• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

49’ DeFever Raised Pilot House Plan B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob H

My wife and I are in our early eighties and are branching out in our 40 year boating career to include long range cruising. As a former USAF jet fighter pilot, I am looking for a 49’ DeFever Raised Pilot House Plan B that either has (or will eventually have after I get my hands on it) the latest in navigation and communication equipment. Stabilizers, a bow thruster, and a dinghy with an electric trim/tilt outboard would be great! Considering our limited budget, the boat would probably be in the 1985 to 1990 range. We are located in Los Angeles, so a boat on the West coast, I.e., US, CAN or MEX would be preferable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards, Bob H.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your search.

Greg.

Limited budget? What is your limit? That is a relative term. Check Yacht World. As a point of reference there is a 1990 Plan B for sale in Chesapeake, VA for $249k.
My wife and I are in our early eighties and are branching out in our 40 year boating career to include long range cruising. As a former USAF jet fighter pilot, I am looking for a 49’ DeFever Raised Pilot House Plan B that either has (or will eventually have after I get my hands on it) the latest in navigation and communication equipment. Stabilizers, a bow thruster, and a dinghy with an electric trim/tilt outboard would be great! Considering our limited budget, the boat would probably be in the 1985 to 1990 range. We are located in Los Angeles, so a boat on the West coast, I.e., US, CAN or MEX would be preferable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards, Bob H.

Yea, I saw that one too. The price is in the ball park, but the boat is in VA! Want to bring boat into Los Angeles area to get it ready for long cruises. I know all of the mechanics I will need to use here. I don’t know anybody in VA. Same goes for the hull, engine and electronics surveyors. I know I am looking for a needle in a haystack, but I’ve got my fingers crossed.

49’ DeFever Raised Pilot House Plab B

BTW, we were originally looking for a 44’ DeFever like yours. We couldn’t figure out how to get into the boat from a dinghy without having to climb a vertical ladder. The 49’ RPH has a transom door which would make entry easier with bags of groceries, for example. Also, the interior stairs going down to the master and guest staterooms were awkward for us old folks. We had to go down backwards! We are hoping that this problem is fixed in the 49’ RPH, as we have not been able to board one, as yet. The potential for falls seems too great, especially in a boat that has a tendency to roll. What do you think?

It's just my opinion but I think you should reconsider buying this boat. I say this based on your statement that you found it difficult to negotiate the ladders on the DF44. Well, the ladders to the staterooms on the DF49 are the same. Plus, the ladder to the flybridge deck is VERTICAL. Will you ever be able to get up there? Also, consider your ability to easily get into the engine room the necessity of which will be often. Running a DF 44 or 49 requires a reasonably physically fit and agile crew as do most larger boats.

A while back at a America's Great Loop Cruisers Association Looperpalooza in Fort Myers, we opened our boat, as many do at this annual event, to a crawl, an open house of sorts. One gentleman absolutely frightened hell out of me getting on and off. That guy was an accident waiting to happen so much so that my wife and I swore to never open our boat again. Obviously, I have no way of knowing your overall fitness but I encourage you to think hard on all that a boat of this size demands. If I am off base here, I humbly apologize and certainly do not mean to offend.

I am seventy years old and in very good shape, six feet tall, 170 lbs. No back problems, no knee problems but climbing all these stairs and ladders is not as easy as it was just a few years ago. We figure we have no more than five more years aboard before the going gets to be more than it is worth. We are full-time live aboards.
BTW, we were originally looking for a 44’ DeFever like yours. We couldn’t figure out how to get into the boat from a dinghy without having to climb a vertical ladder. The 49’ RPH has a transom door which would make entry easier with bags of groceries, for example. Also, the interior stairs going down to the master and guest staterooms were awkward for us old folks. We had to go down backwards! We are hoping that this problem is fixed in the 49’ RPH, as we have not been able to board one, as yet. The potential for falls seems too great, especially in a boat that has a tendency to roll. What do you think?

Thanks for your insight! We have yet to get aboard a 49’ RPH Plan B. But if the steps/ladders to the staterooms are the same as the 44’, you’re right. It wouldn’t take too long for a nasty fall. I, too, am six feet tall and weigh 180. Still pretty spry for my age but I have given thought to adding one or two younger crew on any extended cruises. BTW, On the 49’ RPH, I thought that the ladder going to the FB from the boat deck was a three step ladder at roughly 60 degrees. Also, the Plan B has a “full” size door from the master SR to the ER. I did read or hear somewhere that the 49’ RPH built by CTF had better designed steps down to the SR’s.

I'm not familiar with a Plan B, but here is an alternative that might be worth considering.

https://au.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/ocean-alexander-mk1-mark-1-3667522/

Similar styling to De Fever RPH. The OA Mk 1 has internal stairs to access the flybridge. It also has a ladder from the cockpit, but I hardly ever use that. ER can be accessed via half-height door from master stateroom in addition to lifting hatches. ER is crawl in, probably not as good as De Fever in that regard.

There`s a difference between internal ladders and stairs, and the "climbing wall" on the transom of some boats. I prefer a conventional cockpit with access "door" from the swim platform. Other issues like docking, boarding animals, etc also come to mind, it`s definitely a valid consideration in choice of boat.

Can't help you with the boat, but God love ya for expanding when in your eighties when most others are contracting.

How many years do you think you will be using this next vessel?

P&S

Can't help you with the boat, but God love ya for expanding when in your eighties when most others are contracting.

How many years do you think you will be using this next vessel?

P&S
. Good question! Probably no more than 3 to 5 years. I look at it as a project for me. Not a total fixer upper, but one that needs new electronics, a bow thruster, etc. I also look at it as a “bug out” boat if things go more to worms than they already are in this country, so our first long range cruise might be to Costa Rica or Panama. Interim cruises in the Sea of Cortez would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom