• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

34 Mainship MK1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm, it’s not the repower I was looking for. Good price. I was hoping to find a repower with some goodies like windless, generator, maybe thruster hard top.

I see you have the same model. What do you think
No about this one?

Slow and Steady, i called on the Craigslist you sent. Voicemail was full. I had a few questions but would run up an look at it today if the seller was available.

I am assuming because one of the highlights in the posting was the sink faucet.

There is no Gen, A/C, and i can see no lower driving station, trim tabs, etc etc.. all workable.. just pondering if 45k on a boat with all of these already is a better value.

I can do the work.. hmmm and i am very paticular.. so it could be a clean slate!

Does your boat have the 200 Perkins? Can i cruise for long periods at 10 - 12 knots with that engine without it running too hard? I am aware of the fuel usage at that speed. Sometimes it sounds and feels wrong to run these deisels at certain rpms, plus boat handling charactoristics.

I hear the yanmar 230 is great at 10-12.

This guy lists the engine as a 230 hp but i think that perkins was a 200 in 84?

I really appreciate you looking out for me. This one was one off of the beatin path! Feel free to private message if you see any. Lots of competition out there.

Regards,

Rob

Thank you, I sent along a text and bounced back as a bad number. I’ll call tomorrow.

Consider some other vessels that will perform similarly to the mainship. I like mine but you'd be potentially missing out on some very well made boats by looking down a narrow path.

Here's a repowered Mainship 34. Yanmar 230hp @ 37k which might be the best deal right now.
1977 Mainship Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Wellcraft California 34 I haven't researched this boat but looks well set up with similar lines.
Used 1982 Wellcraft Californian 34, Merritt Island, Fl - 32952 - BoatTrader.com

Used 1982 Californian 34 Lrc, Pensacola, Fl - 32507 - BoatTrader.com

Hi Mr Wesson,

The 77 you mention above is listed with Superyachts. It is perfection for what I am looking for. I have been e-mailing and talking with the sales guy for over a year. The owner lives in Mexico part time and the boat has come on and off the market. It’s in a unnaccessable barn. Yup I would scoop that one right up! They have it for sale but it’s not viewable lol

I here you on the different options. I really am not looking for the Grand Banks style, I like galley down not galley up with a dinette. I prefer a true salad area, allot of the boats consider a dinette a couch.. it’s not.

Single screw 10-12 knots, not much wood outside.. etc etc.. I really have narrowed it down. To the mainship. I would go for the newer style but the layout in the 34 only started the galley down layout in 2005.. these are $140 k..

Soo, I suppose I just need to be patient. I do advance search’s on the main boat sites with deisel , 20-60k , 34-42 foot just to keep an open mind. I even recently drove to upstate ny to look at a twin Cummins Albin.. aft cabin isn’t for me. I am a cockpit person!

I am sure you must agree with most of my points here and is why you are running the boat you have.

Again, thank you for pointing out these boats. Keep you eyes peeled for old mainship’s for me!

Regards,

Rob

Please excuse my typos, I am using my iPad and I see it auto corrects horribly!

Good luck. You have a very stringent set of requirements. You've narrowed your market very thin. Combined with hopes of finding one repowered and within your price range, you're going to be looking for a very long time before you find your unicorn.

All aspects of boating are an exercise in compromise. This applies to boats as well.

Good luck. You have a very stringent set of requirements. You've narrowed your market very thin. Combined with hopes of finding one repowered and within your price range,
Shame you missed the repowered w/John Deere and 5 kw NL genset on Chesapeake listed with Lippincott Kent Island Md. This one fit your bill, they're around, got to look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done a refit on one and participated in the refit of another. My next door marina dockmate is a 34 MK 1, a 3rd MK1.

That being said, the best stock engine is the 165. Parts are available and reasonable in price. The higher hp Perkins engines have some aluminum parts that are manufacture discontinued that predatory aftermarket suppliers are soaking owners of same dry. The 165 Perkins is sweet and has sufficient power for that hull, even loaded. I had a 250 Cummins, and yes it was a better engine for the boat but economically, not that much better. The 165 of my friends boat was just fine, and a repower would be just silly unless the 165 was blown.

