Spurs/line cutters on Camano 31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avy

I’m wanting to install spurs or line cutters on my Camano prior to starting Loop. I like the Spurs brand, but not sure it will fit on shaft. Any suggestions? I hit a submerged crab pot last year and it set me back over A grand.

Install a Globe Drivesaver flex coupling on your shaft flange. Should move your prop back far enough to fit Spurs on.

Spurs work very well. I have them on my boat. They have information on their web site of the space required to fit them.

Attachments

• 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: Avy
I fitted one of these as I'm not a fan of Spurs complexity and price. I live in Maine and there's a lobster pot every five or six feet in many places and this has worked fine and it's simple to install. Got it from ASAP Supplies in the UK.1234.jpg About $150.00

Another simple one piece "disc style" shaft line cutter, this one with 2 cutting edges and serrated cutting blades.

:socool:

Attachments

• SHAFT%20RAZOR-500x500.jpg
    SHAFT%20RAZOR-500x500.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 54
Stella had Spurs in place when we bought her and drive savers had been installed to make space. We sent the Spurs for factory rebuild and were told that total replacement was required. Given the cost and complexity we chose to replace them with simpler Shaft Sharks. Also replaced one drive saver as one of the thread inserts had stripped out.

There are a few You Tube videos which test different types of line cutters.

+1 for the Shaft Shark. I like the simplicity of it. That is what we will be installing when the boat is delivered next month. Evaluated many others, but not a fan of the moving parts...

https://www.ab-marine.com/shaft-shark/

Here's another simple one only for a 1.5" shaft it's $637.52, the evolution about $300.00 depending on source and the plain blade I have from ASAP at about $134.00. Mine works fine but I have no experience with the others, I'm too cheap to find out.piranha_line_rope_cutter_1024x1024@2x.png R.E. Thomas Marine Hardware in Maine

Do all of these line cutters work with the lead-cored sinking line? Do they require some kind of anti-fouling coating? What about corrosion?

Thanks!

Do all of these line cutters work with the lead-cored sinking line? Do they require some kind of anti-fouling coating? What about corrosion?

Thanks!

Mine cuts 3/8ths poly pot warp fine and hasn't corroded in two years, I see no reason it wouldn't cut lead core line. I have heard that the serrated type tend to pull the line around the shaft before cutting sometimes leaving it wrapped away from the blade, I can't say if this is true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom