Unknown Motorsailor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your 17 day Hawaii trip sounds like quite the adventure! I sometimes dream of long voyages like that, but then I snap out of it and realize I don’t really want to do that.

LOL!

I can relate! The only real sailing dream/goal I had (when younger) was to singlehand to Hawaii. But then, like you said, I don't really have that desire anymore...

Your 17 day Hawaii trip sounds like quite the adventure! I sometimes dream of long voyages like that, but then I snap out of it and realize I don’t really want to do that. I’ve motorsailed to the Bahamas a few times, and that’s enough for me currently.
When I pick the next boat, ocean crossing range is high on my list of requirements.
Which part of the world I find 'the one' in will determine the itinerary from there.

Many writers have described what it's like crossing an ocean better than I ever could.
That feeling of being utterly self-reliant 1000 miles from land is a drug like no other.
40 years later I'm ready for another fix! Next time with a few more luxuries, though. ;)

When I pick the next boat, ocean crossing range is high on my list of requirements.

Which part of the world I find 'the one' in will determine the itinerary from there.

Many writers have described what it's like crossing an ocean better than I ever could.

That feeling of being utterly self-reliant 1000 miles from land is a drug like no other.

40 years later I'm ready for another fix! Next time with a few more luxuries, though. ;)

Yeah, it always sounds so romantic and interesting when I read about long voyages. However, my wife is def not interested in anything like that and doesn’t like traveling at night. She was freaked out about her first Bahamas crossing when we left Lake Worth around 3am, even though she slept through most of it. Lol.

Also, I’ve realized I’m just not as meticulous as I would need to be to make a long ocean voyage. I’ve got a little too much “oh screw it, let’s just go”, I can fix it if it breaks mentality. I can get away with this coastal cruising and in the Bahamas somewhat, but it would bite me on an ocean crossing I think.

Virginia Reel - 65'

It looks very similar to a Philip Rhodes Motorsailer.

pea-jpeg.107741

65-virginiareel-profile-jpg.17616

The drawing you're showing is of our boat, Virginia Reel, the 65ft version (not the 44). She's a fantastic boat and we've loved her for 20 years but it's time to turn to the next chapter and she's for sale now. Happy to answer any questions! 129k which reflects that she needs some money put into her to cruise. She's currently in La Paz Mexico and at the best marina! With just a little love and influx of energy she'll take the new owners ANYWHERE they want to go!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1960/de-vries-lentsch-motorsailer-3814713/

Back
Top Bottom