Old 03-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #1

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Rocna 10 or 15?

Anyone using a Rocna anchor? Looking at the 10kg or 15kg. Sizing chart puts me right on the line for the 10kg but not super excited about the extra weight of the 15kg on the bow.

Jamey
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I'd go with the larger anchor and not worry about the additional 5 kg. I'd sleep better at night. .
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #3

I would agree, but 11 extra pounds on the very end of the bow on an already lightweight boat... may be enough to sink the bow a little and even throw off the bottom paint waterline? I have come across a few Camanos where the bow is noticeably lower, but not sure if that's due to the larger anchor and/or more chain on the rode. I would have 50' chain and the rest 3-strand. Plus not sure of the pulpit is rated for 15kg (33 pounds).
Old 03-29-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
My boat is a bit shorter than yours and I faced the same choice. The wind in the Pacific Northwest/BC can easily blow 50 knots. Now if you were anchored in that wind, do you think you'd say to yourself, "I should have got the 10 instead!"

Do you have all chain or chain/line? I don't know your average anchoring depths and average bottoms so I don't want to comment. I use to be of the all chain school of thought but the most recent anchor/rode studies show that scope is more important than all chain. It's possible you could shorten up your chain and add to your line to reduce bow weight.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

50' chain and the rest 3-strand. I'm not out boating in 50 knot winds if can be avoided. Anchoring only occasionally and in the calmest possible weather at non-extreme depths. Bigger is better, I agree, but if that means I have a gigantic heavy anchor hanging out there in space with the weight issues (IF they are issues - I'm not sure), then that might change my decision.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
I'd suggest the 15.

11 more lb should be a minor issue. You could test easily by putting 11 lb or so of something on the bow and see how much difference it appears to make.

I replaced a Bruce 7.5 with a Rocna 10 on my 11,000 lb (loaded) 26-footer. In hundreds of overnights all over the Inside Passage, the Bruce worked well most of the time, but the Rocna 10 seemed to be perfect.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I was going to say, no one intentionally goes out into 50 knot winds, but then I remembered a sailing course I took through the old Jib set (new one now) in Vancouver. It was a "heavy weather" sailing course. You took your sailing gear to work in a bag left in your car trunk. When the phone call came, you were expected to leave work and go to the boat. The call only came when the conditions were nasty.

I am assuming you are planning trips in and about PWN/BC and that you are going to be doing this for days or weeks at a time. You don't think you could be in an anchorage when something brews up that was not "scheduled" so to speak.

So I googled your boat and came up with the link below, same year as yours and I looked at the anchor, second picture in, it looks like a 15 Bruce (or knock off).

https://calibreyachts.com/brokered-b...-camano-troll/
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
You've got a boat that weighs 10,000 lb and your worried about carrying 10lb extra anchor on the bow?

Don't let anyone walk up front, you make it sound like she'll roll right over.

Go the bigger one, no one ever complains about to much anchor when its blowing its ring out at 2am.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Maybe shorten the chain to 30’ from 50’. The weight forward should be just about the same.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #10

That looks like the same anchor I have now, a Bruce 10kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I was going to say, no one intentionally goes out into 50 knot winds, but then I remembered a sailing course I took through the old Jib set (new one now) in Vancouver. It was a "heavy weather" sailing course. You took your sailing gear to work in a bag left in your car trunk. When the phone call came, you were expected to leave work and go to the boat. The call only came when the conditions were nasty.

I am assuming you are planning trips in and about PWN/BC and that you are going to be doing this for days or weeks at a time. You don't think you could be in an anchorage when something brews up that was not "scheduled" so to speak.

So I googled your boat and came up with the link below, same year as yours and I looked at the anchor, second picture in, it looks like a 15 Bruce (or knock off).

https://calibreyachts.com/brokered-b...-camano-troll/
Old 03-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #11

I'll have to put 11 pounds out there and see what happens or 11 pounds worth of pulling down. Maybe nothing. I just keep picturing another Camano with a "overly large" anchor and looking at a picture of them plowing nose-down while underway. Maybe they had all chain rode in addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You've got a boat that weighs 10,000 lb and your worried about carrying 10lb extra anchor on the bow?

Don't let anyone walk up front, you make it sound like she'll roll right over.

Go the bigger one, no one ever complains about to much anchor when its blowing its ring out at 2am.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Rocna sizes their anchors based on a wind speed of 50knots.

You can accidentally stumble into 50knot winds in the PNW. I did once crossing Queen Charolette Strait. The forecast was for “high winds” not specified numerically at least. It was some time ago (07 or so). I knew we had time to get to Alison Harbour, an excellent harbour. So we went across.
I had my 13lb Danforth and a new experimental anchor also 13lbs. I had just bought the experimental 13lb anchor after seeing it win a serious anchor test. Beat all other anchors. Turned out to be my mistake. But that XYZ anchor held for a day and a half of 50 knot wind. I eventually threw it away as it had serious setting problems. That experience is probably the biggest reason to this day I tend to think setting performance is as important as holding power.

