Old 03-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #1

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Endeavor
Vessel Model: Mariner/ Seville 37
Mariner Seville 37 Pilothouse

My name is Matt and I just purchased a new (to me) boat. I have heard there are not many of these made and was wondering if there are any other owners on this list that might be able to help me with a few questions?
trinityloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new boat. I'm sure some of the Helmsman trawler owners will chime in.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #3
Guru

questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityloop View Post
My name is Matt and I just purchased a new (to me) boat. I have heard there are not many of these made and was wondering if there are any other owners on this list that might be able to help me with a few questions?
We just completed a new build and willing to try and answer your questions. Email us at N4061@yahoo.com

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #4

City: Bellingham Wa
Vessel Name: Tinka
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
I have hull #7, bought from PO in August 2015. What are your questions?
Sharpseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #6

Thank you all. I noticed a "dividing board" in the bow anchor locker...does anyone know what this is for? Also, can this boat handle an all chain rode or will it be too much weight in the bow? And finally, the salon exterior window gasket (that covers the screws) is missing. I have located it from a Manship distributor, $400 for 100' and approx. 2-3 month wait. Has anyone replaced this with anything from any other source?
Matt
Old 03-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We have hull 16. Have lived aboard since new 2009. The dividing board is so that you can store two anchors and two rodes. We have 150' chain and 200 feet rode on the port side and 120 feet chain and 250 feet of rode on the starboard side. WE hav [e had the black strip come loose in a few sections, but it always pops back in. Contact Helmsman directly and I am sure they can source the rubber filler strip.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #8

Seville/Helmsman

So is your boat equipped with twin anchor rollers? Also, how do I find out what my hull number is?
Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Guru

On the starboard side of the transom just below the rub rail you will find a 12 digit number. That is the hull ID. Characters 7&8 are the hull number. Our boat is not equipped with two rollers. Our primary anchor rode is on the port side of the locker divider, on the starboard side is the anchor rode and chain for the second anchor and lies on top of it.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #10

Long distance cruising on a Seville/Helmsman

Thanks for the information! I read your biography and was wondering if you know if the boat is capable of long range cruising safely? Not crossing oceans, but running down the Caribbean Island chain or circumnavigating North America? I'm trying to get an understanding of the boats capabilities/limitations.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
You offer a great question! I am familiar with your boat and have operated similar vessels, and operated different vessels on those waters. The vessel is certainly capable of the mission you propose, as long as her material condition is sound.

Since the boat will likely need a crew, I will offer that only a small number of recreational boaters would be prepared for such a trip without significant preparation. Of course a "coastal cruiser" has some limitations in open waters, so the go/no go decision, the risk management, is crucial. There are a significant number of considerations when leaving the contiguous 48/Canada. For example and in no particular order:

- judgement and experience
- weather forecasting
- mechanical casualties (engine/steering)
- medical emergencies
- onboard emergencies (fire/flooding)
- communications
- survival gear
- redundant navigation equipment
- ashore support

This is not at all an insurmountable trip, as long as one respects the risks.

Best Wishes,

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you all. I noticed a "dividing board" in the bow anchor locker...does anyone know what this is for? Also, can this boat handle an all chain rode or will it be too much weight in the bow? And finally, the salon exterior window gasket (that covers the screws) is missing. I have located it from a Manship distributor, $400 for 100' and approx. 2-3 month wait. Has anyone replaced this with anything from any other source?
Matt
I have 200 ft of 1/4" high test chain and with water and fuel tanks full boat still sits a bit bow high. I could actually carry more chain. But don't really need. Next haulout I'm going to have waterline adjusted to how boat actually rides. I don't have a divided chain locker. I had some deteriorated rubber trim on mine and I spoke with Scott Helker (owns Helmsman/Mariner line), and he gave me some of that material. Scott is a really good guy. Give him a call.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the information! I read your biography and was wondering if you know if the boat is capable of long range cruising safely? Not crossing oceans, but running down the Caribbean Island chain or circumnavigating North America? I'm trying to get an understanding of the boats capabilities/limitations.
Our sisters ship (hull Nr 2) has been to Alaska many times.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 AM   #14
Guru

We bought our boat for coastal cruising. The longest we ever planned to be on the ocean was 250nm from Cape May to Cape Cod . So far, in 8 years, our longest run in the ocean has been 60nm. In theory, carrying 400 gallons of fuel @ 6.8kt you should not plan more than 800 nm between fuel stops leaving 25% reserve. As others have said, there are a host of factors beyond the boat itself which must be considered. The boat probably is not the limiting factor. I would be confident taking our boat down the Thorny Path, if we had adequate weather windows. The longest run is only about 100+/- miles. She does not have the fuel capacity for the Northwest Passage. The boat was designed for coastal cruising in temperate climates. If you really want to do high latitude cruising, this is probably not the best choice of boat.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #15

Oops! My mistake, I meant to say the "Big U" portion, AK to NY. I heard of a few 34 American tugs that did this and wondered if any Mariner/Helmsman had also done it?
Old 03-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Tadhana,

I imagine that you must have some hours/experience accumulated with your boat...maybe the most of any Helmsman/Mariner owner?

How many hours do you have on the boat?

What are you favorite three things about it?

What three things would you improve on?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #17
Guru

Jeff, thanks for the questions.
I imagine that you must have some hours/experience accumulated with your boat...maybe the most of any Helmsman/Mariner owner? We have lived aboard since new. As of today that is 7yr 10mo. of continual use.

How many hours do you have on the boat? Engine hours 2800.1

What are you favorite three things about it? 1)The layout. large open salon. The separate head and nice shower: we only use marina showers when we are on the hard. Very good access to machinery components for servicing. Excellent visibility and excellent ventilation in the pilot house. We drive from the pilothouse all the time. The bridge deck area is great for entertaining. Salon table converts to a double. This allows room for our very infrequent guests, without wasting space of a normally unoccupied and unused second stateroom .
2) This will probably jinx me, reliability of all the systems. AC/Heat used for 8 summers and winters. no problems (Fwd AAC was taken out by a lightning strike in yr 4 and replaced) . Two heads in daily use. Never been rebuilt.
3) Sea keeping. My dad was a New England lobster boat builder,I designed and built boats for him. Spent my entire career in the boat building industry and have run all sorts and sizes of boats for god knows how many thousands of hours. So I realize that all boats are a compromise. But when I saw this hull I thought it would be a good compromise, and it has proven to be so. 3 times we have been caught in heavy squalls with exceedingly short steep seas and have driven the bow through waves, taken solid water onto the windshield (the mouth of the Potomac will do that to you), but never lost confidence in the boat.

What three things would you improve on?
1) Move the water tanks forward. with full tanks the stern drops over 4 inches and the bow rises about 2 inches.
2) Helm Station layout. With the fwd cabin entrance offset to starboard, it makes the helm console area very small and a challenge to fit electronics .
3 rudder location and design. Scott has already made one improvement by moving the rudder and prop back about 2 feet. Some of the original boats were built as a 35' express style. If you bought the 37 the rudder and prop are in the same place as the 35. the boat "hunts" a bit. But that being said, she does maneuver very well.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff[/QUOTE]
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #18

Great questions... GREAT answers! Thanks
Old 03-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #19

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Welcome aboard
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #20

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Silver
Vessel Model: Helmsman 31
This change helped dramatically.

"3 rudder location and design. Scott has already made one improvement by moving the rudder and prop back about 2 feet"
dw8928 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helmsman, mariner, seville