Old 10-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Helmsman 43 - New Build

I started to talking to Scott about his boats awhile ago, including several owners on this Forum (John and Tom) who have the 38.

This boat checked many of the boxes my wife and I were looking for. I keep saying "this is our last boat", and hopefully it will be true this time.

A few details:
Cummins QSB, 380HP.
Seakeeper Gyro; I can write more about why we chose this later.
9KW Gen.
All white hull, with Navy blue boot stripe.

Recent picture from the yard.
Attached Thumbnails
43027_hull.jpg  
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Congratulations! We are very interested in Helmsman also, and look forward to future postings with your experiences. I am interested to hear about your selection process for the gyro, please.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Congratulations! Will be an interesting ride.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pembroke
Vessel Name: Emma B
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Congrats and welcome to the family!!
I flew in last summer before ordering my 31 to look at several models with my friend John. I ended up with the 31....John recently took delivery of a 43.
One thing stands out in my mind. The day we were looking at the different models, there was a recently arrived 38 getting its electronics installed. I regret not remembering the owners name, but he was kind enough to let us snoop about the boat. In chatting with him, he said “Scott will do what he says he will do”. That simple statement meant more to me than the joiner work or granite counter tops.
Almost a year has passed since I ordered mine. I can easily confirm that:
Scott is great to deal with, he truly “cares” and yes...he will do what he says he will do. You can trust him.
Enjoy the process
You’ll love your boat!
Congrats again.
Durant F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Salish Spirit
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
Looks great! We have a 38E build for May 1 in Seattle. More on this. Keep us posted!
flyer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are so many happy Helmsman purchasers here. It's great to see. Scott got my admiration in xxxputtingupwithxxx accommodating John and all his changes throughout the process. Then on top of that still ended up with a solid delivery without problems or excuses. I'm not in the market for one, but based on what I've seen here don't hesitate recommending Helmsman.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:56 AM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Fletcher
What were determining factors on engine HP?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Fletcher
What were determining factors on engine HP?
Sorry, just saw this tonight. I relied mostly on Scott for his input who has placed
Various sized engines in the 38 and 43 and sent me some fuel/speed/mpg curves for these boats. I knew I wanted a Cummins, and was originally thinking the 425 QSB. The boat was in process when I ordered it, and Cummins had a 380 or 480 in Asia ready to go, so I went with the 380. Looking at the data, it looked like a nice match. I will post some more photos soon.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
Guru

Interior pictures from Scott, from the yard. Port and Starb galley, and forward berth.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0409.jpg   IMG_0410.jpg   IMG_0411.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #10
Guru

Interior Photos

The boat is starting to come together! Congratulations and keep the photos coming.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
Guru

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
That 43 is going to be a great boat. Sort of wish we could move up! We have had our 38 for nearly 9 years. Scott was not the builder at the time, but now that he is the builder, he has helped us anytime we have needed something. Which isn't often I'm glad to say. This has been a trouble free boat. Keep the pictures coming.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Very nice !
Old 12-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #14
Guru

Aft hatch in the cabin for the Seakeeper is shown. The Gyro has not been installed yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Seakeeper.JPG   IMG_5673.jpg  
Old 12-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #15
Guru

Preliminary 1 line for the electronics - PDF Attached. I had Raymarine and then Simard on the last two boats. I think all of the manufacturers are putting out very solid and reliable products these days. I inherited the last two systems, but I knew our final retirement boat where I could choose the electronics would be Furono. All of the fishing boats I worked on as a kid in the 70-80's had Furono, and most still do. I also like the Doppler, and ARPA (not Marpa) on the Furono systems. Twisted Tree was apparently one of the first to document this in his blog which I read a couple years ago, and found the same problems with my system. Simrad has reportedly fixed this recently which is good to hear. Lastly, Furono have good technical support for legacy systems from what I understand from others who have called in for assistance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 43PH 1 Line Electronics Dgm Ver 1.1________12262017.pdf (616.9 KB, 125 views)
Old 12-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #16
Guru

Looks like a great suite of gear. I concur with your assessment of Furuno - it was always on the nicest yachts and best work boats. I "cold called" Furuno tech support about 10 days ago. Five minutes with a very pleasant man on the phone, and I had exactly what I needed. Excellent support.

Everyone IS making great gear it seems, but your odds with Furuno are among the best I feel. Great choice!

You may not need the exterior GPS antenna - saving another wire run, some holes, and another leak in 5 years. I think the display itself has a receiver now, or perhaps you can pull from the satellite compass.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #17
Guru

Revised, Ver 1.2 attached. Ver 1.1 previously posted had a couple errors so I wanted to put the correct drawing up so I don't lead others astray. I verified this is technically correct with Furono support today.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 43PH 1 Line Electronics Dgm Ver 1.2.pdf (653.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 12-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #18
Guru

I recommend Morad or Pacific Aerials antennas. Superior performance from each.

The Morad is a bit unconventional looking. Pacific Aerials offers some useful cabling options.

I have not been impressed with the brand beginning with S. I have no commercial affiliation with any of them - but I have used many of them all personally and professionally.

Good Luck
Old 12-28-2017, 05:32 AM   #19
Guru

City: Vermont
Is the Fusion radio really ethernet connected? I thought they were all NMEA 2000 connected.

Don't forget your VHF(s). They will need to get GPS info from somewhere, and ideally their DSC output should have a path to the plotters to mark distress calls. You can probably use the NEMA 0183 connection from the TZ, but then the TZ needs to be powered on to have GPS position on the VHF, and the VHF will alarm without it. And don't be tempted by the Icom M506's NMEA 2000 interface, especially if you want to have two VHFs. The N2K interface remains pretty broken and could cause odd behavior in your system. It's a great VHF, but stick to the 0183-only version, or better yet, get a Standard Horizon. And how will you provide VHF at both the lower and upper helms? Remote mics? One VHF at each location?

The whole question of what you want powered on when can be an interesting challenge too. I mentioned GPS for the VHF. If you are at anchor, you presumably still want your VHF working without alarms. What about an anchor alarm? That requires a GPS, and something to do the alarming, like one of the TZs. Or maybe that's a reason to include one of the FI-70 now if it supports and anchor alarm? I don't know if it does.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #20
Guru

I am placing the order today (Furono rebate ends 12-31) and have not decided on the aerial whips yet. I'll check out the brands you noted.

I have not spent any time on the Fusion, so it could be.

Good comments on the VHF's. I need to review that more as well.