Old 01-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Where to mount my Magma Catalina grill

A Magma Catalina came with our Mariner 37/Helmsman 38. The grill has Magma fold out legs and the PO simply set it on a folding wood table in the cockpit. I'm sure that has benefits, but it is not for me. The grill sits too low and takes up too much valuable cockpit room.

Our Mariner 37 cockpit has no rod holders nor hand rails on the transom or gunwales. The transom door is to starboard. Our dinghy hangs on davits offset to port, but it limits access to the swim platform unless launched. That means slip access is required over both port and starboard cockpit gunwales.

The process of elimination means the grill needs to mount on the transom offset to port. I don't recall ever climbing over the transom at that point.

Magma makes a mount called their Dual Locking Flush Deck Socket Mount that keeps the grill solidly in place, but removable when needed. Am I seeing all this right? Where do you Mariner 37/Helmsman 38 owners mount your grill?

https://magmaproducts.com/product/t10-526
Attached Thumbnails
Magma Deck Socket Mount.jpg  
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I have a Magna with fold out legs. For now i prefer to use it that way since every meal is not from the BBQ. I have moved it around looking for preferred location.
The rail is used often. What I do not prefer is to see a BBQ on the rail day after day as many boats have it. For now it gets stowed away until needed.
Post a picture when you find a spot.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
I have a different boat and a different grill, but I mounted my Weber by securing the legs with U-bolts to a sturdy fish cutting board.

The fish cutting board was, in turn, bolted to a Magma grill double horizontal mount:

https://www.amazon.com/Magma-Product...ews/B0018Y8DOW

And, of course, the rail mount was secured by its own lever-handled clamps to a rail, the rail at the aft of the flybridge, in particular.

If your Magma grill accepts the horizontal mount directly, you can skip 2 steps.

It looks like it'd never weather a storm or rough weather, but in 2 years I only took it down for one named storm and Hurricane Eta. It totally stays put. The cloth grill cover has blown off once or twice, though.

Just an idea that may or may not apply.

See attached photos.
Attached Thumbnails
20210116_132942.jpg   20210116_132948.jpg  
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #4
Guru

I know what you mean about keeping the grill out of sight and traffic when not in use. I also know that for me, that means I won't do nearly as much grilling as I would if it is there ready to go.

This is my Mariner 37. I see the Flush Deck Socket Mounts going on the gunwale about where the port davit mounts to the transom. Convenient, but not in the way of traffic. When not grilling season (if there is such a thing), the Catalina can be removed and stored in the lazarette.

In time, I plan to replace those aging St. Croix davits with a custom set that puts the dinghy up level with the flybridge/cockpit roof. That will improve swim platform access and still keep the dinghy out of sight.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6115.jpeg  
Old 01-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I added a rod holder specifically as a grill mount. Works great.
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Not familiar with your boat but looking at the photo in post #4, maybe use a rail mount on the rails on the aft end of the flybridge. Then it won’t interfere with the transom or swim platform.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:33 PM   #7
Guru

Thanks Dave. Plenty of places to mount a grill up top, but too far from my galley to be practical.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Not as far as going to the marina grill...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #9
Guru

Bar B Q

We mounted ours on the port side upper deck railing. It kept the smoke from grilling up and away. You should be able to purchase the simple attaching parts at West Marine.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Not as far as going to the marina grill...
Hehe, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
We mounted ours on the port side upper deck railing. It kept the smoke from grilling up and away. You should be able to purchase the simple attaching parts at West Marine.

John
Hmmm, keeping the smoke out of the salon is a very good point. At anchor, a transom mount would seem to usually be fine for smoke management, but not in a slip. Interesting...
Old 01-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #11
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
Hehe, that's for sure.

Hmmm, keeping the smoke out of the salon is a very good point. At anchor, a transom mount would seem to usually be fine for smoke management, but not in a slip. Interesting...
I rarely if ever grill in a slip but even so, a transom mount would work for 75% of wind directions. If wind is coming over the transom, you could always move the grill somewhere else and use the feet, even perhaps the dock? I don't think that would be my primary consideration for a mounting spot.
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #12
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Magma grills are,, well crap. One setting...HOT!

Take that grill and set it at a fish cleaning table with a note "yours for free!"

Then go buy you a gas weber grill. You will not be disappointed. Crusty turn me on to it. BEST grill I have ever had.

I put my magma at a fish cleaning station in Ketchikan. It was still there when we left, 2 weeks later.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210120_164658.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	113144Click image for larger version

Name:	20210120_165246.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	113145
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #13
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

Take that grill and set it at a fish cleaning table with a note "yours for free!"

Then go buy you a gas weber grill. You will not be disappointed. Crusty turn me on to it. BEST grill I have ever had.

I put my magma at a fish cleaning station in Ketchikan. It was still there when we left, 2 weeks later.Attachment 113144Attachment 113145
I have to agree. After 25 years of futzing around with various expensive marine grills, I went with a Weber. I too have problems storing it so I keep it on a bench except when needed. I also set it on a rail mount table. I went on top deck as comodave suggested. Not overly convenient, but not the worst either

Let's face it, after a while, these all get grungy. I don't want it in plain sight all the time.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:16 PM   #14
STB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

I put my magma at a fish cleaning station in Ketchikan. It was still there when we left, 2 weeks later.Attachment 113144Attachment 113145

Yep! Got that grill to. Fantastic.

And, I had a Magma...well...not so fantastic.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #15
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I have to agree. After 25 years of futzing around with various expensive marine grills, I went with a Weber. I too have problems storing it so I keep it on a bench except when needed. I also set it on a rail mount table. I went on top deck as comodave suggested. Not overly convenient, but not the worst either

Let's face it, after a while, these all get grungy. I don't want it in plain sight all the time.

Peter
Every so often I will clean the drain pan. Then use oven cleaner to clean the rest. I never ever spray the grill plates.

After I cook I use a wire brush and water on high.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #16
Guru

Hmmm, I can hear the conviction in you guys' words. I already own the Magma, so I am tempted to mount it with the Dual Locking Flush Deck Socket Mount as planned and use it until it wears out or dies, but it makes sense to sell it or leave it at the fish cleaning station and go to a Q now. I have trusted Weber charcoal grills my whole life.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:56 PM   #17
STB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
Hmmm, I can hear the conviction in you guys' words. I already own the Magma, so I am tempted to mount it with the Dual Locking Flush Deck Socket Mount as planned and use it until it wears out or dies, but it makes sense to sell it or leave it at the fish cleaning station and go to a Q now. I have trusted Weber charcoal grills my whole life.
For whatever it is worth, I got rid of my Magma with the boat and bought the Q for the new one. I wouldn't buy another Magma and would easily buy another Q or Weber more generally. But, if I still had the Magma, I'd keep it until it died. No reason to waste whatever life it has in it, at least there wouldn't be for me. You could get years.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Sure glad I did not read this before buying my Magma Catalina II A10-1218-2GS-CSA.
This the first boat BBQ that does not blow out, that grills a steak before the inside is overcooked, I like med/rare and nice grill lines, it produces. As to one switch hot yes it does have that too but mid range is usual. Admittedly, my first magam after reading comparison reviews, perhaps the first one you ex magma guys would reconsider. The infrared grill thing must be the game changer.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:10 PM   #19
STB
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Sure glad I did not read this before buying my Magma Catalina II A10-1218-2GS-CSA.
This the first boat BBQ that does not blow out, that grills a steak before the inside is overcooked, I like med/rare and nice grill lines, it produces. As to one switch hot yes it does have that too but mid range is usual. Admittedly, my first magam after reading comparison reviews, perhaps the first one you ex magma guys would reconsider. The infrared grill thing must be the game changer.
The one I had was the Cabo A10-703. In their marine line vs land line, but relative low end, I think.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:11 PM   #20
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Forget the Magma, get a Weber Q series, just saying!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote