• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

1986 Monk 42 For Sale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RossWilson

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
I've just begun to market my Monk 42 trawler. It's in terrific condition with over $50,000 in upgrades and improvements over the past few years. Check out the details here:

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/383503/monk-mc-cruiser-42-georgian-bay-ontario.

Keep in mind that due to the horrendous exchange rate between the Cdn and the US Dollar, Americans certainly have the advantage when buying a Canadian boat.

Also consider that this is a Georgian Bay, Ontario fresh-water boat. Comments are always welcome. Thanks.

I've been advised that my asking price was a little high and have adjusted it downward. It's now priced exactly as evaluated by a highly experienced and qualified marine surveyor last year.

Greetings,
Mr. RW. I always like to see ER pictures. Thanks. I might add, a fresh water boat can usually command a somewhat higher price.

Last edited:
Thanks RT. And I've been told the same thing that fresh water boats usually get a premium. If you hear of anyone interested, let me know. RW

By the way, the engine room looks good; quite clean. At the next opportunity, I'll snap a couple of shots for posting. Thanks for the tip.

Nice ride! I am not in the market as we continue to Monk 38 but am interested to know what Davit System is depicted in the photograph. I removed the crane and am looking to carry the tender aft. We carry a 10' Walter Bay with a 15HP Yamaha.
-Jon

Davit System

It's an electrically powered Sea Weed Tend'r Roller. I was unaware Monk built a 38 foot - just a 36 and 42. Where was it built? Taiwan or Nova Scotia?

It's an electrically powered Sea Weed Tend'r Roller. I was unaware Monk built a 38 foot - just a 36 and 42. Where was it built? Taiwan or Nova Scotia?
She was built in Taiwan by TaiChao in 1978. My avatar is the original Monk Model 2 drawing. She is the sedan model. Been in the family for 20 years. We just went through a full refit including new windows, glass decks and awlgrip along with many upgrades and refreshes. She is good to go for another 40 years.

Nice vessel. Before we bought Blue Sky I looked hard at a Monk 36 and found the saloon area a bit small. This looks to have addressed that. Timing is everything I guess.

A bit pricy

I hear you. However, my decision to price my boat as I did was based upon an appraisers opinion of value. And his opinion was based upon the craft's excellent condition, the relatively low engine hours, the fact that she's been a fresh-water boat all her life, and of course, supply and demand. I've found no other fresh-water Monk 42's for sale in Ontario or the eastern USA. Have you?

Let it be known to the naysayers that the first guy to come view my 1986 Monk 42, for which I was asking $180,000 Cdn, paid me $175,000. He saw the value and appreciated the top condition of my vessel. That's about $135,000 USD for my American friends. Anyway, she's sold. Fortunately, he's slipless for a couple of weeks. Thus I get to enjoy her for a bit longer. I also offered to captain her down the Trent-Severn Waterway with him to her new home in Mississauga. That'll be a bitter-sweet finale.

Last edited:
Congratulations to both buyer and seller fort meories made and memories to come. Monk is solid value.

Congrats, Ross. That didn't take too long at all. Seems like it was pretty fair deal all around.

Looking at boats, specifically on sites such as this, it would be time saving to see it has been sold before you start reviewing and find almost at the end of comments it is sold!!

Sold

Looking at boats, specifically on sites such as this, it would be time saving to see it has been sold before you start reviewing and find almost at the end of comments it is sold!!

Sorry, LorMur. If this were an marketing venue, I'd agree with your sentiment. But it's primarily a helpful forum of like-minded people. My former vessel was advertised for sale and sold on boatdealers.ca, which permits a sold report and removal from its site. Good luck with your search.

Hello Ross Wilson. The section i was perusing on the trawler forum was "Boats for Sale" listing as per the title, boats for sale. I would have to label this section as a marketing venue deeming it to provide on each listing whether the boat is for sale or is sold. This saves a lot of search time for folks looking to find and purchase a boat.

Did you happen to look at the date of the original post?

Seriously, it's not good form to come in here, open up a year-old thread, and beat up on the OP.

No. Assumed a listing would be updated. Found out this is not the case. No intent to "beat-up" anyone. Will not use Trawler Forum in our search as we have learned our lesson one cannot immediately become aware if the boat is for sale or sold by reading the listings on the TF "Boats for Sale" site.

As already implied ... is not a dedicated trading site nor eBay. Look at it like an old fashion street corner pole. It keeps advertising till the bill is visible/legible.

The boat is SOLD but one can still learn something from the discussion, including the fact that the boat was SOLD.

The benefit of this site is that all posters are more less vetted and the ads are not likely scams ... contrast this with Craigs List or Kijiji Classified.

Good luck to you finding your boat.

We have no problem with discussions as provided on TF.
There is a great offering of information and education from several of the sites including the boats for sale when one is searching for positive discussions etc. even if a boat is sold.......no criticism on this.

However, we still maintain it would be a positive inclusion to ensure when a listing is SOLD it is shown on the original listing to allow a searcher serious to purchase, is able to decide whether they would pursue looking at a SOLD listing to see if any valuable info. can be garnered from it, or continue on to active FOR SALE listings on types of boats they are considering using their time more efficiently specific to what their objective is.

It would not be difficult to have this required.
Please correct us if we are wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom