Old 03-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I've Kinda Figured Out What I Want! So What Now?

I'm really leaning towards a Motorsailer Not a 90/90 sailboat either, I mean someone stuck a mast and sails on a trawler and called it good.

Kind of running into several issues though. . .
1) There doesn't seem to be many floating around (pun intended). The style boat I really like seems to be mostly in the Pacific NW, Canada, and Europe. Not much to pick from anyways (as compared to say, a Catalina 36 or a Mainship), even less so on the East Coast.

2) They are definitely over the budget I set. $50k is what I was hoping to stay under. Cash for a boat up to a point, then down payment and small loan I could pay down in 3-5 years. Currently debt free and it feels good

On the other hand, you get what you pay for and any of these boats seem to be well taken care of and loved.

I also have another more specific boat that, while not my first choice, seems to offer a more affordable package of compromises: A Bayliner 38XX. . .which is kind of odd considering my #1 choice

I really like the aft cockpit, which is hard to find in a smaller, affordable diesel boat (also like the Shuckers and Lancers for the aft cockpit). Salon seating is kind of meh, but does remind me of home. . .except being able to occasionally sail, it does check off most of the items I'm looking for. And while it does look good, definitely missing "that look".

SO here is where I'm at. . .I could probably put my nose to the grind stone and find a nice under budget Bayliner in the next month. Or I could narrow down the MS field and hope something comes along while I save cash in the next year or two (or 3)? Or possible get a real ships mortgage and just go for it as soon as something nice pops up?

Is maybe now a good time to get a Broker to start looking for me?

Yeah, I know only I can really answer these questions. . .but bouncing these off experienced folks does help (better than the circle of reasoning going on in my head).

Thanks!
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Most of the sailing blogs I read have the boats under power most of the time, my advise forget about sails and mast (bridge clearance) and go straight power. One less thing to replace a couple years down the road. You have 50K? Get to 80K and buy a 50K boat then you have 30K to spend getting it right. Good luck, this is the exciting part. Then the cash eating monster lands in your yard and you're a boat owner.
Mike
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
A Motorsailor is great in many ways. You get the ability to sail and yet you still get a Pilothouse. OTOH, there are problems. Most motorsailers don't sail all that well, and at least around here, they still spend almost all their time motoring, and rarely if ever sailing.

I have never boated on the East Coast, but I have lots of family that have sailed on the lakes in NY and in the Chesapeake Bay area. There is some great cruising to be had, but much of it is shallow and many of the waterways have annoying bridges. With a motorsailor, you will always be waiting for the bridge to open.

I think it is too soon to get a broker looking for you. You can do most of the looking yourself until you decide which direction you want to go. Then you can think about a broker.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
To me, a motorsailor is just seriously complicating matters without much gain. You have all the trawler issues but now have to deal with a mast and sails and bridge clearance and other things you wouldn't on a Trawler. That you be great if your intent was to sail 50% of the time or more. However, if not, it's a lot of pain for little gain.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool beans View Post
I really like the aft cockpit, which is hard to find in a smaller, affordable diesel boat (also like the Shuckers and Lancers for the aft cockpit).
This Schucker showed up on YW yesterday for $45K:

1976 Schucker 40' shallow draft trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
Guru

City: South Florida
If you want a motor sailor because you feel you will need a sailing fix every once in a while, you are going to be disappointed. If you want it because you plan long range cruising, don't.

Weigh very small amount of time you're going to roll out some sails against maintenance and dodging standing rigging and bridges and ......

Many of us are former / current Sailors, I've never looked back and enjoy going to weather in a straight line. When I need to sail, I get on a real sailboat.

Get a Trawler that meets your needs and budget and charter or rent a real sailboat when you need the fix.

$0.02

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:02 AM   #7
Guru

The bayliner 38 series is a popular boat. More info on the bayliner forum.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:03 AM   #8
FF
Guru

A Motor sailor is a great way to have a Blue Water cruiser.

The scantlings are ocean grade and the sails allow almost unlimited range.

A Bayliner is in no way an offshore vessel.

Decide just what you want to do, Ocean Voyaging or inshore lakes , bays and rivers.

The ocean voyager will set you back about 300% more for the boat , power or sail.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
The shucker that donsan posted looks clean with low hours. Looks like a sailboat hull with no mast. I didn't like how the rudder restricts pulling the shaft without dropping the rudder, but with a protected prop and skeg, you shouldn't have to do that often, and if you do, it will likely be on the hard.

Of course, the broker needs to learn that commas follow the word, not the beginning of the next word...
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
That's definitely worth a look...Only 4 hours or so away from you too..
Old 04-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
There are a few Fishers for sale on the East coast. Check out the Fisher Owner's Group.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
That Schucker is an interesting boat for sure but It's gonna be very rolly I bet. Hang on!
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: gulf coast
If those pix really represent the current condition of the Shucker what are you wasting time here for. Go for it.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Here you go...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bod/5496981871.html

Or maybe...

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/bod/5472948849.html
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #15
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
You have probably seen this listing but I boarded this boat in Port Townsend for a preview. Really liked it but got distracted for another in the mean time. I think it could be hauled cross country with that beam and the price is sort of in your range. Good solid builder in my view.

Not much of a sailing rig I expect but a little downhill assist and roll abatement anyway.

1984 Comfort Motorsailer 38 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 04-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Motorsailers should do well do well on a reach.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Our marina neighbor next door is a Bayliner 3888. Very nice boat, lots of great things about it, but that really high ladder to the flybridge would be a deal killer for us. We're still physically capable of climbing ladders all day, it's just darn inconvenient. Try getting a dinner and drinks tray to the bridge. Or guests and relatives who aren't spry.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #18
Master and Commander

Ladders, tiny steps, and seven-vertical feet of stairs (with head-bumping clearance) are just three reasons I don't miss a flybridge. The list of negatives is longer. Nevertheless, the vast majority of our boats have flybridges which means one has limited choice. Fortunately, most motorsailers don't have a flybridge.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: New Haven
Vessel Name: Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
Whenever someone mentions motorsailer I tend to think of the Nauticat 33 Pilothouse Ketch. I really love the look. They are made in Finland.

The story of the yard

The 33's are usually listed below 80G.

Used 1986 Nauticat 33, Deale, Md - 21403 - BoatTrader.com

Used 1985 Nauticat 33, San Diego, Ca - 92106 - BoatTrader.com

Used 1986 Nauticat 33, Ft Myers, Fl - 33931 - BoatTrader.com
Tamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #20
Master and Commander

Fishers are handsome motorsailers, but not inexpensive.