Old 07-17-2022, 10:52 AM   #21

City: Marina del Rey
Thanks, but I don’t know what I need. It is a 7.5. I replaced the centrifugal switch, I checked the fiber pin behind it it’s all working I replaced the oil pressure safety switch I tested the two overheat switches, they’re good, and I still have the same problem. It starts but as soon as you release the starter it dies. I’m going to replace it and sell the old set for parts. Do you know anybody is interested in buying the Onan let me know.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #22

City: Colonial Beach, VA
Vessel Name: Tatoosh
Vessel Model: 1979 49ft Marine Trader RPH
Your solenoid is good? Can you hold the solenoid open and run it? That bypasses the safety switches, etc.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:59 PM   #23

Yes if I hold the solenoid open it runs. And it opens when you crank the starter. Somethings cutting off the electricity when you let go of the starter.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:48 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJohn View Post
Yes if I hold the solenoid open it runs. And it opens when you crank the starter. Somethings cutting off the electricity when you let go of the starter.
Exact same issues. For me it was the voltage regulator. I had replaced the alternator, which in turned fried the regulator. My alternator was also pumping 17.4v to the battery when it was running.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:17 PM   #25

Thanks for the tip. I will check it. I’d rather sell the unit running than not.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:07 PM   #26
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I will check it. I’d rather sell the unit running than not.
I gave mine away for free....
Old 07-17-2022, 11:29 PM   #27

Might do that too
Old 07-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #28
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
Quote:
Thanks, but I don’t know what I need. It is a 7.5. I replaced the centrifugal switch, I checked the fiber pin behind it it’s all working I replaced the oil pressure safety switch I tested the two overheat switches, they’re good, and I still have the same problem. It starts but as soon as you release the starter it dies. I’m going to replace it and sell the old set for parts. Do you know anybody is interested in buying the Onan let me know.
I might be interested. I'm still keeping an old Onan 7.5 MDJE thumping along. It would depend upon general condition. Iunderstand that something in the control system has failed. Before the control system failure was it running OK? Making voltage and RPM?

If you want to try one more thing before you throw in the towel I had a similar problem. It turned out to be the relay that controls all of those stop circuits.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Trawler Forum mobile app
Old 07-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #29

Yes it was running perfectly, and generating electricity perfectly before this happened on Fourth of July weekend. I .actually have a spare relay, but I got so disgusted with the whole thing I decided not to dive in and pull it out. If you’re interested, I would be happy to entertain an offer. I also have a sound shield it’s old but it still works, and that would be included along with a few spare parts. Where are you located?
Old 07-18-2022, 11:29 AM   #30

PS I can be reached at 310-367-5890 if you wanna talk about it. The units in pretty good shape, no oil or fuel leaks, raw water pump has a new impeller in it with about 20 hours on it, I change the heat exchanger not long ago, and as I said in my first post it was running perfectly until Fourth of July weekend.