Old 12-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Salon Suggestions for the Troll

We've been wrestling with this for a while. Like many others, we have no expectation that we'll use the salon table configured with cushions as a second bed. Once that decision is make, for us the next question is how to reconfigure things for the most comfort and practical use....for us.
We really don't care for the factory set up; table is too big and makes using the L shaped settee awkward.

We've thought of several alternatives:
Remove table and settee and replace with a couple small recliners and a drop leaf table.
Remove table but leave settee and replace table with one, smaller table. Or remove and replace with two smaller square tables with a leaf between them. That way you could use the tables for dining, but drop the leaf and have better access to the settee and storage.

I've seen photos of a few setups. Still not sure what to pick.

What have folks used and how do you like the results? In particular, if you use some sort of alternative table, has anyone used something they are absolutely crazy about, or that they really regret?

We'll be making the change this winter. We're pulling the carpet and replacing with hard wood, so obviously now is the best time.

Appreciate others' thoughts, photos, suggestions or bad experiences to watch out for.

Whatever we remove, we will keep in storage so if/when we sell the boat, the new folks can go back to original if they choose to.

thanks in advance.

toni
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Hi Toni. I totally agree with you about the stock table and extra sleeping berth conversion. I didn't like it and that's why I removed the table completely. I went in a different direction though....I added a Co Captains seat.

I think what you're envisioning sounds like a great idea. I love the idea of 2 comfy chairs or recliners. Then maybe a small table in between.

On my boat I thought about that but it wouldn't work. For starters, my reverse cycle AC unit is under the corner piece of the settee (Im assuming you don't have AC?). The other thing to keep in mind is that you'll be loosing a large amount of hidden storage. I actually love the storage area under the settee, I keep A LOT of things in there.

I'll keep looking for other pictures Toni and see what I can find. I'm sure there's something floating around somewhere (maybe on Pacific Camano or ECCO). Here's that video that I posted a while ago about the unique Camano salon.

BTW, why are you removing the rug and not just replacing it? I\Personally, I like the carpet. You get a warm and cozy feel!! Haha! Until you spill your drink or food on the carpet.....

https://youtu.be/s9549Yq-W1w

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

Thanks Jason
after the carpet comes out and I put the wood floor in, we'll use a couple throw rugs. I agree about the carpet feel, but with 3 dogs, we spend all of the time vacuuming. On my last boat, I put wood in and found it way easier to sweep up the dog hair. The throw rugs aren't as good as full carpeting, but its's ok. Everything's a compromise.

toni
Old 12-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Troll Salon

I took 4+ inches off the galley end of the table which made that end much more useful/accessible. That is where I do my computing, etc... I also eat there if the laptop is stowed but usually I eat at the far end facing the TV on the upper counter. The table may be bigger than I 'need' but I like the idea that I can use the mid-section for a hobby and not h impact my computing/eating locations.

My table is narrower at the galley end which I assume was stock. What isn't stock is a lengthwise hinge though I almost always have the leaf up. I am still looking for the perfect folding chair to use for gaming/dining on the starboard side of the table and as a alternate tv viewing option.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #5

Thanks Milton. Good Suggestions. I'd thought about a lengthwise leaf, but if we go with two smaller tables, that goes out the window. Maybe if we went with one table, but shortened it as you did, a hinge on the outside might be a way to go.....hmmm. I do think that if we shorten it on the galley end a few inches, we'll do the same on the cockpit end. Or...I could lose a few pounds to make sliding in and around to the back side less of a pain.
I know I'm uncertain enough that whatever I do, I'll start with a simple plywood mock up, try it for a trip or two, and then do it right if I like it.

toni
Old 12-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #6
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I know exactly what you mean. My salon table was the same. It was a tight fit getting in behind it and it was too long to play cards on, but I occasionally needed the extra berth. The cushion insert cushion item slid out of place so the bed really didn’t work very well.

What I did was cut the table down to 2/3 the size and made a portable cockpit table out of the other 1/3.
I then made a new insert but slightly different. First I built a small cabinet to the height required to be a centre support for the insert. The table support inserted through the top of the cabinet and was held much more stable. The berth insert was flat except for one side which had an edge to hold the cushion in place properly.
When not in use the insert fits in as a headboard on our primary berth.