But weather reporting and predictions is way ahead of what it was in 07. So being able to reach a safe harbour is far more assured than it was.

I see 15kg is about 32lbs. I went fourth w a light anchor and survived. My Willard is only 30’ but considerably heavier that yours. And you have a lot more windage.
Bottom line is I’d get the 15kg anchor. Not my favorite anchor but given enough scope it will hold your boat. Nix on anything smaller.

Good on you for giving serious thought to how much weight you pile on your boat. Two thumbs up.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Maybe shorten the chain to 30’ from 50’. The weight forward should be just about the same.
Excellent idea. And easy to do.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
I'll have to put 11 pounds out there and see what happens or 11 pounds worth of pulling down. Maybe nothing. I just keep picturing another Camano with a "overly large" anchor and looking at a picture of them plowing nose-down while underway. Maybe they had all chain rode in addition.

Maybe they had empty tanks down aft (if that's where tankage is)
There can be many reasons why its bow down, don't sacrifice anchor gear because of it.

If 10lb has that much of an effect on a 10,000 lb boat put an extra carton of beer down aft, or get another boat because if 10lb makes that sort of difference it sounds inherently unstable to me.

What happens when you, weighing a lot more than 10lb walks to the side or up the front?
Does she roll over?

I used to make adjustments for an extra 10lb on a 32 ft boat we had, but that was on a 2500lb lightweight sailing catamaran.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #15
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I am packing a 15K on the bow, have a spare 10K on board as a backup. I am in the same size boat as you are, and I would go with a 15K if I were you. I pulled it by hand for a couple of years, once the windlass went on I went from 15' of 5/16" chain to 50'.

The 10K has never been wet. If I lost the 15K, I would go up one size in replacing it. JMO

PS... throw some weight in the stern if you are worried about being bow low. That's what I did, but then again I am full displacement.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:59 PM   #16

11 pounds of weight on the absolute very end of the bow of the boat is a lot different than 11 pounds on the deck of the bow. Again, probably not a concern, but there is lever action when you put ANY extra weight that far forward. I have learned that Camanos are subject to wind and weight distribution. They ride differently with different weight distribution. Plus I notice the Rocnas will stick out farther than my bruce, the weight is now that much farther forward. Next time I'm at the boat I'll put 11 pounds of pressure on the pulpit and see if there is any effect. I'm guessing minimal, but good to test prior. What a mistake it would be if my bottom paint line is below the waterline after putting on my nice "large" new anchor, any extra extra chain, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Maybe they had empty tanks down aft (if that's where tankage is)
There can be many reasons why its bow down, don't sacrifice anchor gear because of it.

If 10lb has that much of an effect on a 10,000 lb boat put an extra carton of beer down aft, or get another boat because if 10lb makes that sort of difference it sounds inherently unstable to me.

What happens when you, weighing a lot more than 10lb walks to the side or up the front?
Does she roll over?

I used to make adjustments for an extra 10lb on a 32 ft boat we had, but that was on a 2500lb lightweight sailing catamaran.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:06 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
. What a mistake it would be if my bottom paint line is below the waterline after putting on my nice "large" new anchor, any extra extra chain, etc.
So raise your line a few inches, its not hard.

I'd be more thinking what a mistake it would be if you actually saw some weather with an undersized anchor in play.
Who cares about the waterline as you're washing up on the rocks or bouncing off of other boats.

And really, 10lb extra putting your line under?
What's the immersion rate on that hull? Probably takes a ton or more to push it down an inch.
Surely your antifouling lines are up a few inches already right?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #18

Can anyone comment as to the extra 11 pounds of weight as it relates to the windlass' ability to operate it? Worried about the extra straight due to additional weight. Not seeing any reference in the manual. Maxwell Freedom 800.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #19
Guru

jhance,
Do you happen to have a picture of your boat from the side underway under normal conditions? Lets have a look.

Talk to other owners of boats the same and see if the Camano 31 runs bow down as a freshly delivered boat. Probably not but that’s easy even for a builder to do. The bow of most boats won’t support nearly as much weight as the stern. So most builders do’nt put nearly as much stuff up there. But owners later can put lots of heavy stuff like batteries and various tanks.
Find a post by Durant. He has the same boat. Hail him on private mail (PM).
One thing is for sure I know it’s worse to be bow down .. especially in following seas. So your concern about being bow heavy is justified.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #20
Guru

Maximum pull 800lb

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14...page=34#manual