I would look for a 165 Perkins, with the expensive, labor intensive soft decks problems fixed in the cockpit, bridge and side decks. I would look for a fresh 2 part paint job. I would look for the monkey fur gone in the overhead in the vberth with a new mildew proof covering therein. Still more I would look for a kitchen remodel with good refrigeration and updatedcooking arrangements. Also a new sliding door with the deck under the door reenforced. Another biggie, though it sounds small, is the fur stuff the windows. Replacing that is a bear. Upgraded electrical system is also very desirable. Clean, serviced tanks, removed, ports installed and renewed for another 30 years is also important.

The point of that diatribe, from my viewpoint and my experience, there is a LOT more to worry about than the engine. Dealing with the engine is easier and far more straight forward than all the other.

Last edited:
Hi Mule - First I would like to thank you for your in depth insight regarding my search. I will take your input regarding the other issues found with the Mainship along with the limited availability of the parts for the 200 Perkins into consideration as I continue my search.

I am aware of the deck issues and many different upgrades of this specific model.

In my opinion, a proper repowered MK1, even with some soft area's in the deck and a couple required upgrades would instantly satisfy my requirements as I would be able to use the boat as per my intentions right away. The other items mentioned can come in time and also during the usage.

Therefore I am going to have to, with all due respect, disagree with the idea the engine is the easy part. I am determined to have the option to cruise at 12 knots when required and have the option to cruise at 7-8 knots long distance also. I will for sure regret my purchase if I do not follow through with this thought process. It would be like buying a jeep wrangler 4 cylinder automatic and looking over at the straight 6 standard the whole time you own it! (I own the straight six standard) :)

I have seen the 34 MK1 with the 165 listed from 16 - 38K$ I don't feel the MK1 even repowered is going to be worth more than 65K with every possible upgrade already performed.

I think the 20 - 50K range for depending upon the condition of the other items you had mentioned is e very doable price range. So far the most expensive one I have seen was last year a MKIII in Florida was for sale for 65K. This boat was spectacular with the Cummins I think 300 or 310 ? She had hard top custom interior bow thruster, upgraded water dingy hoistst etc etc.

I am lucky now to live near the water and am out on my center council on a regular basis.. I do have the cash saved for the purchase of the Mainship but am not under pressure to buy tomorrow. Don't get me wrong I am aggressively looking, but have made the decision to buy the wrong vessel in the past and feel patience and persistence hopefully will pay off here.

We will keep looking!

Cruise,
Two years ago, I purchased a 1984 MK III, that had been repowered with a cummins bt 210, had a bow thruster (which I HIGHLY recommend on this boat) 5.5kw genny, and NO soft spots. Of all the Mainships of that vintage, IMHO the MK III is by far the nicest, with the transom door, no bulkhead between galley and salon, separate shower and ratio between cockpit and salon. I paid in the neighborhood of 30k, a bit more than some Mainships I looked at but was in good condition and HAD BEEN repowered, which for me was an absolute. I had looked at quite a few with the original perkins, and after talking to some of the mechanics at the marinas, warned me that some vintage perkins parts are extremely hard to obtain, as an example, the turbos and manifolds. I did spend some time and money upgrading the interior and there will be some mechanical upgrades I will need in the future, but on the whole it's a great boat. MY 2 cents is to find a repowered MKIII with a bow thruster that is in decent shape. It won't be the cheapest MS that you find, but in the long run will give you the most pleasure and the least grief....

I have alot of hours on my old perkins that already has 4000 hours. Runs fine and has given me zero problems.

If I was setting off on the loop i'd pony up for another engine(honestly might not) but i'd buy something used and for around 5-8k and refresh(not rebuild) it myself.

Deals can be had on engines. Hell I found a boat, good electronics and with a pair of low hour 240hp volvos for 6k. My mind wanders but the fact is that Perkins will probably live longer than I want it to.

I have(had) soft decks and you're partially right about preferring a boat that has been repowered but not redone to be solid. I'm here to tell you that if you do the work yourself it's terrible.. plain and simple that you'll hate every second.

I had 4 quotes to redo my flybridge all coming in around 5k and that was after I already did my back deck so figure about 7-10k.. For something that wont give you a thrill like another engine. The DIY route is much much much cheaper but when you factor in your time and results there will be a time or two where you'll seriously consider paying someone.

People aren't throwing money at old mainships and waiting around for one that will be repowered might have you on land longer than you think.

Double post but something else to consider.

Mainship's are great, economical and loved by their owners. Because of this some of it's inherent flaws might not be talked about so wanted to take a sec to mention one.

The engine "room" on the MK1 is freaking terrible and I hate working on my engine because of it. A circus contortionist would be uncomfortable. Come to think about it I've actually had a pretty bad toenail injury in there(graphic one).

I've slipped tons of times, had to stand on my driveshaft, and lay on the engine itself. I currently have a bad battery unhooked(old gen battery) that I would have to remove the exhaust to take the battery out so it's sitting there.

This isn't even accounting for the other engine room issue.. Access. You have to remove heavy hatches(and all the carpet if you have it) to get to anything. It gets really really old quick.

Would this sway me away from buying it all over again? Maybe. I'm a DIY guy who enjoys working on things but this has kept my boat from being meticulously maintained like I like my engines to be.

I have it and still love it just thought it was worth saying.

Ya got that straight, access to the engine is a pain in the butt. Once the covers are off, there's ample room to "work" on the engine, change oil, impeller, and general puttering around down there. FORTUNATELY I don't need to get down there all that often since it's a pretty reliable set up. Another "issue" with old Mainships is the fuel tanks... if one starts to leak, you are proverbially (expletive).... either rip up the salon or remove the engine to replace. Again, fortunately, (don't want to say this too loud, the gods may hear me) mine are still holding tight. On the other hand, ANY boat that is 35 y/o is gonna have something to complain about. I do all my complaining sitting in the cockpit (I call the back porch) drinking my G&T while my MS just purrs along.

The aluminum manifold Perkins should be avoided unless a repower is in the future.

“warned me that some vintage perkins parts are extremely hard to obtain, as an example, the turbos and manifolds.”

Cruise,
Two years ago, I purchased a 1984 MK III, that had been repowered with a cummins bt 210, had a bow thruster (which I HIGHLY recommend on this boat) 5.5kw genny, and NO soft spots. Of all the Mainships of that vintage, IMHO the MK III is by far the nicest, with the transom door, no bulkhead between galley and salon, separate shower and ratio between cockpit and salon. I paid in the neighborhood of 30k, a bit more than some Mainships I looked at but was in good condition and HAD BEEN repowered, which for me was an absolute. I had looked at quite a few with the original perkins, and after talking to some of the mechanics at the marinas, warned me that some vintage perkins parts are extremely hard to obtain, as an example, the turbos and manifolds. I did spend some time and money upgrading the interior and there will be some mechanical upgrades I will need in the future, but on the whole it's a great boat. MY 2 cents is to find a repowered MKIII with a bow thruster that is in decent shape. It won't be the cheapest MS that you find, but in the long run will give you the most pleasure and the least grief....

I have done a refit on one and participated in the refit of another. My next door marina dockmate is a 34 MK 1, a 3rd MK1.

That being said, the best stock engine is the 165. Parts are available and reasonable in price. The higher hp Perkins engines have some aluminum parts that are manufacture discontinued that predatory aftermarket suppliers are soaking owners of same dry. The 165 Perkins is sweet and has sufficient power for that hull, even loaded. I had a 250 Cummins, and yes it was a better engine for the boat but economically, not that much better. The 165 of my friends boat was just fine, and a repower would be just silly unless the 165 was blown.

I would look for a 165 Perkins, with the expensive, labor intensive soft decks problems fixed in the cockpit, bridge and side decks. I would look for a fresh 2 part paint job. I would look for the monkey fur gone in the overhead in the vberth with a new mildew proof covering therein. Still more I would look for a kitchen remodel with good refrigeration and updatedcooking arrangements. Also a new sliding door with the deck under the door reenforced. Another biggie, though it sounds small, is the fur stuff the windows. Replacing that is a bear. Upgraded electrical system is also very desirable. Clean, serviced tanks, removed, ports installed and renewed for another 30 years is also important.

The point of that diatribe, from my viewpoint and my experience, there is a LOT more to worry about than the engine. Dealing with the engine is easier and far more straight forward than all the other.

As I was writing this my phone rang and the above boat’s owner’s brother called me with the news that Randy, my refit buddy suffered a massive heart attack and died on the dock next to his boat in Panama City.

The boat is being pulled to be listed in a few weeks on the hard.

This is a very good MK1. Not mentioned in my post is new windlass, 1100 amps of house battery storage, 1000+- solar and a 400 Watt wind turbine. Boat is completely energy independent as long as AC and water heater is off. Bow thruster, very strong. 6.5 kw fresh genset. Good electronics and radar as I recall. All the bells and whistles.

PM me and I will put you in contact with his brother-executor.

Mule

Mr Wesson - Well - that is some good input. I have found myself cutting apart stringers , removing decks, rebuilding transoms... In the middle of each of these projects, I almost wander if I am insane and is this worth it..I will say the more I do of it the better I get!

The good of all that bad.. is usually the finished product is better than factory, and usually everything in the general area of the repair tends to become part of the project..rewire, lights , bilge painting , dingy davits..Soo in my experience the end results are worth it.

I have been the circus act in my Sea Rays..I would pull the engine just to freshin up the area..My fiends would make fun, are you going to pull your engine to change the plugs?

I am not looking for a full rebuild, I don't mind paying for someone's hard work. I have sold boats that were immaculate from all my work.. Not as much $ as I should have gotten.. Maybe its my turn to buy that boat? lol

Well I really like the 2005 or newer 34 Mainship..Sunken galley, engine access through the exterior stair case.. etc etc.. In my opinion the galley on these can use some work , and the head could have a larger counter // sink.

Ok so the 05 is 150K minimum.. I actually like the galley better in yours, also the head and the storage... Pros and cons.. I won't be dishing out 150k any time soon, soo I am on the hunt!

Mule - The boat you speak of is on the West coast of FL. I would consider if it was the one with repower. Thank you for the heads up.

Double post also! Ken M. - I agree with your opinion, it sounds like you really found a good one.

Where did you find your boat, online? What time of the year?

Mr Wesson - Well - that is some good input. I have found myself cutting apart stringers , removing decks, rebuilding transoms... In the middle of each of these projects, I almost wander if I am insane and is this worth it..I will say the more I do of it the better I get!

The good of all that bad.. is usually the finished product is better than factory, and usually everything in the general area of the repair tends to become part of the project..rewire, lights , bilge painting , dingy davits..Soo in my experience the end results are worth it.

I have been the circus act in my Sea Rays..I would pull the engine just to freshin up the area..My fiends would make fun, are you going to pull your engine to change the plugs?

I am not looking for a full rebuild, I don't mind paying for someone's hard work. I have sold boats that were immaculate from all my work.. Not as much $ as I should have gotten.. Maybe its my turn to buy that boat? lol

Well I really like the 2005 or newer 34 Mainship..Sunken galley, engine access through the exterior stair case.. etc etc.. In my opinion the galley on these can use some work , and the head could have a larger counter // sink.

Ok so the 05 is 150K minimum.. I actually like the galley better in yours, also the head and the storage... Pros and cons.. I won't be dishing out 150k any time soon, soo I am on the hunt!

Mule - The boat you speak of is on the West coast of FL. I would consider if it was the one with repower. Thank you for the heads up.

I hear you but IMO the Mainship is a boat built around an engine. Not really but the engine makes access to the bilge almost impossible. Not pushing towards anything just an observation.

You mentioned 150k for a late model but I found this one for 85k which IMO is a killer deal. The new Mainships are a whole nother level in size and livability. https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/d/mainship-390/6574735365.html

I'm rooting for you to find the perfect boat but I think it's going to take the better part of 6 months or a year to find. In the mean time if you travel a bit take the time in every city you go to and walk the docks.. Old timers don't do forums but usually know where to spend their money.

I've found many used engines under 5k with over 200hp(mostly volvo's) with low hours out and about just in case you have the idea that you'll spend 20k on a repower.

My old perkins 160 runs like a champ with 4,000 hours and I don't baby it. I'm getting ready to upgrade the turbo and turn up the fuel pump.. Should net closer to 200hp and after untold of research she'll handle it no problem(even with lots of hours). I'm nearly able to plane and 80% of my cruising is at hull speed but I like to fish offshore.. Sometimes you gotta run. Great platform for do-all.

If its just power you're after there's very little difference in between the 160/185/200/240 engines. The main thing is aftercooling and if you install an exhaust temp gauge.... Not a popular opinion here. You can also install a Perkins 365 head for more flow without sacrificing reliability. The Perkins is just as reliable as anything out there.

Here's a review/test with the 185hp version doing 15 knots. Bet it was loaded light and clean bottom.. She doesn't need big HP

wUKRF7Ml.png

I realize this is splitting hairs, but my olde MKI w 200HP would be pushing a wall of water and the bow riding high at 12knots. In my experience for my boat the absolute minimum planning speed was 13.5knots. At that speed any turn or wake would cause her to come off plane.

Maybe lightly loaded with a lighter engine like a Yanmar maybe 12knots comfortable sustained is possible, but who cruises lightly loaded with 1/4 tank of fuel?

That's knots, not MPH. And by GPS under a wide variety of conditions with typical load. I would usually run her up on plane for a few minutes after each outing, just to clear the cobwebs. Any growth on the bottom or running gear would change the numbers, reported is with clean bottom.

:socool:

I am determined to have the option to cruise at 12 knots when required and have the option to cruise at 7-8 knots long distance also.

Double post also! Ken M. - I agree with your opinion, it sounds like you really found a good one.

Where did you find your boat, online? What time of the year?

Sometimes, I do believe in fate, as in, "when the right boat comes along it will just happen".

Coming back from looking at a MK I in Norfolk Va. which was a disappointing and frustrating trip, was ready to put the boat search on the back burner,I saw an ad in boattrader (as I recall) for a repowered MK III 20 miles from Punta Gorda, which is where I intended to keep her. Had some friends who live there take a look see, and after their approval flew down, did a self survey and liked what I saw. Two weeks of negotiating later, it was my boat. It was just what I was looking for, MK III (layout I like the most) repowered, bow thruster, no soft spots or blisters, interior a bit rough, good strong davits, useless trim tabs, and a 5.5kw genny. A Simrad auto-pilot, which still worked but no longer is supported by Simrad, so when it goes will be spending some boat bucks replacing.

Spent some time re-doing the interior, simplifying the rats nest of wiring that had been done over the past 30 years. As all boats it is always a "work in progress". I will have to look into the vibration I get from the stern at WOT, but that may just be cleaning the prop or maybe the bearing in the bulkhead under the sliding door will need to be replaced. Time will tell.

Anyway, the point of this diatribe is, after some frustrating time searching, the RIGHT boat just came along.... like it was fated.

MrWesson - I have travelled to see a couple not as advertized vessels also. I can’t agree more. As i would like to be cruising the waters this moment in the yet to be found Mainship now. I am willing to wait until i find the fit. I loke you thought about putting it on the back burner. But i am a true salt, and find myself day dreaming about the exact boat you found!

I appreciate all your input , pros and cons. It also solidifies my decision to search for the right one.

If you run into anything pm me.

I hope your boating is going well!! That Cummins will outlive both u and I!

My opologies, my last post was teferring to Ken’s reply. I had adressed MrWesson in error

I realize this is splitting hairs, but my olde MKI w 200HP would be pushing a wall of water and the bow riding high at 12knots. In my experience for my boat the absolute minimum planning speed was 13.5knots. At that speed any turn or wake would cause her to come off plane.

Maybe lightly loaded with a lighter engine like a Yanmar maybe 12knots comfortable sustained is possible, but who cruises lightly loaded with 1/4 tank of fuel?

That's knots, not MPH. And by GPS under a wide variety of conditions with typical load. I would usually run her up on plane for a few minutes after each outing, just to clear the cobwebs. Any growth on the bottom or running gear would change the numbers, reported is with clean bottom.

What I posted what from a brand new boat so i'm assuming..
No added weight(we all add on stuff over the decades)
Fresh engine(does my 160 or your 200 put out 200hp?/who knows)
Clean bottom.
Prepped by Mainship as a test boat(bet your butt it was low on fuel too).

I can't get over the 10 knot hump(slimy bottom) with 160hp but can "plane" with the trim tabs. Tabs don't really do much but since i'm short and like driving from the lower helm I appreciate them bringing the bow down. I can remember getting 12 knots once but it was probably with the strongest outgoing tide with a wind at my back.. Not a popular opinion but i'd like more speed.. If I could cruise @ 10 knots with a top end of 14 i'd be very happy.. I'd still cruise @ 7-8 knots most of the time(boat's home base is a river/not trying to sink small boats).

MrWesson - I have travelled to see a couple not as advertized vessels also. I can’t agree more. As i would like to be cruising the waters this moment in the yet to be found Mainship now. I am willing to wait until i find the fit. I loke you thought about putting it on the back burner. But i am a true salt, and find myself day dreaming about the exact boat you found!

I appreciate all your input , pros and cons. It also solidifies my decision to search for the right one.

If you run into anything pm me.

I hope your boating is going well!! That Cummins will outlive both u and I!

Saw you were replying to ken.

Here's some specifics on my boat which wasn't "a deal". Just a data point.

Solid running perkins 160 with 3400 hours
5.5 kohler genset @ 1000 hours
incomplete sitex autopilot so I bought a used Garmin Tr-1 for $350 and love it
Soft decks both rear and flybridge(rear fixed/flybridge is a work in progress)
windlass, interior comforts(fridge microwave,water heater etc)
New fuel tanks
RV rooftop A/C and lg portable unit(negative vs traditional a/c)
Okay bottom paint
Some high end rewiring/battery charger/regulator/alternators(balmar stuff)
All new batteries
odds and ends.

Needs.
Paint(faded gelcoat/exposed fiberglass in a few places)
Bottom job

Nothing special. Paid 25k on a whim because I wanted to get on the water. Just an okay price but I saw potential(and still do) to turn a 25k boat into a 40k boat... By spending my time.

What I posted what from a brand new boat so i'm assuming..
No added weight(we all add on stuff over the decades)
Fresh engine(does my 160 or your 200 put out 200hp?/who knows)
Clean bottom.
Prepped by Mainship as a test boat(bet your butt it was low on fuel too).

I can't get over the 10 knot hump(slimy bottom) with 160hp but can "plane" with the trim tabs. Tabs don't really do much but since i'm short and like driving from the lower helm I appreciate them bringing the bow down. I can remember getting 12 knots once but it was probably with the strongest outgoing tide with a wind at my back.. Not a popular opinion but i'd like more speed.. If I could cruise @ 10 knots with a top end of 14 i'd be very happy.. I'd still cruise @ 7-8 knots most of the time(boat's home base is a river/not trying to sink small boats).

Saw you were replying to ken.

Here's some specifics on my boat which wasn't "a deal". Just a data point.

Solid running perkins 160 with 3400 hours
5.5 kohler genset @ 1000 hours
incomplete sitex autopilot so I bought a used Garmin Tr-1 for $350 and love it
Soft decks both rear and flybridge(rear fixed/flybridge is a work in progress)
windlass, interior comforts(fridge microwave,water heater etc)
New fuel tanks
RV rooftop A/C and lg portable unit(negative vs traditional a/c)
Okay bottom paint
Some high end rewiring/battery charger/regulator/alternators(balmar stuff)
All new batteries
odds and ends.

Needs.
Paint(faded gelcoat/exposed fiberglass in a few places)
Bottom job

Nothing special. Paid 25k on a whim because I wanted to get on the water. Just an okay price but I saw potential(and still do) to turn a 25k boat into a 40k boat... By spending my time.

I could see myself doing the same thing. Actually I did. I had many great seasons on that boat "Bungalow" 26 ft Sea Ray

It sounds like you are happy with the boat. I appreciate the specs and numbers you mentioned regarding your purchase. I have ran all these numbers through my head!

What did you use for a core material in your cockpit deck when you recored it? Wood? I found this great honeycomb stuff at a local fiberglass supply place (LBI Fiberglass) they are here in Groton Ct. It is flexible with a material cotton feel on both sides with a plastic like honeycomb hollow center. It requires to matt both sides to create a board with a nice hollow strong no rot core.. I wet one side with resin and recored the underside of my center console bow by pushing it up wet side to existing and matting over the underside to create the "Board" in place. It worked out great, I bolted an anchor roller right through it with no back plates and so far so good!

I am wondering as you mentioned above liking to cruise at 12 -14 knots..Does the Yanmar 230 get you there? That extra 30 HP? I like to load boats up with weight also.. I hear larger tabs are very helpful on these.

I will search on! Keep on boating!

Do you think the 230 hp would make a difference, the extra 30 HP? Interesting you feel the 12 knots is an in between speed for the hull because it just pushes a bunch of water..It sounds like 7-8 knots or 14- 16 knots. In between these speeds is not ideal for handling? How did she handle in the 10 knot range?

Cruise ,I was much like you when we first started shopping "trawlers". 10-12 knots was the cruise speed goal I was searching for. I looked seriously at the 28 Cape Dory sedans with the 200 Volvos but really wanted a boat with a separate stall shower. That's what got me looking at the 34 Mainship. Everything I read about them (insofar as what the brokers claimed) said that the Mainships with the 160 Perkins had a cruise of approximately 10 knots. I found out right away after our first sea trial that a 10 knot cruise was a pipe dream. Instead of obsessing with trying to get a higher cruise (we even bought a brand new wheel to see if that made any difference and it made none), I relented to the fact that the cost wasn't worth it and that it was easier (and cheaper) to slow my life down rather than to speed the boat up. One of the first things & one of the the BEST things we did was add a decent autopilot. Since a pilot made the slower than I had hoped for cruise speed more enjoyable, we reduced our cruise even more! We used to run the engine 1850 for a cruise of 8.5 knots. Now we're just as happy at 1650 doing 7.5 knots and it's actually a sweeter RPM for the engine and closer to hull speed for the boat.

Last edited:
Boomerang, i see what you are getting at. In my area, there are many great weekend places to go in the 40 - 50 nautical mile range.. Block Island - Newport - Long Island.. These are all obtainable for three day weekends with the 12 knot run.. soo for now as I have a busy working schedule this would help.. of course I would slow down if I was just cruising local.... but when I have more time and less money.. ( early retirement) I would like to have my vessel ready to go at 2 Gph. I am toying with running to the Carolinas for the winter at that point also... so I think I really have t(3 higher power picked out to satisfy my plans.

I looked at a mk1 this weekend with the 165. It was in Long Island, and had the fuel tanks replaced and anew generator. Priced cheap, like 27k owner would probably taken 22-25k needed all new electronics, Flybridge needed record, decks needed work, no canvas.. I am not necessarily looking for inexpensive, I am willing to pay if I can find one that the value is there. I am not looking for a full rebuild. We will see. The good thing is I am not in a rush.

Ditto to Boomerang.
When I found out that 8.5 was the best the Volvo could do, I was disappointed. Then I thought back to my sailing days and realized that 7 knots was plenty. I was not running a race, I was trying to get out of one.

Back
Top Bottom