Where to mount my Magma Catalina grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Magma T10-185 is very interesting. I take it the grill is rock solid atop that pedestal? The dual mount not only has two contact points, but is much shorter when mounted on the gunwale. Holes are required though. I really like that the T10-185 pedestal "foot" requires no hole.

Yes it is rock solid. I do not leave it out underway however. I keep it in the transom locker to keep it nice. But removing it is just pressing the button and lifting it up. And removing the pole is stepping on the button and unscrewing it. There are screw holes for the mount in the platform obviously, but no hole for the pole. It is very unobtrusive and not a toe stubber at all.

To be clear, my current grill is a Q. It works great. But I've traded out for a Magma (which I've owned before). I'm aware of their strengths and shortcomings but I didn't like the idea of jury rigging it to some sort of mount. I wanted something cleaner and simpler.
BD

To be clear, my current grill is a Q. It works great. But I've traded out for a Magma (which I've owned before). I'm aware of their strengths and shortcomings but I didn't like the idea of jury rigging it to some sort of mount. I wanted something cleaner and simpler.
BD

Thanks BD. So you are replacing a Weber Q with a Magma grill because you mount is clean and simple? I can sure appreciate that if performance and results are comparable.

I have owned several Weber grills, but I have no experience at all with Magma or any marine grill. I am also a charcoal guy, so the gas thing is completely new too.

So the Q has no mount. I could certainly rig something where I bolt it to a piece of starboard or something I suppose, but that didn't appeal to me. I just set it on the swim platform and grilled (not allowed to grill on the dock) but it would drip on the deck occasionally and it wasn't stable enough when out at anchor with no mount and waves and wake.

Also, my cockpit is enclosed with canvas so any rail mount there was out of the question. I would have had to do a rail mount on the flybridge and hauling food up and down to grill seemed like begging for a dropped steak or my corn to roll overboard. That leaves the swim platform as my only option.

My last Magma was an infrared model. It was perfect for preventing flare up but kept me from getting the sear that I was looking for. I chose the standard model this time, hoping that I can manage the flare up. BTW the Q has nothing to manage flare either and I had to stay on top of that.

My old model was before they made the new improvements to prevent blowing out. I definitely had numerous situations where the grill blew out before, and it was a HUGE pain. I'm hoping that this new model will improve on that, and reviews give me confidence that it is indeed improved. We'll see I guess. Season will start late April for me so I've got some time to wait.

BD

Not as far as going to the marina grill...

Our marina doesn't even allow you to use a grill on the boat but they do have charcoal grills ashore. It's a city marina and the fire department made the rule so they have no choice but to obey. Can't blame them really, marina fires are ugly. My sailboat's still out on a mooring and they don't care about grills out there.

Few things, for Magma and comments about too hot, go with a low flow regulator which should cure that problem. I do agree it burns hot. As far as placement, we had a screw in plate installed in the swim step that a tall cylinder screws in and the grill attaches to that. You can stand in the cockpit and grill while drippings stay overboard. It's worked great. We just switched boats and i'm going with same setup.

We just adapted the magma mount for a bait table and secure the Q to the table. Store the Q in the lazerette when not in use.

D27B8C92-E3A0-4684-B813-DADB95327D9A.jpeg

Guessing our marina will not allow grilling aboard either. Perhaps that tips the balance toward mounts that facilitate easy removal. I had been thinking that a near permanent mount would be fine as the grill may only come off in the winter.

Have you already used the Magma?

I'd note they have a propensity for mess underneath, particularly if what you're grilling is fatty/oily and gets to burning.

Not especially worried about fire so much as mess.

It is new to me and I have not yet used it. So the grease catching "tray" doesn't catch the grease? That's disappointing. The mounts that rotate outboard are intriguing, but they look too flimsy and insecure for something the size of the Catalina or Q.

A lot of us mount the grills onto fish cutting boards. They serve as a good way of transitioning from one type of mount to the boat and another type of mount to the grill. For example, I have a Magma double rail mount attached to the bottom of the fish cutting board, and U-bolt captured the grills legs from the top.

But, they also serve as a place to put things down while grilling....and a backup drip pan in case any mess somehow clears the official drip pan. In my case, I've never had that problem.

But, a belt-and-suspenders approach to keeping dripping hot fat off the boat was part of the reason I used the cutting board vs something less deep and cheaper.

I had a problem mounting my Magma on my Grand Banks. Finally contacted Magma because they didn’t offer a mount that would work. They have been fabulous to work with and have made a custom mounting bracket for me. Hope to have it soon.

We have a 2007 Mariner 35’. Our bbq is the round Magma which works well. Though ours is mounted on a short rail piece at the back one option for you could be to install a 90 degree Downrigger mount, get a welder to make your double mount into a single. It could then be inserted into the Downrigger spot when not fishing. Magma makes these so it is t that difficult.
This past summer we installed a 90 degree mount on the SB side which has worked well.
Here are a couple pics.
If you need more information, let me know and I’ll provide more pics.
Brent

Attachments

• 6B5D128B-0F3D-40D6-8BB8-56A5113A043B.jpg
    6B5D128B-0F3D-40D6-8BB8-56A5113A043B.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 777F4A81-0141-4CED-BAC2-6569E26F5BAB.jpg
    777F4A81-0141-4CED-BAC2-6569E26F5BAB.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 14
If you use your grill at anchor. Centerline of the boat at the stern offers the most protection from the wind

Motion30. Good comment and true for most boats. 90% of our boating is on the hook and we haven’t had any issues. As pictured, ours in on the rail on stern so it’s in 12” from port. Brother has his attached through his Downrigger, as described above, on a 34 Riviera and works very well. I could see that under high winds that being closer to centreline would be less windy.

Last edited:
We have a Magma rectangular model, not sure of designation, but I couldn’t be happier with the performance as it is hot enough to get a great sear. Other grills just “steamed” stuff and left fish mushy. Those who think them too hot just need to shut them down and let the meat finish. We had it rail mounted where I had to install the rail, but it was in the way docking and line handling even though it was in the cockpit. We store it in a crate now in the lazarette and use it on a cockpit table where there is room for tools and transfer plates for food. We have not had issues with the drip pan and have found that when it is cleaned each use it is more than adequate. That said we don’t make ground meat which tends to be greasy.

I only wish my major concern was where to mount my grill ...(sigh)

I have a different boat and a different grill, but I mounted my Weber by securing the legs with U-bolts to a sturdy fish cutting board.

The fish cutting board was, in turn, bolted to a Magma grill double horizontal mount:

https://www.amazon.com/Magma-Products-T10-680-Extended-Horizontal/product-reviews/B0018Y8DOW

And, of course, the rail mount was secured by its own lever-handled clamps to a rail, the rail at the aft of the flybridge, in particular.

If your Magma grill accepts the horizontal mount directly, you can skip 2 steps.

It looks like it'd never weather a storm or rough weather, but in 2 years I only took it down for one named storm and Hurricane Eta. It totally stays put. The cloth grill cover has blown off once or twice, though.

Just an idea that may or may not apply.

See attached photos.

We did that exact thing on our last boat.

I have not had a Magma that not blow out. I am not pleased.

When your problem is "the gas grill on my yacht sometimes blows out", life is pretty good. LOL

Back
Top Bottom