How Much $$$ for Cooling System Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TStiles

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
WakeRobin
Vessel Make
Camano 31
I have a Camano 31 with A Volvo D4225 that needs the cooling system completely removed, cleaned, and re-installed, including impeller. Anyone have an idea of what I can expect to spend?

:Thanx:

If Volvo parts are as expensive as I keep hearing they are, you will be happier by far if no new parts are needed aside from the impeller.

I don't think you need to remove anything (except two hoses) to clean the cooling system.

A pro will connect a pump and a reservoir (bucket) and recirculate a cleaning solution through your cooling system for an hour or so and that should clean it out.

I was quoted $500 to do my air conditioning system and I would expect the engine to be in the same ballpark. I decided to buy the equipment and do it myself.

As for the impeller, that is a maintenance item that ideally, would be replaced every two years. For many folks, it's a DIY operation. If you can't do it yourself, I would figure on $40 for the part and an hour's labor at somewhere around $100 per hour.

If you have let it go too long and it came apart and the parts are in the cooling system, expect to pay for a couple hours or more for someone to find them. A cleaning solution won't dissolve them.

I've used Rydlyme several times in the past. Good stuff. The reason I asked about having a shop do it is that I need to do an estimate for a Camano seller who has to outsource to a Volvo shop for the work to be done.

At the presumed age of that engine, I would do a complete disassembly, cleaning, reassembly and testing of all components including the intercooler. That way you know you got all of the broken impeller bits out and the plugged tubes opened.

Make sure you clean the air side and the water side of the intercooler. I did it myself in about 16-20 hours. Maybe a competent mechanic could do it in less. But it is probably going to cost a few thousand $.

Rydlime, Barnacle Buster, etc circulation works fine for periodic cleaning, but not more than every 3-4 years.

David

Thanks David. This is exactly the type of information I'm seeking.

I have volvo Tamd74's so a bit bigger than yours. I know around the north east that if you want a full tear down, pressure test, and cleaning your probably looking at $6-8k per engine.

I have a Camano 31 with A Volvo D4225 that needs the cooling system completely removed, cleaned, and re-installed, including impeller. Anyone have an idea of what I can expect to spend?

:Thanx:

If you are looking to remove, test and clean inter-coolers expect to spend $200-$300 per unit PLUS removal and install.
I had mine done with a 500 hour service so I did much more plus I did my own pump impeller. I would imagine $2000 for a complete job including new engine coolant. My best advice is find someone with experience with that engine. That way they can advise on anything else he finds or you may need.

Everyone's perspective and feedback on this is really appreciated. Thanks gents.

While you’re at it remove and carefully check out the mixing elbow and rest of the exhaust. They get pin hole leaks you may not notice and it’s easier with less down time on the boat to replace while you have things apart. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom