Old 05-21-2023, 11:21 PM   #1

City: Davis, California
Vessel Name: Off Leash
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Helmsman Trawlers in the Wild

Hey all. We wrapped up the Helmsman Rendezvous in Port Townsend this morning and scattered to the winds. Or for those of us who had to leave early this morning to get back to Seattle, a brutal ebb tide. I amend my admonition that the most dangerous thing on a boat is a schedule. It may also be the most expensive. At least when it comes to fuel.

The Helmsman Trawler folks--particularly Scott, Lisa and Van--did a wonderful job. And no surprise, Helmsman owners are a friendly and lively bunch with diverse interests and many talents.

One of the owners (EmBark) put together a list of participants--including their planned cruising destinations for this summer. That got me to thinking. We need a photo log of Helmsmans in the Wild to document where these great boats go. So I am starting this string to encourage all Helmsman and Camano (now Helmsman 31) owners--especially our east coast and Midwest brethren-- to post a picture this summer of your boat in a photogenic and cool destination. It is perfectly fine to trot out a historic photo, but the goal should be to post one from this summer.

Just a photo, not a travelogue or, worse yet, a slide show, please. We can start another string for that.

I will seed this with a photo of a bunch of Helmsmans lined up at the dock for the Rendezvous. It was a glorious sight. I will post again when we get to our northernmost destination in August. Or before if I get a cool shot of the boat.

Jeff (and Barbara) on Off Leash

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2923.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	139052
Old 05-22-2023, 01:41 PM   #2

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
What a line up! How I wish my 46 could have been part of the rendezvous! Next year!!
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Mishy Jean
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Smile

Heading out to complete a 280 mile trip up the Tennessee. That is my brother in law (probably looking for loose change!) No idea why the picture is sideways!
Attached Thumbnails
70637229349__101C3349-CFAE-4E0C-AE15-248B2D191AE2.jpg  
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:40 PM   #4

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (Home at last )
Jeff,

It was an amazing weekend that many of us stretched into Monday using weather as an excuse. We still got a pretty good bashing crossing the strait going north. The rendezvous was amazing and getting to know the Helmsman owners and their boats was fulfilling. It is true that buying a Helmsman gets you more than a very fine boat. It’s comes with membership in a community of people whose search for excellence brought them all to the same brand.

So far, all the photos of our boat have fenders dangling. Hopefully we will soon have some live action photos in the wild to share.

Thanks for all you added to the rendezvous.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 11:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Helmsman - here, I fixed your sideways photo for you. (Beautiful boat!)

Name:	HELMSMAN.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	139072
Old 05-23-2023, 06:33 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Helmsman - here, I fixed your sideways photo for you. (Beautiful boat!)

Attachment 139072
Well, thank you very much! On both counts.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulicjump View Post
So I am starting this string to encourage all Helmsman and Camano (now Helmsman 31) owners--especially our east coast and Midwest brethren-- to post a picture this summer of your boat in a photogenic and cool destination. It is perfectly fine to trot out a historic photo, but the goal should be to post one from this summer.

Just a photo, not a travelogue or, worse yet, a slide show, please. We can start another string for that.

On our trip home from the rendezvous, we were spotted by a friend clamming on Whidbey Island. He sent us a shot of our boat passing Hope Island.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:48 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
On our trip home from the rendezvous, we were spotted by a friend clamming on Whidbey Island. He sent us a shot of our boat passing Hope Island.

The hull color sets it off to me. Cool picture!
Old 06-03-2023, 07:58 PM   #9

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Absolutely beautiful!
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #10
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
An acquaintance of our broker snapped this picture of us off Marblehead in Lake Erie last year and sent it to him and he sent it to us.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1819.jpeg  
Old 06-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Hanging with the sailboats. My travel buddy is off my port bow in a Tartan.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1385.jpg  
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:39 PM   #12

Great pic! We are headed north in a couple of weeks and will post a pic of Off Leash in the Wild.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:26 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
An acquaintance of our broker snapped this picture of us off Marblehead in Lake Erie last year and sent it to him and he sent it to us.
Nice! HTT, Have you been up to Canada yet?
Old 06-05-2023, 08:32 AM   #14
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I try not to follow the posts on newer, more expensive boats. Tends to get me in trouble. But the pictures of these makes me think of the Anti-Roll Tank concept again. The "tuning" of the box-like tank generally requires baffles because water transfers too fast from side to side. Another tuning trick is to make the tank longer, sometimes wider than the pilot house (also increases moment arm, but looks ugly). The Helmsman upper fairing looks to be a nice cresent shape that could fit a cresent-shaped ART. An ART inside of that would have effective end-to-end length equal to (maybe greater than) the vessel's beam. It would effectively have greater capacity at the beam ends, unlike most box tanks.

Feel free to modify your Helmsman and post the results. Actually, it would be nice if a successful ART design was incorporated into production Helmsman. One could still decide to spend $40K for a gyro stabilizer instead of adding 50 gallons of water to the tank.
Old 06-05-2023, 10:24 AM   #15
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
Fascinating. Fit a largish pipe or two tanks connected by a largish pipe inside the bridge console to function as a flume tank? Do you have any math on how much water would be required to quell roll on a 13 ton semi-displacement trawler like the Mariner 37 / Helmsman 38?
Old 06-05-2023, 11:57 PM   #16
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
[QUOTE=HeadedToTexas;1176315]Fit a largish pipe or two tanks connected by a largish pipe inside the bridge console to function as a flume tank?

No, the tank would just be smooth cresent shape (like the flying bridge cowl) to not impede the wave generated inside, merely make the transfer take longer and have greater effective volume at the beam ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedToTexas View Post
Do you have any math on how much water would be required to quell roll on a 13 ton semi-displacement trawler like the Mariner 37 / Helmsman 38?
Depends on how much "quell" is desired. Swan Song, a Monk Roughwater 58, had 1,500# of water in an ART over the pilot house. The owner said it was freakishly stabile. I could tell a noticeable difference in my 30' boat with less than 200# in a tank on the flying bridge.

What caught my eye was the shape and placement of the Helmsman FB cowling. Here is a picture of the ART on Swan Song. Not pretty. A cresent tank under the Helmsman cowling might not allow playing billiards while underway like a $50K gyro, but it might cut the roll by 35% (at anchor and underway) and be invisible (not to mention inexpensive to build, operate and maintain).

If I had a Helmsman, I'd try it. What, no takers?
Old 06-06-2023, 12:53 AM   #17

It didn’t take long for this thread to get way off topic. Hydraulicjump had a great idea but someone hijacked the thread. I hate it when that happens. Can we get it back on topic?
Old 06-23-2023, 08:38 AM   #18

Back on topic: Photo of Off Leash in the Wild

Hey all, getting back to our "baby pictures". Here is Off Leash looking rather lovely at Penrose Point State Park in Washington. Of course, I was so focused on getting a good picture of the boat I neglected to incorporate any background. But isn't that the nature of baby pics?

BTW, this is a reminder to you new to PNW cruising not to neglect Puget Sound Proper (that area south of Admiralty Inlet but still part of the Salish Sea). Most folks are focused on the San Juan Islands, Gulf Islands, etc. There are hidden gems in the deep south Sound that are worth exploring, including all the way down to Olympia. Other than glimpses of Rainier and the Olympics, the scenery is not as great, but for just pure cruising and mixing nights on the hook with nights in marinas, it is great.

Name:	Off Leash 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	139896
Will send some real in-the-wild pics later this summer from the Broughton Archipelago.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley
Vessel Name: Knowing Blue
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
This was taken a few weeks back in Forward Harbour, on our way north. Heading back to our boat after dinner on our friends' GB.
Attached Thumbnails
Taking the Dinghy back to boat in Forward Harbour.jpg  
Two Truths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 06:04 PM   #20

City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
squirrel cove BC

Heading north in the inside passage. Caught up with M&M forever in Squirrel Cove BC. Off exploring. Tom, Jill and Lilly.
(ps I cant get the picture to rotate, so rotate your screen )Click image for larger version

Name:	squirrel cove.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	140105
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote