Old 09-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Fishers
Turn-key Trawler

Like many of you, I am making the transition from sailing to operating a trawler. I'm hoping someone will read this post and have something to offer me. I warn you ahead of time, I have champagne taste and a beer budget. Perhaps some of you know the feeling...

My wish list looks like this:

Twin cabins; one a double/queen; the other can be a V-berth; (need space for two couples plus young grandkids)
Twin heads w/ showers.
Power: Twin diesels preferred, with large fuel tanks.
Dinghy lift: Davits, Dinghy Lift, or boom crane. (Preferably with dinghy/OB)
No teak decks.
Generator
A/C adequate to cool entire boat while anchored
36’ to 50’, with a preference for 36’ to 44'
Windlass (electric)
Workable galley
Covered flybridge
Flexible regarding style: Sedan, sundeck, Europa, etc., so long as other needs are met.
No projects. I'm not willing to deal with rot or shoddy construction. I live in Indy and want to use boat starting in October.

I’m willing to move the boat from most anywhere with access to ICW, Mississippi, or Gulf. (I am a semi-retired delivery captain.) BTW, I would consider a boat currently located in Caribbean.

Budget: I can pay up to $40,000, cash, for the best boat offered. If you're not willing to sell for that amount, please don't reply. I'd love to have a bigger/better boat, but I'm not going to exceed my budget.

I prefer quality boats built in USA or Canada. I am more concerned about it being a seaworthy vessel and understand that she will likely have a few blemishes.

If you have a vessel that meets most of my criteria, or know someone who does, please private message me soon, including photos, specs, location and pricing. I will reply immediately.

THANK YOU!
Captain Larry
Old 09-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
tall order for $40k....
Old 09-08-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Steve, I agree. That's why I labeled it a "wish list" and not demands, and further, I said "if you have a vessel that meets most of my criteria..."

I don't expect to find the perfect vessel. Note that I didn't mention electronics, nor engine hours. There's a very good Bristol listed on the site which would have been perfect, except that it only has a single cabin, even though it is 40+ feet long. I was ready to go to Jacksonville today to buy it.

From a buyer's perspective, Seller's do themselves a disservice when they don't include photos, basic details, location and price in their posting. There's a reason why brokers do those things.

I'm eager to buy; hopefully someone who has a workable boat for me will decide to sell. In the meantime, I'll keep delivering boats and chartering in the BVI.

Have a great day!
Old 09-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
FF
Guru

To get a better boat at a low price , you have to accept what is not popular in your area.

Few places like wood ,and a wooden boat is its own hobby.

In the USA the best low cost bet would be a steel hull, the Dutch do fine work, and may be a better price than plastic.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Had to laugh when I read your message. I already own one woody (a 1956 Chris-Craft runabout.) That's all the wood I can handle!

I would consider a steel boat, or for that matter, an aluminum boat, although in this country fiberglass makes more sense, since you can get it repaired in just about any port.