Old 11-02-2022, 02:59 PM   #1

City: Fort Lauderdale
44 swift trawler. Boom and mast

Hi I have a boom and mast in like new condition, all rigging included , removed to install a lower one to deal with low bridges in my area looking to sell , if you wanted too add one to boat or have a damage one this is great opportunity to own one for a deal , I’m told the unit sell for over $25,000 looking to get $15,000
Make offer located Fort Lauderdale
Attached Thumbnails
EFCD31B1-838F-410B-A24A-E07894BD2653.jpg   3E5D04A3-34EE-4E58-BFB2-C3E5ADFDB5C5.jpg   D3FE6116-61B8-4013-AAF0-3E10DAC2C460.jpg  
Old 11-02-2022, 07:17 PM   #2

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Cool

Why don't you just cut it down or install a easy to use hinge.

If you sell the boat in the future without the standard mast your will get banged on value.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
It's more complicated than just sawing yours in half and putting a hinge in it. I attempted to do just that and soon realized that the guide wires became a serious issue, immediately. Also unless you substantially shorten the whole affair you will find the top half way too heavy to put up and take down. The wires running to your mast light and radar dome will also be a source of trouble.

Your price seems crazy high but with all the rigging I'm sure it would be costly to replace.

pete
Old 11-03-2022, 04:26 AM   #4
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Pete, did you end up shortening your mast? I plan to shorten my mast a bit. I'd like to get just under 17', that'll allow me to travel the Champlain canal and most of the Erie canal without have to drop my mast.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I removed the original mast and guide wires. I made a new mast, about 15 feet long out of tapered pieces of basswood. It is hollow. I then poured fiberglass resin into the hollow mast, I recovered any resin that made it all the way through and repoured it until it was too stiff to pour.

My original mast was base mounted on the flybridge. I mounted the new one to the back of the cabin so I could secure it at the floor of the flybridge and again at the handrail. Then, just in case, I hinged it so it could fold down if I ever get into a 0 clearance situation.

I did not remount my radar. I was not happy with the unit, it was pretty old. I am still not certain I will ever buy radar for the boat. If I do, I think I will mount the dome on the forward wall of the flybridge.

That was about five years ago, I have never had to fold it down since.

pete

Tags
mast and boom, radar arch, trawler 30-40'