Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Nocanvas's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 116
Winterizing tips Helmsman

Winterizing tips for the Helmsman 38 & 43. I just got to thinking that a new thread would be interesting to hear others chime in on their clever ideas.

I have a larger dehumidifier that drains into the shower drain to help with moisture and Im interested in hearing what other tips you might have.

What material are you using to close the engine room vents if at all.

Figure the coldest I might see is 5F below with wind factor for a week.
__________________
Advertisement

Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: FL
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 123
We have slightly different and open vents into ER on our tug, but yes especially if you're going to be on the hard, most will cover engine room vents to keep that cold air from flowing through. in the past we used an excellent product called Con-Tact clear covering, I think its advertised as a shelf liner. It is typically available from many stores; Target, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc. you just cut to size and easily adhere to outside of vents, then at end of season it easily peels off and did not leave residue in our experience.
Click image for larger version

Name:	contact.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	94106


Also if you're going to use the pink antifreeze (Propylene glycol), you can pay anywhere up to $6/gal but we found it the cheapest at Wal-mart i think around $2 or $3/gal.
__________________

sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Nocanvas's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 116
Because these boats didnt come with a valve at the water line to shut off and bleed for the rear deck shower Im looking at getting down in there to install one, something to blow out the water to the rear shower and still use the rest of the water system
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocanvas View Post
Winterizing tips for the Helmsman 38 & 43. I just got to thinking that a new thread would be interesting to hear others chime in on their clever ideas.



I have a larger dehumidifier that drains into the shower drain to help with moisture and Im interested in hearing what other tips you might have.



What material are you using to close the engine room vents if at all.



Figure the coldest I might see is 5F below with wind factor for a week.

Is the boat going to be in the water or on the hard? IE are you going to be using the boat during the winter or not?

Random thoughts...

- Consider placing the dehumidifier on the galley counter and having it drain into a galley sink. That keeps your shower sump pump from cycling all winter long.

- Oil pan heater on the engine will keep the ER warm. I have 250W oil pan heater on mine. It keeps the engine warm which then also keeps the ER from cooling down as much. If I closed the vents, it would make an even bigger difference.

-I like the low wattage round fans. They provide a tiny bit of heat and keep the air moving. I consider it an adjunct to the dehumidifier. https://newcontent.westmarine.com/co...ll/7867518.jpg

- I really like the idea above of that self-stick plastic film to block the ER vents.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,390
Really depends on where you are.
I winterize in diwntown Vancouver, BC, so it usually doesn't get cold for very long, if at all. It does rain all winter.
I leave both the charger, Xantrex MS 2000, and the water heater, Torrid 17gal on in the ER. That keeps everything well above freezing in the coldest of the winter. If I was in Toronto, NE US or Maritimes, that would be insufficient by a wide margin, but in my shelter is all I need.
I also put a space heater in the bow cabin and in the aft cabin. Both are set on the lowest setting that doesn't turn them off. That keeps the mold away. I have tried Dave's low wattage round fan in the fwd cabin, but the mold won.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Nocanvas's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Is the boat going to be in the water or on the hard? IE are you going to be using the boat during the winter or not?

Random thoughts...

- Consider placing the dehumidifier on the galley counter and having it drain into a galley sink. That keeps your shower sump pump from cycling all winter long.

- Oil pan heater on the engine will keep the ER warm. I have 250W oil pan heater on mine. It keeps the engine warm which then also keeps the ER from cooling down as much. If I closed the vents, it would make an even bigger difference.

-I like the low wattage round fans. They provide a tiny bit of heat and keep the air moving. I consider it an adjunct to the dehumidifier. https://newcontent.westmarine.com/co...ll/7867518.jpg

- I really like the idea above of that self-stick plastic film to block the ER vents.
We will be in the water all winter and likely will get it out once and a while. The short days although make it tough for a working guy.

I like the idea moving the dehumidifier to the galley sink to keep the sump from cycling.

That oil pan heater sounds good also. Thanks for the ideas.
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Nocanvas's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Really depends on where you are.
I winterize in diwntown Vancouver, BC, so it usually doesn't get cold for very long, if at all. It does rain all winter.
I leave both the charger, Xantrex MS 2000, and the water heater, Torrid 17gal on in the ER. That keeps everything well above freezing in the coldest of the winter. If I was in Toronto, NE US or Maritimes, that would be insufficient by a wide margin, but in my shelter is all I need.
I also put a space heater in the bow cabin and in the aft cabin. Both are set on the lowest setting that doesn't turn them off. That keeps the mold away. I have tried Dave's low wattage round fan in the fwd cabin, but the mold won.
Space heaters are a must I'm expecting the power bill this winter, lol thats one service yuz got to have.
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
Guru
 
bshillam's Avatar
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 721
Lots of fires in boats are caused by heaters. Make sure your not pulling to much draw. My preference is for oil heaters, no moving parts. I typically like the heaters where I can select the watts being used. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...a-807342935897
Another thing I'll do is run some smaller fans through the boat to help distribute the heat and keep the boat from getting musty. In addition to the dehumidifier of course. This keeps mold at bay and the boat from freezing!
__________________
ďTry something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and thatís whatís driving me on here.Ē Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 Ė 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:06 PM   #9
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocanvas View Post
Space heaters are a must I'm expecting the power bill this winter, lol thats one service yuz got to have.

FWIW, my marina prohibits any of the space heaters being used unattended due to risk of fire. So while I have a couple of this type of heater, I donít use them unattended. Part of the issue is that they are dependent on the fan keeping the heating elements from burning out. If the fan fails, there is a risk of fire.
https://www.defender.com/images/900024.jpg

I know Keith didnít have much success with the other type, but I use it in conjunction with the dehumidfier which makes a huge difference.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member
 
Sharpseadog's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham Wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tinka
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocanvas View Post
Winterizing tips for the Helmsman 38 & 43. I just got to thinking that a new thread would be interesting to hear others chime in on their clever ideas.

