it felt watching that beauty steam away.

As for anyone who calls that the "second happiest day," I'd say they're not a real boater.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thank you, CaptTom. And thank you to everyone who has messaged me about the sale of our boat, pricing, experience in selling the boat, etc. I had originally advertised the boat locally (throughout Florida) on Craigslist with mixed results. I then advertised it here on trawler forum with similar results. In both cases I elected to not hire a boat broker to assist in the sale because I know more about our boat than anyone else could describe to a prospective buyer. I showed the boat to a total of 15 prospective buyers since October, most of whom were couples and a few bachelors. Following their tours aboard the boat, folks: (1) didn't ever follow up with me again, (2) made low cash offers, (3) didn't like the offset queen berth, (4) wanted to remove the Lehman and "...install a Cummins 375 turbo diesel", (5) wanted a bowthruster, (6) were looking for a faster boat (i.e., "...how many MPH is 6 knots?!?"), (7) wanted less engine hours on the Lehman, (8) insisted the boat needed to be painted (WHAT???), (9) couldn't find a marina to live aboard it, (10) first asked me "SO, HOW FAST DOES IT GO?", or (11) somehow then didn't have their previously offered finances available after they arrived safely home. I was fortunate to have a buyer(s) who liked how the boat was maintained and appeared, and aren't afraid of continuing the DIY required maintenance and upkeep. We agreed on a price below my asking price, I accepted but didn't cash their certified bank check as deposit, and we agreed to the sale based upon a handshake and a conditional successful underway sea trial the following weekend. The following weekend arrived and the sea trial went flawlessly. To execute the purchase, I signed over the USCG Documentation, boat's and dinghy's Florida registrations, and they provided me another certified bank check for the remaining difference between our agreed price and their deposit check. We shook hands, vowed to keep in touch, and I cast off their lines. I remained on the dock until the boat rounded the turn in the ICW, outbound through Clearwater Pass, thence headed into the Gulf. Both the buyer and seller were pleased with the transaction.

As background, we paid $55K for the boat in 2012 and I made quite a few upgrades to the boat in the seven years we've owned it and of course maintained all brightwork (teak), electrical, and mechanical systems so the boat would remain "turnkey ready" for the future buyer. In reviewing current internet listings for similar aged Taiwanese-built trawlers, $1000 per foot seems to be a good current market value estimate for buyers and sellers of these boats; however, teak decks and steel fuel tanks can slightly devalue a boat. Conversely, having reliable and fully functioning mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems aboard add to the resale value.

The value of personal satisfaction knowing our boat will continue to be maintained and regularly used is worth far more to me than the difference between my asking price and the selling price. Thanks, Mark
Old 01-10-2020, 05:36 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Hi everyone, with the boat sold and our slip pre-paid for a period of time we decided to slightly downsize. I'm thinking to retrofit the current boat with a small Lehman diesel. Thanks, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
20191214_073729_HDR.jpg   20191224_114131.jpg  
Old 01-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #32

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Go for it, the color is correct!
Old 01-11-2020, 01:02 AM   #33
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Yes, a part of you goes with the boat when she goes away....

Are the new owners from around here (SW FL)?

Mark, I hope you stick around here on TF and contribute more of your good humour and insight. I liked the photo of your anchor washdown system so much I am thinking of copying it.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Old 01-26-2020, 07:01 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Hi Mrs. Trombley, et al, thank you for your email and feedback. I'm glad you liked our freshwater anchor chain rinse system I designed and installed. Perhaps my favorite part of the project was trying various lawn sprinkler heads to identify the pattern which would best rinse the chain without using too much water. I found the 360-degree pattern, dialed down to have a three-foot range, works the best. As part of that project I also installed several large transom zincs in the bottom of the chain locker before installing the new 5/16" BBB chain to serve as anodes. Yes, the buyers of our boat are local. This past weekend my boating neighbor friends saw the boat out at anchor and sent me this picture. Me seeing the picture makes me smile in that I recall our previous seven years of ownership and cruising lifestyle, and I'm glad to see the new owners USING and enjoying the boat as it's meant to be. If you hadn't already seen them please check out my gallery linked to my profile here on Trawler Forum. All the best, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20871.jpg  
Old 01-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #35
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I know just how you feel about selling a loved boat. It's a relief to be done with the selling process, it's nice to have a certain amount of cash on hand, even nice to not have to worry about how the boat is doing when you are away, not having to spend time commissioning in the spring and closing up in the fall, but...

You still miss your boat!

Every time I sell a boat I know I will be a buyer again at some time in the future and I tell myself I will be SOOOO careful and buy only the exact boat I am looking for. It sometimes works and sometimes, not so much.

Congratulations

pete
Old 03-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #36

City: Nicholasville
Albin 36 for sale

Hello,
I am a member of the Trawler Forum. Is this vessel still available as of 3/4/2020? Thanks, Cpt. Chuck
Old 03-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Hi Capt Chuck, Thank you for your interest in our trawler. We had the boat listed here on TF late last year and it sold in mid-December. I do miss the boat and the trawler family lifestyle, and decided to sell it because our kids had gotten older and lost interest. It was a terrific experience having owned it for seven years. I encourage you to keep looking -- both here as well as on the various trawler and boat trader websites as well as Craigslist. You will find the boat you're looking for. All the best in your search. Sincerely, Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2018-06-03-10-15-25.jpg   20171111_061036.jpg   20170219_171731.jpg   20170528_120450.jpg   20160616_110013.jpg  

20160615_082448_HDR.jpg   IMG_20161112_174929.jpg   20170722_123233.jpg   20190713_134311.jpg  
Old 03-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #38
Veteran Member

What's happened to my comprehensive write up? I want to share it with other TF members. Please advise. Thank you, Mark