Convert trawler to motorsailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Don't kick me off the forum! I'm not a real sailor!

Way to go Bill. Be safe!

IMG_0490.jpg

My eldest son approves of the mast. [emoji23]

Well done, Cardude!

Nice to have another steadysailer on here.

Test sail today. 4.5 knots SOG in about 10 knots of wind on a broad reach with no engine. That was better than I expected actually.

She performs very well. I'd need the current to be helping to get that speed with 10 knots of wind.

I might have had some current going with me. Had the rigger showing me all the ropes underway and I was pretty distracted.

Looks good cardude . Now you can hang some shade . You're gonna have some fun with this new rig. She looks easy to sail. Built in get home package.

Looks good cardude . Now you can hang some shade . You're gonna have some fun with this new rig. She looks easy to sail. Built in get home package.

I bought some of that mesh shade material with some grommets sewn in. Definitely need to make some shade out there.

The rig seems fairly easy, I just need some practice so I can identify all the lines quicker.

Heading to Lake Worth today then West End tomorrow or Wednesday.

Waiting on a diver to clean the bottom. I didn't think of having that done but should have-- the boat has been sitting for a couple of months and it has barnacles on the bottom I realized after I cleaned out the AC sea strainer, which also was filled with barnacles. They must really like the water on the St Lucie river. I've never had barnacles on the inside of the strainer.

Last edited:
Hillbilly shade canopy.

IMG_0499.jpgIMG_0501.jpg

Still at the dock unfortunately. Stupid autopilot problems. I might be hand steering to the Bahamas. I guess I shouldn't worry and just go.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sailboats are designed to sail heeled, esp on the wind,motor cruisers are designed to operate sitting evenly. I`m interested how the boat copes with the heeling affect while under sail? Any issues?

We are anchored at Lake Worth waiting to cross to West End early tomorrow AM. Went down the ICW from Stuart.

Got waked by multiple big sport fish boats on the ICW. The addition of the rig has really dampened the roll from wakes. Before the roll was very violent and snappy. Now it's gentle. So that's a nice plus.

I'm not really sure why the roll subsided so much. Seems like the extra weight above would have made it worse not better, but I'm not complaining!

"I'm not really sure why the roll subsided so much. Seems like the extra weight above would have made it worse not better, but I'm not complaining!"

The weight up high slows down the roll.

Fishing schooners on the Banks would hoist an anchor part way up the mast for a smoother ride in a blow..

"I'm not really sure why the roll subsided so much. Seems like the extra weight above would have made it worse not better, but I'm not complaining!"

The weight up high slows down the roll.

Fishing schooners on the Banks would hoist an anchor part way up the mast for a smoother ride in a blow..

Yup. And sailboats without their masts can have a nasty snap. Lots of cases where dismasted boats have been abandoned because the motion without the mast was too violent.

Here is a "before video" of the roll.
https://youtu.be/i0W8voGm9yQ

A video from the Abacos yesterday with the sails up. Not rough so not much roll stabilizing needed that day, but when it is rough the sails make a world of difference.
https://youtu.be/qx-nLrxBX9g

Plus it's kind of fun to sit at the stern and piddle with the sails. Don't laugh at my makeshift rail seat cushion.
IMG_0523.jpg

I think you will find that even without much wind, if you trim the main correctly the apparent wind from moving through the water will be enough to stabilize you a lot.

I love your project.

I think you will find that even without much wind, if you trim the main correctly the apparent wind from moving through the water will be enough to stabilize you a lot.

I love your project.

I need some sailing lessons. Seriously. I don't know how to trim the sails at all.

I need some sailing lessons. Seriously. I don't know how to trim the sails at all.

The basics are easy. Put the sail up. Let out the sheet until the forward end of the sail just begins to luff, and then bring in the sheet just enough so it quits. Anything beyond that are fine points.

Cardude, I've been a long time trawler owner and just today made an offer to purchase a 2007 SP here in the PNW. Do you still own the Island Packet and did you convert the PY to sail? Have you gone offshore and if so, how does she perform? I'm anxious to incorporate a little downwind sailing into our long trips up the inside passage and SE Alaska.

Cardude, I've been a long time trawler owner and just today made an offer to purchase a 2007 SP here in the PNW. Do you still own the Island Packet and did you convert the PY to sail? Have you gone offshore and if so, how does she perform? I'm anxious to incorporate a little downwind sailing into our long trips up the inside passage and SE Alaska.

Yes still own mine. It’s a converted PY with a shorter 40’ mast and about 1/2 the sail area. We have been to the Bahamas a few times. It does well, but with the smaller sail plan mine is only Motorsailer only.

You will love the SP! Can stay nice and cozy in the pilothouse while you sail along.

This is mine:
IMG_7850.JPG

Wm Crealock did it in '74. Fales Navigator 32 was laid up in a stretched out Willard 30 mold. Crealock made enough changes to the hull that he and Fales decided they owed Willard no royalties on them. They disagreed until they all died!

I own one and love her!

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom