Shaft Tube Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrisaensing

Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
Camano / Troll
I have a Camano 31 built in 2000
Anyone know the size of the shaft tube? I have to replace the dripless shaft seal

Attachments

• DSCN0898 (2).jpg
    DSCN0898 (2).jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 29
Should be a model numbers on the rubber boot lf not get a pair of calipers.
Fisheries supply has what you need and it ships for free.
Calipers are good to have. Note there are two set screws in every hole on top of each other. All hose clamps should be a good 316 stainless steel.
Don

Prop size, hours

Thanks for the blog posts - great resource for all 31' owners.

Did you happen to note the size of your prop? Mine's 20x18, but I've seen in some Yachtworld ads prop size 20x20. (YW is a fun place to look for Camano improvement ideas.) I don't yet have a spare, but am considering ordering a new prop and carrying my old one as a spare. Old one looked fair in 2018, will get another look this spring. No groundings or big hits, apart from a Manatee (in NC.....who knew), and the keel probably deflected the Manatee from the prop. (2005, hull 232, prop is probably original).

BTW, how many hours did your Camano have when replaced the stuffing box, cutlass bearing, etc.

Thanks!

Camano Shaft Seal & Prop

NC Heavan

Prop - My prop is a 20 x 20 LH. Which seams correct but a little less pitch might even be better when loaded. Since our Camanos aren't "Speed Demons" & I have thus far gotten well over 3000 hours on the Volvo, I think it it good.

My engine had just shy of 3000 hours on it when I got it. I suspect it was leaking a little before that, the owner says it wasn't but since it was minimal he may not have noticed it. When I contacted Tides Marine they confirmed it was the original seal from 1999. The original seal was a Tides "Strong Seal" which is not made anymore but was very robust, It had a long cutless type seal holding the shaft and a rubber lip seal. The new one has a lip seal only & my guess it will not last as long, so I put an extra seal on it in a carrier.

hello Camano owners

My prop is a 20L x 22 on a Yanmar 200 Hp
2006 Camano hull 248
Presently 1750 Hours on her, bought her at 1450hrs.
Hard to put on more than 100 hours a season up here in the great white north.
Tides seal in great shape.
Cheers
Colin
DeTour
Toronto/Midland.

Thanks, Colin. With the 20x18 on my Camano with a Volvo TAMD41P-A 200 hp, I get a max 14.4 kt at 3750 WOT. (I run WOT just few minutes per cruise to blow out the exhaust system after having to have a mechanic dig out handfuls of sludge from the exhaust after years of mostly 1800 RPM cruising.) I'm wondering how that compares to your WOT or other high RPM performance with a 20x22 prop. Do you know if 20x22 came as original to the boat? Of course, the difference might be the engine.

I'd be delighted to hear from other Camano 31' folk on this prop/performance question, too.

Wot

I get about 14 kts / 17 mph with my 20 x 20 - same here. I don't run WOT very often. I have over 3000 hours

wot, rpm and boat speed

So my Yanmar is 200hp max rpm 3400rpm. my 20x22 prop is original.
I run in at 28-3100 once in every 3 or 4 outing for 15 minutes.
Get about 14 knots depending on if uphill or downhill and full tanks and stores.
I have no issue pushing the diesel hard at 85% rpm but general cruise at 7.5 knots (1800-2100rpm) at 1.75 gallons per hour.

As a note or caution. I have the Centex muffler/water lift. When I bought the boat I kept noticing what was a fluid in the basin. Turns out the exhaust had a 1000 pin holes from likely and over heating situation.
Here is video link
https://youtu.be/HE8LpJ_MjnQ
My point is, if you over heat check the muffler for damage. Easily repairable.
Use epoxy resin

Muffler

Great information, thanks for posting that!

Muffler

YellowPiper, you said Epoxy, then polyester? Did you use Epoxy or?

We are hull 233 (2005) with the Volvo Tamd41pa.

Have the OEM Hyborg prop 20x18.7

Engine has 1638 hours of which we have put almost exactly 900 in the last 3 years since purchase. No sign she won’t keep going for some time yet!

We replaced our water lift muffler this year - centek can still custom make the original model (they are in Florida if I recall).

At WOT we get 3900 rpm which is on spec according to the manual and about 15 knots. We cruise at 7 Knots unless conditions call for more speed and have averaged just under 2 U.S. gph since we got the boat.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom