Spare Prop and?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have spare props and tailshafts. The props are a little off perfect, but would save airfreight and hassle in a remote area. They also would give me time to get a better price. Funny how the price goes down when you're not in a hurry. I got the tailshafts because they're monel and my boat hasn't been made in 70 years.

Great comment regarding the Cummins engines, one question, with a twin is it necessary or will the alternate unit help? Or is it design specific.
Sorry for the newby twin question. Thanks.

Cummins engines are all the same in the case of twins. the rotation is changed at the transmission so most parts can swap to either engine, except propellers.

I carry a spare inverter/charger & a spare solenoid common to our 2 x Tecma toilets. If either failed it would spoil a long cruise for us. And in place of a simple spare, I installed an AC & a DC fresh water pump in parallel with appropriate valving so when (not if) one of those fails we can carry on.

I have wondered if I should carry a spare fuel solenoid and/or a starter for our twin ummins 6bta's.....thoughts?

The answer is a spare engine. I have twins.

I've been running boats since the early 60s, mostly twins. In that time I only came in twice on one engine. In single engine boats I never had a failure. But all were heavy duty engines.

Over many years cruising the Inside Pasasage, I've developed a fairly extensive collection of spares. Some were obvious choices, like belts, impellers, filters, various light bulbs, bolts/nuts and screws. Others were added as we experienced damage, failures, or parts that just wore out.

The list now includes props and prop wrench and nuts, pumps and pump parts, cover plate and bolts for the seawater pump, zincs, starter and starter solenoid, alternator brushes and diodes, belt tensioner roller, small windlass parts, wiper blades, anchor roller, watermaker seals, o-rings and fiber washers, hose clamps, and more. And a fairly extensive set of tools.

Even if I don't actually have a spare on board, it can be very handy to have the exact part number or specs if I need to have one shipped in.

Now busy developing the spares collection for the newer boat.

Last edited:
I have wondered if I should carry a spare fuel solenoid and/or a starter for our twin ummins 6bta's.....thoughts?

A spare starter is a good idea. The fuel solenoid can be operated manually in a pinch by pulling it open and tying it in the open position to run and untying to stop. Tie or tape a 10

Last edited:
A spare starter is a good idea. The fuel solenoid can be operated manually in a pinch by pulling it open and tying it in the open position to run and untying to stop. Tie or tape a 10

And thus the lesser importance to carry spares if you understand your equipment and are creative in temporary repairs.

Tie or tape a 10mm 12 point socket to the spare starter. This is the only set of bolts on a Cummins that requires a 12 point socket and many socket sets do not have it. Without it you cannot remove the starter.

Last edited:
Tie or tape a 10mm 12 point socket to the spare starter. This is the only set of bolts on a Cummins that requires a 12 point socket and many socket sets do not have it. Without it you cannot remove the starter.

Gary, you have a great boat name.....Goodbye Money. I have the sistership!:D

My spare is a TowBoatUS membership card. And a credit card. I was stuck at a marina once with a failed transmission oil cooler. Credit card and overnight shipping saved the day.

My spare is a TowBoatUS membership card. And a credit card. I was stuck at a marina once with a failed transmission oil cooler. Credit card and overnight shipping saved the day.

Where that is possible....

Where some cruise here, mechanical skills and spares are what it is all about...... to enjoy without sitting forever.....

I do carry a spare prop, potable water pump, and macerator pump. Also belts, impeller kits, and at least one of every replaceable filter that I know about. My cruising ground is Florida so replacement parts are plentiful. Now it would be different story if going to the Bahamas.

Last edited:
Thanks to the previous owner, we have spares for all major components, including the damper plate.
The boat also came with a spare prop, puller, and wrench.

Thanks to the previous owner, we have spares for all major components, including the damper plate.
The boat also came with a spare prop, puller, and wrench.

Not directed your way, just for general consumption.

On my boat, I pulled the transmission for service while replacing the dampner plate.

Now not sure I could replace it again without pulling the transmission for room to work.

As been said many times, if you carry spares, make sure you have thought the procedure out well and have all the tools.

I had a spare mast winch on board to do mine...but put it on the mast before the trip as the other one quit.

I keep a list of part numbers, if I am feeling particularly flu$h I add another spare part. 12V pumps and impellers run high on the list. Losing your toilet because an impeller hardened can become most inconvenient :) Likewise the pump that moves your potable water to the water heater and faucets.

I am actually less concerned about major spares than I am about the things I use daily. I keep up on major maintenance (as I am learning) and try to have it all done before I launch in the spring. It can be a blessing not have a slip and to pull out every fall, it gives me a breather to check and inspect.

The first couple of weeks every spring are checking my upgrades and maintenance for issues before I head around to the "big water" for the rest of the summer. Next fall I want to pull the transmission and have it overhauled, no issues with it but it will have 3500 hours on it by then. I replaced all my hoses including injectors two seasons ago, and don't typically carry any spare hose... But I do try to leave them a little long just in case.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom