Starlink on a Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Out with the old and in with the new. Swapped the Intellian i3 for a Starlink HP dish.
IMG_1370.jpg

Needed to replace the mast for the anchor light, as the old one did not extend far enough aft to clear the Starlink dish. Other than that, it was a pretty straightforward install.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 23
Out with the old and in with the new. Swapped the Intellian i3 for a Starlink HP dish.
View attachment 137131

Needed to replace the mast for the anchor light, as the old one did not extend far enough aft to clear the Starlink dish. Other than that, it was a pretty straightforward install.

Chris

That is a good solution for a mast. I am still considering where to place my flat panel. The immediate thought is on the arch. I have the clearance to place it below the radar beam. I have the Helmsman supplied light standard and a custom Seaview 7.5” radar mount to get the radar beam above the Bimini, but below the steaming light. So, I can’t mount it above the radar, but it will keep it under the radar if I “flat mount” it.

The issue, as always with these decisions, is how to mount it with the least impact to the arch, if I place it there. An antenna mount on the side of the arch, or a short one on the top, may be the way to go. Either will be out of the radar beam. There is also a flat mount being sold that allows you to quick release it and “take it with you”.

Incidentally, we had the Starlink placed temporarily up top for a 140 mile trip up the Tennessee and always had service. I didn’t measure the MBpS reception, but it was sufficient for all activities, including work. Nice to have.

That is set up to market to the commercial maritime market. It encompasses two satellites.

What most cruisers would opt for is the RV portability dish. On the Starlink facebook group, there was a comment from someone who had their dish stop working. Starlink purportedly replied that the dishes are not built to withstand a heavy rainstorm. They offered a refurbished replacement for $200 or so dollars.

The durability of the current RV version is a concern for me particularly in a high moisture environment (with salt in many cases) and why I am waiting to see what happens as we move forward through the winter.

I could see the Starlink folks coming out with a dish that has a motor designed for more movement than the portable version, and some protections for a marine environment, that perhaps fits the 1" 14 antenna standard. The cost will be higher for the satellite, and that may end up being a market issue that they are unable to overcome.

On the FB site I saw a fellow trawler mount the dishy under his canvas, states it works great and stays dry.

Back
Top Bottom