Old 04-15-2017, 02:27 AM   #1

City: Harwich
52' classic

I'm probbing the idea that it's time to consider selling our family airlume-. About the boat- originally built in the 1920's by Major Casey of fairhaven, MA documented length 52'. She was professionally glassed over 6 years ago. She is powered by a freshly rebuilt Detroit 8v71. She holds 500 gal of fuel in 2 tanks, approximately 100 gal fresh water and 60 gal waste water tank. A schooner hull design, she spent the last 80 years as a commercial fish dragger out of Provincetown MA. 3 years ago my late father converted her fish hold into an expanded focsul, his dream was to spend 'retirement' on board up and down the East coast, and last year he achieved his goal. She's presently in the water and mostly retired. I would say she's 75% coastal cruiser and 25% fishing boat. Currently one of, if not the last working eastern rig dragger in America.
All fishing related gear would be removed with the exception of the hydraulic capstan and outriggers (stabilizers).
If your still interested, Google search F/V Richard and Arnold and you'll find tons of pics, articles and history.
I don't have a firm price, and I won't sell her to just anyone. (I'm not even sure the family is emotionally ready to part with her, but reality says it's time to start getting ready). Call or message me for further details. 508-280-2642. Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	63725  

Old 04-15-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Removing the commercial fishing gear and I assume the commercial fishing license, will likely make it much tougher to sell.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 04-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #3

That's the thing, she'd do much better as cruiser, hence why m not trying to sell her as a fishing boat The permits aren't for sale.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

It was my good fortune to get to know Captain Dave when he and his lovely wife dropped anchor in my town. The book she wrote about their life and adventures as a fishing family are among my treasured artifacts. It was our pleasure to share a few brief months of time talking boats. Very sad that he is gone too soon. I know how hard it must be to sell a boat that is so connected to the family, but if that is your decision, I wish you the best in the sale.

[/URL][/IMG]
Old 04-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
What a great history and story told by your family. Hopefully a copy of Nautical Twilight: The Story of a Cape Cod Fishing Family will be included in the sale.

Got some interior pics to share with us? We'd all appreciate seeing your late Dad's hard work.

Best of luck with this very interesting boat.

https://buildingprovincetown.wordpre...d-arnold-2015/

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
Old 04-16-2017, 11:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Why was the hull glassed over? On such an old boat that's usually considered an undesirable feature.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
Guru

Is that a mermaid painted on the wheelhouse?
Old 04-16-2017, 11:52 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Is that a mermaid painted on the wheelhouse?
Sure looks like one to me.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:13 AM   #9

Sorry, mermaid stays with us. It's painted on a piece of plywood. Been her signature for as long as I can remember.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfish View Post
Sorry, mermaid stays with us. It's painted on a piece of plywood. Been her signature for as long as I can remember.
Ok, that`s it, end of discussion.
Seriously,I hope you find the right new home for your lovely vessel. It resembles older style timber fishing vessels seen around our southernmost island state, Tasmania.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 AM   #11
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Why was the hull glassed over? On such an old boat that's usually considered an undesirable feature.

My Rose was fiberglassed over in the 70's. She is double planked cypress and when done correctly will last for several lifetimes. The process down here is called C-flex and was invented by a local man Bill Seemann here in Gulfport Ms. I've seen some less than desirable glass over wood jobs that would be a deal killer in any bodies book but if done by a professional would add tremendous value and peace of mind to the purchase.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
Guru

The crucial thing is the age and condition of the hull when its glassed over. Its usually one of those last resort steps when the planking has gotten so soft and rotten that its cost prohibitive to re plank.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #13
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Check out posts 9, 10 & 11 at this link for a hint of the C-Flex process for old wood hulls:

Mary Elizabeth: 1919 Matthews motor yacht under extensive renovation
Old 04-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Let's move our discussions of glass over wood to another thread to preserve the intent of this Classified Ad.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
Old 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
Guru

Did the op's boat receive this C Flex repair or just the old style FG job? The C Flex process looks like a good one.

FW, we were typing at the same time I think. No harm or intent meant to the OP, just curious.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 AM   #16

I can tell you the process when it was done, the foreman and my father ( he worked as helper) ground the entire hull down to bare wood, then let it dry for almost 2 months inside a shrink wrap building. When a moisture meter determined she was as dry as she was going to get, they hull and deck putty the entire hull with a 1/8 trowel. Then they did 2 layers of 3oz mat un alternatingly directions. She was then hand nailed every 12" on center with stainless ring shank nails. Another layer (or 2? I don't recall) of mat then gel coat. The keel up 12" on each side and areas where the fishing gear touches the hull were give 2 additional layers.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #17

City: San Diego
amazing boat...!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #18
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfish View Post
I can tell you the process when it was done, the foreman and my father ( he worked as helper) ground the entire hull down to bare wood, then let it dry for almost 2 months inside a shrink wrap building. When a moisture meter determined she was as dry as she was going to get, they hull and deck putty the entire hull with a 1/8 trowel. Then they did 2 layers of 3oz mat un alternatingly directions. She was then hand nailed every 12" on center with stainless ring shank nails. Another layer (or 2? I don't recall) of mat then gel coat. The keel up 12" on each side and areas where the fishing gear touches the hull were give 2 additional layers.
sounds close to this method

Covering Wooden Boats With Fiberglass
by Allan H. Vaitses (Author)

says he has never had a failure

Ted
Old 04-20-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Properly done, C Flex or other similar method can give a wood boat a life expectancy similar to cored boats. It's important to keep the wood dry or you'll have massive rot. Epoxy or polyester resin also makes a difference.
You need to decide if you really want to sell. Being too particular will limit your market and cost you money.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #20

Bump