Helmsman 46

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Cooper

Vessel Name
Tuna Talk
Vessel Make
CC Tournament 30
Helmsman unleashed the new 46 on their website. She's purdy...

Great looking boat. Looking forward to seeing one in person.

The advertisement claims it’s a “go anywhere” boat? Semi-displacement hull, big windows, 500 hp engine and only 800 gallons of fuel.

It’s a cool boat for sure, but to market it as an expedition-style go anywhere boat is a stretch IMO.

On the 43, there is an option to increase the fuel tank capacity. I would imagine that option might exist with the 46.

This is not a complaint or a negative post.... just my recent experience with the order house that represents this boat.
I emailed one of the principles, asking about the bridge clearance. Never got back to me. This was a week ago. I asked that same question on this importer's web page, and got this for an answer ... "We're in the design and build stage right now and that information will be coming to us." (or something like that) Funny, how a lot of these importers are much like a L.L. Bean catalog outfit. Fancy name, made elsewhere, "more to come... stay tuned." I went this similar route with PAE - NORDHAVN. I emailed their customer service/sales... and was directed to my nearest NORDHAVN dealer. I've been that route with other fact finding ventures... "so, when do you expect to buy one of these, how much were you thinking of spending.... "

This is not a complaint or a negative post.... just my recent experience with the order house that represents this boat.
I emailed one of the principles, asking about the bridge clearance. Never got back to me. This was a week ago. I asked that same question on this importer's web page, and got this for an answer ... "We're in the design and build stage right now and that information will be coming to us." (or something like that) Funny, how a lot of these importers are much like a L.L. Bean catalog outfit. Fancy name, made elsewhere, "more to come... stay tuned." I went this similar route with PAE - NORDHAVN. I emailed their customer service/sales... and was directed to my nearest NORDHAVN dealer. I've been that route with other fact finding ventures... "so, when do you expect to buy one of these, how much were you thinking of spending.... "

Who did you email?

n March 13, I received this from Scott Helker.
We're just introducing this model -- the naval architecture is complete, we have a couple of deposits for boats, and we're ready to finalize the details with these customers so that we can start building. So, I can't answer your question with anything other than the dimensions taken from the drawings. About 14'-7" from the waterline to the top of the flybridge windscreen.
Dimensions from drawings is ok I guess, but until then, from drawings to in-the-water can leave a lot to be desired. But at least is was an answer. On the other hand, I was a little harsh on stating my experience here. Designing, rendering and putting something like this in the water deserves a lot of patience from people like me.

n March 13, I received this from Scott Helker.
We're just introducing this model -- the naval architecture is complete, we have a couple of deposits for boats, and we're ready to finalize the details with these customers so that we can start building. So, I can't answer your question with anything other than the dimensions taken from the drawings. About 14'-7" from the waterline to the top of the flybridge windscreen.
Dimensions from drawings is ok I guess, but until then, from drawings to in-the-water can leave a lot to be desired. But at least is was an answer. On the other hand, I was a little harsh on stating my experience here. Designing, rendering and putting something like this in the water deserves a lot of patience from people like me.

In all my dealings with the Helmsman team over the past year, they have been open, honest, transparent, humble, and very helpful, going above and beyond what is normally seen in a commercial transaction. This is the first boat I am having built, but I have built several homes, and this experience is better than the best of those experiences, and a couple of those were top notch. A close friend of over 35 years is having a 43 built. He states the same thing to me all the time.

It is a first class organization, and integrity and quality are extremely important to them. The 46 is a great looking boat. One day, I may move up to one. Hope it works out for you.

The Helmsman 46 is more boat than we would ever need but I’m still excited about it. Seeing the Helmsman experience open up to buyers needing more boat is an exciting next chapter. They will get the same hands on service we have been getting on our 38E. Launching a new model is a huge expense and not without some risk. Scott Helker’s honest response is what we have come to expect. The 46, like the other Helmsman trawlers, will get better with each iteration. We look forward to seeing our boat’s big sister. I hope that the 46 buyers will join us on TF.

It will be a treat when we get to see a 46 in the water.

To anticipate more, I noticed at the link section at the bottom of the web page a link to a 54. Nothing on the linked page beyond a "coming soon" message. That one would still be some time away.

It will be a treat when we get to see a 46 in the water.

To anticipate more, I noticed at the link section at the bottom of the web page a link to a 54. Nothing on the linked page beyond a "coming soon" message. That one would still be some time away.

At some size they have to have walk around decks I think. They could become the baby Fleming for those that don’t want the smallest Fleming, the 55 (which is actually measured conservatively). Helmsman must continue to drive towards the absolute highest quality. I think there is a receptive market.

Helmsman must continue to drive towards the absolute highest quality. I think there is a receptive market.

That's an aspect one cannot appreciate until one has been through the process. One of the aspects of the H38E that appealed to me is something I described to Scott as being "refined." It isn't a new design. But as it has progressed Helmsman has made continuous improvements. A number have been made since my interest became serious. Many have to do with changes in components, that are very often too subtle for the casual observer to notice. An example there is the windows. Sometimes it is things like the hot water heater, where today the spec is larger than what it once was. The list goes on and on. This isn't done to shave costs, but instead for improvements. Maybe a buck was saved here or there, but I've not seen that in any obvious way. And we have all seen boats where that's done for cost.

A series of changes were done in a lump, where the H38 became the H38E. A big part of that were from suggestions John made (N4061). Those were extensive and he could comment. The bow pulpit railings were changed, I think the camber of the pilothouse roof, some drainage runs off of the upper deck, etc.

I have every expectation the boats ordered after me will have elements better than mine. Just because that's the way Helmsman thinks about things.

The 43 also recently went through some major changes. Good became better, in my view.

I have built several homes in my life, and numerous buildings for my business. I am well aware that one can stare a blueprint until your eyes bleed and you still would not spot some details that won't become evident until you are standing in it, and still more until you live in it for a while. Helmsman continues to pick away at those. As I say, a refined product.

Last edited:
That's an aspect one cannot appreciate until one has been through the process. One of the aspects of the H38E that appealed to me is something I described to Scott as being "refined." It isn't a new design. But as it has progressed Helmsman has made continuous improvements. A number have been made since my interest became serious. Many have to do with changes in components, that are very often too subtle for the casual observer to notice. An example there is the windows. Sometimes it is things like the hot water heater, where today the spec is larger than what it once was. The list goes on and on. This isn't done to shave costs, but instead for improvements. Maybe a buck was saved here or there, but I've not seen that in any obvious way. And we have all seen boats where that's done for cost.

A series of changes were done in a lump, where the H38 became the H38E. A big part of that were from suggestions John made (N4061). Those were extensive and he could comment. The bow pulpit railings were changed, I think the camber of the pilothouse roof, some drainage runs off of the upper deck, etc.

I have every expectation the boats ordered after me will have elements better than mine. Just because that's the way Helmsman thinks about things.

The 43 also recently went through some major changes. Good became better, in my view.

I have built several homes in my life, and numerous buildings for my business. I am well aware that one can stare a blueprint until your eyes bleed and you still would not spot some details that become evident until you are standing in it, and still more until you live in it for a while. Helmsman continues to pick away at those. As I say, a refined product.

One of the best descriptions I have read of what sold me when I went to look at a Helmsman 38e and 43e. Also talked to a couple of experienced boaters who own older Helmsman and they were very positive about the boats and the management at Helmsman, also.

Reactions: FWT
I'll also share this, because I still chuckle about it. Its a very personal touch Scott humored me on.

For the short flight of stairs up from the salon to the pilothouse, there is a railing adjacent to the fridge that used to be anchored by an old fashioned turned newel post. That's a detail my wife noticed and flat loved on an older H38 we were aboard. When I say loved it, I mean she really loved that small detail. She felt it was "homey.". The newer H38's don't have that detail and modernized that spot a bit. I think Scott thought I was nuts when I said we wanted that old bit of style. But, that's indeed what will be done for us.

That has nothing to do with "quality". It is a very big deal for my wife's happiness, and Scott is taking care of it.

H46 - A Perspective

Having worked with Scott and Lisa on our H38E IMO they are honest, hard-working, dedicated team that cares about their customers and product. An example of their commitment was stated within this thread and focuses on how each boat is an evolution with improvements. Some may call it continuous improvement and it represents a desire to offer the buyer the best product possible. Even today the latest H38E includes many enhancements over our boat built back in 2017 (time fly's). It's exciting to see the H46 being added to the line of Helmsman Trawlers, and I look forward to seeing up close in the future. I remember Scott sharing some of the early designs with me and its large beam was something I took to immediately thinking about all the interior space this boat will offer.

Another example because I believe Scott & Lisa have been so successful is their ability to manage and build the company with a relatively small staff allowing them to maintain lower operating costs combined with the quality the yard provides equals "best value" for all buyers. So, if they should take a little while to respond to an email don't give up, send a follow-up email or better yet, call the office and someone will pick-up. I'm sure they receive dozens of emails every month from people "just fishing around" for boats and they need to remain focused on the business and true potential buyers. Anyone serious about a boat doesn't give up because an email was not answered, if they did, I would not have purchased four trawlers and a recent semi-custom sailboat.

Regarding the mention of yet a larger boat on the website, I'm also waiting for its unveiling and may take a look if this sailing advantage doesn't work out.

John

Handrail

I'll also share this, because I still chuckle about it. Its a very personal touch Scott humored me on.

For the short flight of stairs up from the salon to the pilothouse, there is a railing adjacent to the fridge that used to be anchored by an old fashioned turned newel post. That's a detail my wife noticed and flat loved on an older H38 we were aboard. When I say loved it, I mean she really loved that small detail. She felt it was "homey.". The newer H38's don't have that detail and modernized that spot a bit. I think Scott thought I was nuts when I said we wanted that old bit of style. But, that's indeed what will be done for us.

That has nothing to do with "quality". It is a very big deal for my wife's happiness, and Scott is taking care of it.

You can tell your wife the change in design was my doing and something my wife requested. Another great example on how accommodating Scott and Lisa can be.

John

Back
Top Bottom