I have a larger dehumidifier that drains into the shower drain to help with moisture and Im interested in hearing what other tips you might have.

What material are you using to close the engine room vents if at all.

Figure the coldest I might see is 5F below with wind factor for a week.
Hi Navigator! We both live in NW WA and my 38 stays in the water year around. I have 4 ceramic space heaters. I control with an external thermostat (2 heaters per) set to turn on at 40 degrees (more reliable than the built in thermostats). 2 heaters in ER, 1 in forward cabin and 1 in salon. I use 1" polyurethane "backer rod" stuffed into ER vent grills. Last winter I didn't install on port side because I tie to stbd and couldn't access w/o moving boat or launching dinghy. At least that kept wind from blowing heat out. No problems, other than a hefty electric bill. I also have 2 small self contained dehumidifiers one in fwd cabin and one in salon. These need to be emptied at least once per week. I don't trust those so called units that don't collect the water (where does it go? Back into the air!) Aft cockpit shower hose is vulnerable. Turn off pressure, open shower head valve and hot and cold water valves, then hold shower head high. Water will drain out, back to tanks. Then close hot and cold water valves but leave shower head valve open. If you leave water in hose between shower head and supply valves, it will freeze and break shower head. If it gets really cold, I leave hot water tank on so it won't freeze. I have also used "Damp Rid" (The hanging bag type). Works very well in hanging closets to keep things fresh. Most of the plumbing is in bilges and kept above freezing by sea water that doesn't get below freezing. None of this would be very effective if boat was out of the water. A larger dehumidifier draining into sink would be nice, but they are more expensive than my mini's. TINKA
Sharpseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpseadog View Post
A larger dehumidifier draining into sink would be nice, but they are more expensive than my mini's. TINKA

Depending on the mini dehumidifier that you have, it is pretty easy to create a drain with a drill and 1/4" tubing. That is what I did for one and it sits on the galley counter draining in to the sink.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: Everett
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Egg Harbor 33í
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 234
Thank you for all of the tips, this will be my first time with a boat in the water over the winter!
RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Nocanvas's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
FWIW, my marina prohibits any of the space heaters being used unattended due to risk of fire. So while I have a couple of this type of heater, I donít use them unattended. Part of the issue is that they are dependent on the fan keeping the heating elements from burning out. If the fan fails, there is a risk of fire.
https://www.defender.com/images/900024.jpg

I know Keith didnít have much success with the other type, but I use it in conjunction with the dehumidfier which makes a huge difference.
Did Kieth use the oil heater without fan ?
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:48 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Nocanvas's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Depending on the mini dehumidifier that you have, it is pretty easy to create a drain with a drill and 1/4" tubing. That is what I did for one and it sits on the galley counter draining in to the sink.
Thatís a great idea !

I use a RinKmo Model PD100A dehumidifier and I love it. Have it now drained into the sink
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Nocanvas's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonR View Post
Thank you for all of the tips, this will be my first time with a boat in the water over the winter!
These old barnacles here will steer you right
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
Guru
 
bshillam's Avatar
 
City: Portland, OR
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 721
Oil Heaters

Good idea if you put one of the oil heaters over a surface that will be ruined by the oil is to place a pan under it. I have had one lose all it's oil and created a mess.

Pan, oil heater, and small fan to circulate the air. I typically run smaller fans throughout the entire boat to help. A few oil heaters, small fans and dehumidifier will take care of it!
__________________
ďTry something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and thatís whatís driving me on here.Ē Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 Ė 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:49 PM   #17
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,429
Winterizing tips Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocanvas View Post
Did Kieth use the oil heater without fan ?

We were talking about these. They have a slow speed fan and low heat. They move the air around raising the temperature of that air a degree or two. The warmer air absorbs more water keeping it suspended. In conjunction with a dehumidifier that is actually removing water from the air, I find it is pretty effective.

It only draws 75W. If the fan stops turning there isnít enough heat to create a fire risk. Cafromo makes them, I think Davis may make them as well, and West Marine has them private labeled as well.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/stor...gaAkPjEALw_wcB
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #18
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,488
Our boat had diesel heat, as do many PNW boats. I left it on all the time as reduced temperature. Yes, it cost diesel, but the boat was always dry, and in short order could be brought up to human temperature. It was well worth while for me.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:32 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
jhance's Avatar
 
City: Eastsound
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 179
I couldn't imagine leaving a diesel heater on while unattended. Probably overall fairly safe, but for me I wouldn't take that risk. I use a small fan and a west marine low-watt heater/fan (caframo round metal style) unit in the engine room and galley on our Camano. Air comes in via small crack in a forward portlight, is heated up slightly via the heater/fan, and exhausted out the back window via the fan. I also use the Damprid hanging bags in the v-berth, galley, head, and hanging locker, along with Damprid bags in the storage compartments. Haven't had any mold or mildew issues while connected to power, but I did get very minimal mold/mildew in my engine room over the summer when on buoy and no fan to circulate the air.
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:46 AM   #20
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
I couldn't imagine leaving a diesel heater on while unattended.

I think a lot of people feel that way. But I see it as no different from leaving the heat on in your house when you are away. I'm much more comfortable leaving the diesel heat on than I would be running one or more electric space heaters. And when you think about it, how many boats have you heard about getting destroyed as a consequence of electric space heaters? Lots and lots, right? And how many because the diesel heat burned up the boat? I can't think of any. Same with houses. How many houses burn up because the oil burner went bonkers?
__________________

__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dehumidifier, heater, helmsman 38, winter boating, winterize

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×