New 38 spec’d and ordered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thinking electronics....
I have extremely basic needs but would like to hear from you if you have an extremely easy to use.... meaning intuitive for technophobe mid 60s lad.
I use iSailor on my iPad and love it.
Would like a plotter that:
1-is as simple to use
2-is an excellent value
I don’t need tons of bells n whistles, just a good value in a 12 inch plotter

I like Navionics on an 8" tablet, but I only use it in the SF Bay and CA Delta. No use outside the Golden Gate.

(I only venture out the Gate for photo ops...)

:socool::speed boat::thumb::peace::hide:

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with other makes to compare it to, but I can say that I've been pretty happy with my Garmin 1242. I went with the non touch screen option, since I'd heard that many people found using the touch screen in rough weather difficult. Looking back now, I wish I'd gotten the touch. The knob and button interface is a little clunky and tedious, especially when laying in a route with lots of waypoints. The rough weather issue might have been a problem twice a year, but the current setup is a little annoying the other 98% of the time.

Aside from that, it's been pretty intuitive.

Agreed
My last was a similar Garmin... very tedius to plot.
I’d use my “touch screen” iPad to plot..
That’s why I was wondering if any other ole non techie is really happy with their new touch screen by ?? model ??

Agreed
My last was a similar Garmin... very tedius to plot.
I’d use my “touch screen” iPad to plot..
That’s why I was wondering if any other ole non techie is really happy with their new touch screen by ?? model ??

My Navionics is on an 8" touchscreen tablet at the lower helm. It something like $15 USD/year.

I’m either missing some, or not explaining properly.
I don’t think you can put touch screen navionics on a non touch screen plotter.
My question is about what plotter...
I use iSailor and navionics on my iPad
It’s to get a good, easy to use, reasonably priced, touch screen plotter I’m wondering about.
Make sense?

FlyWright... what you use is very much like how I’ve been plotting... on my iPad mini. I’m asking about a plotter because I’ll be purchasing one for this new boat anyway, so I might as well get a touch screen model...

FlyWright... what you use is very much like how I’ve been plotting... on my iPad mini. I’m asking about a plotter because I’ll be purchasing one for this new boat anyway, so I might as well get a touch screen model...

Makes sense...

We have a Garmin 942 (would have put in the 12 inch but no room) touchscreen and it works great. We have never been in water rough enough to not be able to use the touchscreen. EmTrak AIS connected. Congrats on the new boat order, we see "Emma B" at the dock here in Campbell River.

I have a Garmin touch screen and several times it was tough to use. But it would not have been better with the mouse.

Can't beat Garmins ease of use and connectivity.

Garmin

I use a Garmin 1242 on the flybridge, 942 in the cabin helm station, Garmin Fusion 18" pulse compression radar on an arch. Delighted with all three. MFDs are touch screen, easy enough. Previously I had 2005 C-series Raymarines original to the boat.

Installer and mechanic who each could have recommended any brand suggested Garmin, and the above combination being right for my boat, mounting space considerations (flush, no sight line obstructions) and my stated cruising objectives.

I'm delighted to hear your and TF member comments about your new boat! Keep us posted.

To while away the months until completion....

You might enjoy reading Longfellow's "The Building of the Ship". Three or more stories are intertwined - the ship, a suitor of the builder's daughter, and a wonderful metaphor for our country. The materials mentioned show Longfellow's knowledge of ship building, with some materials the same as for the US Constitution, if my memory is having a good day.

The Constitution's live oak hull was one of its distinctive competencies, and led to sort of an arms race of Atlantic nation's navies trying to procure southern US live oak. If you read about the "Master and Commander" movie, one source says that the Constitution's radical construction was the idea behind the Acheron's supposed technological superiority. (Master and Commander would not have grossed as well if the USA were Jack Aubrey's foe!)

Anyway, enjoy the poem, one that my father quoted from to his sons often, his favorite being my "signature" on TF postings. He used it as a metaphor for building Character.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom