Old 07-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #101
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Another chime in here...
Whew, that is good stuff. Thanks C letric!
Old 07-24-2022, 06:27 PM   #102
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
Is that second compressor worth the additional $1300? The power consumption listed is very similar for the two models.

And is it safe to assume it is a direct replacement for the old unit?
In my mind, yes. It gives separate fridge and freezer temp control. So you can get the freezer colder without freezing stuff in the fridge. And it'll be a little easier to tweak to get maximum cooling power and minimum power draw out of the fridge portion.

Form factor wise, the 9000 and 9200 are the same. Just more stuff in the lower equipment section on the 9200.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:30 PM   #103
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Is that second compressor worth the additional $1300? The power consumption listed is very similar for the two models.

And is it safe to assume it is a direct replacement for the old unit?
I don’t know. Haven’t looked at the specs. I do believe it is the same size. The only other issue I can think of is the electricity usage and whether the wires, breakers and/or fuses are the right gauge for it. Probably are, but I would look at it. I would give NovaKool a call. They were tremendously helpful to me a couple of years ago when I had to replace the power unit.

I think the other “fixes” would remain important to do, if possible. The fan, the insulation, etc. the venting should be fine.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #104
Guru

I will definitely pursue the fixes I can do, but it's good to have that back up in my saved file. Thanks guys.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #105
Guru

Here are the product specs.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...+2021+-+R3.pdf
Old 07-24-2022, 06:36 PM   #106
Guru

Efficiency wise, with the 9200 you can add fans to move more air across the evaporator and then turn the thermostat up. That'll keep box temp and evap temp closer. Based on the compressor spec sheets that both improves cooling capacity and efficiency. Can't do that with the single compressor as the freezer will end up at fridge temp.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:59 AM   #107
Guru

Better intel on my situation after this week's trip to the boat. Our fridge is a Norcold DE0061. The manual troubleshooting guide says if the simple stuff checks out, which it does, either the controller board overheated at 212 F or the ambient temperature exceeds 110 F.

The support folks assure me that the controller is almost certainly way under 212 degrees, but the boat interior could easily be 110 degrees in the summer. The support folks explained that the manual should probably say "if it's that hot in your boat, don't expect your pop to stay cold."

That is the bottom line. Norcold's RV and marine refrigerators just aren't designed to cool in extreme conditions. Our fridge works just fine when the boat is in the 80s or lower. I found the freezer temperature at 13 F and the fridge at 30 F when the ambient temperature inside was 75. Can't ask for more than that. The moral of the story is do not leave perishable stuff aboard in the summer.
Old 08-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Better intel on my situation after this week's trip to the boat. Our fridge is a Norcold DE0061. The manual troubleshooting guide says if the simple stuff checks out, which it does, either the controller board overheated at 212 F or the ambient temperature exceeds 110 F.

The support folks assure me that the controller is almost certainly way under 212 degrees, but the boat interior could easily be 110 degrees in the summer. The support folks explained that the manual should probably say "if it's that hot in your boat, don't expect your pop to stay cold."

That is the bottom line. Norcold's RV and marine refrigerators just aren't designed to cool in extreme conditions. Our fridge works just fine when the boat is in the 80s or lower. I found the freezer temperature at 13 F and the fridge at 30 F when the ambient temperature inside was 75. Can't ask for more than that. The moral of the story is do not leave perishable stuff aboard in the summer.
That's part of why I typically leave the A/C running when we're not on the boat. I don't care if it's 80* inside, but I do care if it's 100+ and humid (both as far as the fridge staying cold and not damaging anything else aboard with heat and humidity).
Old 08-05-2022, 11:14 AM   #109
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Get more ventilation around the back of the refer. Add a fan to circulate the hot air up and out a high vent. Have a low vent to allow cool air into the cabinet. We replaced ours with an Isotherm refer and the only problem so far is that it is almost too cold. It froze my wife’s yogurt in the fridge section. We have been turning it down so it isn’t as cold but we have been doing it gradually.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #110
Guru

Quote:

Thanks for the report back. That will help others with the same issue. I guess the marine fridges have a trade off between energy used versus cooling capacity which makes sense to me.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:45 PM   #111
Veteran Member

City: Colbert
fridge update

Been out a month and this is the first internet and dock. Thanks to all who replied. Next year going to add the extra fan and also the idea of tupperware for keeping things organized and easier and quicker to retrieve. We did survive a week long 90+ week heat wave in northern BC waters. Fridge is behaving better with new fan and thermostat, as well as not opening it up as often. putting shades on the boat help so will do a permanent fix for next year. depending on heat outside, we've been able to maintain 15-18 freezer and 34-38 fridge with an occassional 40. when it's hot we have a quart frozen which we put in the fridge. on cool days seems like I'm going through about 80 amp hours in 24 hours, and on hot days closer to 100. Getting to know the boat better and taking care of issues as they come up. When we return to civilization, I'll have many more questions. thanks again.
capran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:55 AM   #112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I guess the marine fridges have a trade off between energy used versus cooling capacity which makes sense to me.
I think so too. Optimizing heat exchange by keeping surfaces clean and fans moving air makes a difference. At the moment, I am weighing the benefits of cleaning and replacing the fan with what seems like a strong likelihood of breaking the 15 year old plastic trim when I remove it to gain access to the business end of the Norcold fridge.