It was one of the best changes I made to the boat.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

Thanks for that. Next time you get a chance, could you shoot a picture and post it? Sounds pretty good.

oh wait...you're "down under". So will the table be upside down or something??
Old 12-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
I had looked at the troll on-line earlier this year. As we were thinking about maybe getting a troll primarily as a couples cruiser (wife and I), I was thinking about replacing the settee with a couple of recliners and a drop leaf table if we were to buy such a boat.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
I had looked at the troll on-line earlier this year. As we were thinking about maybe getting a troll primarily as a couples cruiser (wife and I), I was thinking about replacing the settee with a couple of recliners and a drop leaf table if we were to buy such a boat.

Jim
the Youtube Jason posted above has a pretty nice example of that configuration. My only hesitation, not a huge one, is the loss of storage.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:01 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
the Youtube Jason posted above has a pretty nice example of that configuration. My only hesitation, not a huge one, is the loss of storage.
Toni, do you have AC or not? Some of the PNW Camanos didn't have that option. IMO, if you don't have AC then removing at least half of the settee wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Another tidbit about storage. Does your boat have the fill in floor piece before the v berth? Mine does not but I've seen some with it. That will give you a lot more storage space; the only downside is you'll have to really duck down when entering the v berth.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
I was thinking, maybe a dock box up on the flybridge?

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Toni, do you have AC or not? Some of the PNW Camanos didn't have that option. IMO, if you don't have AC then removing at least half of the settee wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Another tidbit about storage. Does your boat have the fill in floor piece before the v berth? Mine does not but I've seen some with it. That will give you a lot more storage space; the only downside is you'll have to really duck down when entering the v berth.
I don't have AC or a generator, other than a honda I carry when I'm going to be anchoring, so i have quite a bit of storage, but far less than my 4388 bayliner...Its all what you get used to.

I added the fill in the floor pieces and it does give you some additional space, as long as one of the dogs isn't laying on top of it.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
I was thinking, maybe a dock box up on the flybridge?

Jim
I have a really nice fiberglass one up on top. You're right, it gives a place for a quite a bit more. I also have some big "tubs" that slide up under the dash on the flybridge. My biggest bit*h is finding storage for my deck chairs. I can store them in the cockpit, but that's already crowded. I've taken to storing them on the fly bridge, which works, but isn't all that convenient, especially since I have what must be the heaviest deck chairs in the country.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #14
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Thanks for that. Next time you get a chance, could you shoot a picture and post it? Sounds pretty good.

oh wait...you're "down under". So will the table be upside down or something??
Here's a couple photo's explain the changes I made.

I cut off about 40% off the length of the table and made up some new edge moulding. That gave me plenty of room to access the built in seating and makes it much more comfortable. I then built a small fixed storage cupboard which adds stability to the pedestal. No more wobbles. The cupboard is the right height to support the bed insert.
Since the table no longer fit for a bed insert, I made up a plywood insert with an edge to hold the cushion in place on the outer side only. Much more comfortable and stable. The original setup didn't really hold the insert cushion in place very well.
The length of the insert was exactly the same as the width of our other double berth so it is stored against the bulkhead as a bedhead, taking up virtually no space.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1009.jpg   IMG_1002.jpg  
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #15

OK...here's the solutions I came up with for the salon table. The photos show the finished products, but not installed yet. The first two are the new salon table. Its essentially in 3 parts. The two outer sections attache to the two existing stands. The middle section slips in like a leaf. So when we don't need the full table, using the two outside pieces we can get around and between them easily. the last photo is of the new top for the stove. Strangely, its the same wood as the table, but finished differently. The table is rubbed layers of some sort of varnish like stuff, and the stove top is finished with some food grade oil finish.
I'd love to take credit, but actually Kevin and Ellen at Gill nets did them for me
https://www.facebook.com/netsbygill/

Check out the way cool nets they do.
Hard to see in the photos, but everything fits perfectly.

I'll take more shots when installed. The new table is a few inches smaller than the original. Makes things easier in the cabin.
Attached Images

"Satisfaction"