Old 06-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #81
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by khomaizad View Post
Iím new to trawlers and this thread has been amazing, thank you. Iíve been a decent sailor and have been looking for my first trawler. This will be my first boat. Iíve looked at the N41 but I really like the H38E and the H43E, I have yet to board either and hope to be in contact with Scott soon. I need to get my wife to fall in love with one or the other. Do you guys have any concerns about 2nd engine or a wing engine. I hope to be on extended cruises, I am in Los Angeles and have some lofty dreams of heading Deep South and very far north. Thanks again!
You might want to check this current thread for a long and still ongoing conversation about that.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ins-64041.html

Lots of strong opinion, with both sides represented by experienced and knowledgeable cruisers. Pick your poison.

I have an H38 on order. I chose my side.
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:31 PM   #82

City: San Pedro
I am I correct that the Helmsman has only one engine on H38 and H43 with no wing engine?
khomaizad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:24 PM   #83
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
I am I correct that the Helmsman has only one engine on H38 and H43 with no wing engine?
Yes you are.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:45 PM   #84
FWT
Guru

It isn't as easy as saying "I want a get-home option." And the checkbook to buy it won't make it reliable.

https://www.passagemaker.com/technic...re-the-options

And by the way, the author of that posts here and maybe he might chip in.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:10 PM   #85
FWT
Guru

I don't represent Helmsman, and Scott at Helmsman can state the point better than I can. But there is an aspect to the boats I bought into. Maybe you will or maybe you won't agree, but I'll take a crack at describing it.

Simplicity, reliability, maintainable. Its a basic design philosophy.

The hull shape isn't as roll-y as some. Can roll be improved by stabilizers? Sure, some. At a cost, and a cost in space. But the hull form doesn't mandate the need the way some do. Personally, I wanted a hull form that didn't NEED stabilizers as a requirement.

Its a coastal cruiser, and not designed to cross oceans. Windows, exhaust systems, and so forth would need to be hardened to be rated for that. But as a coastal cruiser its built like a tank. Thick solid hull, well protected prop and rudder, and a lot of range for a coastal cruiser of this size. The mechanical gear is name brand stuff, they don't cheap out on that, and piece by piece its probably gear you would personally spec out if given the choice.

It has an honest engine room. Not a big enough boat to have a standup engine room, but as roomy as any for the size of the boat. You can get to and service what needs to be serviced.

So the package that begins with simplicity also begets an economical package, that if you do your part can be maintained to a level that begets reliability. Not redundency at high cost and associated need to maintain, and exercised regularly, that can fail by being ignored as the number of systems proliferate.

Pack spares, and with bilge spaces not clogged up with stabilizers and wing engines you have room to carry them.

Its a different way of looking at things. One can agree or disagree, and everyone can be right for their own needs. There is no one correct view.

Some might say Nordhavn, with redundant everything, and supremely hardened for the worst is the way to go, and others might say overkill. The answer is, whatever seems best for you, probably is.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:52 PM   #86
Guru

Well put FWT. I truly think it is use case. What do you want the boat to do? The 38 and 43 are coastal cruisers, and my opinion is that they will do that better than any other boat. Others will have other opinions. We can only go by what we know. Researched a lot. One of the nice things about retirement. Like it better than any other boat.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:07 PM   #87
FWT
Guru

Thanks. I agree.

You know, I'm a big believer that I can be wrong. You have to make decisions, but even once made I still study it. I have continued to window shop, and lets face it, if you like boats that's fun and no hardship. I have yet to see a boat I would rather have. That's a pretty happy state of affairs.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:26 PM   #88

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
I think they make a very nice boat. Looked at them and went back and forth with Helmsman and North Pacific. Both companies are very reputable. Ultimately went with NP 45 due to the saloon layout and I liked that everything was included to cruise, eg electronics, Genny, air etc. Understand that others may want less options and a different price point. I wanted everything. No issues with a single Cummins either. You have to go with what speaks to you. Enjoy!
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 08:02 AM   #89
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
I think they make a very nice boat. Looked at them and went back and forth with Helmsman and North Pacific. Both companies are very reputable. Ultimately went with NP 45 due to the saloon layout and I liked that everything was included to cruise, eg electronics, Genny, air etc. Understand that others may want less options and a different price point. I wanted everything. No issues with a single Cummins either. You have to go with what speaks to you. Enjoy!
What Jim said! Liked the idea of a complete (to me) boat ready to cruise. It was also very easy to make the minor changes we wanted.

Firmly believe you can't go wrong with either.

Rob
Old 06-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #90
FWT
Guru

NP45 is certainly a great boat. Pretty similar design of course.

Its also a lot more boat than a H38, and that creates more room for some layout aspects, for a lot more money.

Its also taller. Air draft is an issue for the Loop, but probably not a relevant concern in the PNW. The Loop isn't a priority for me, but I do want that option.

If I were in the market for that much boat, I'd certainly have it on my short list.

No doubt you guys like it, because its a great boat.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:46 AM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
NP45 is certainly a great boat. Pretty similar design of course.

Its also taller. Air draft is an issue for the Loop, but probably not a relevant concern in the PNW. The Loop isn't a priority for me, but I do want that option.

If I were in the market for that much boat, I'd certainly have it on my short list.

No doubt you guys like it, because its a great boat.
FWT,

The one fault we have is the air draft. The Loop is on our potential list. We will just have to take a different route if we get that far.

Rob
Old 06-18-2022, 10:30 AM   #92
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Well put FWT. I truly think it is use case. What do you want the boat to do? The 38 and 43 are coastal cruisers, and my opinion is that they will do that better than any other boat. Others will have other opinions. We can only go by what we know. Researched a lot. One of the nice things about retirement. Like it better than any other boat.
I appreciate your enthusiasm but this might be going too far! The coastal cruising I do has difficult stretches under certain weather conditions, and larger and heavier makes the ride more comfortable, and stabilizers are definitely appreciated! Maybe if oneís doing just the ICW it wouldnít be but coastal cruising is a broad definition.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 10:37 AM   #93
FWT
Guru

"but coastal cruising is a broad definition."

INDEED.

For brevity none of us fill our posts with disclaimers. Pacific coastal cruising seems quite different, not having done it.

In the east on the coast and river systems, draft and air draft are bigger concerns. In the west, not so much. And so forth. A host of different priorities.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:59 AM   #94

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
As we all know, lots of trade offs. Just installed fins on my trawler at the request of wife!
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:25 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
FWT,

The one fault we have is the air draft. The Loop is on our potential list. We will just have to take a different route if we get that far.

Rob
The ďimpassableĒ (lowest draft you canít bypass in some way) is on the Illinois River. One bridge is 19 feet. Sometimes a little lower, sometimes slightly higher.

The lowest overall on the loop is a 15 foot bridge on the western Erie Canal.

One pay site I would recommend would be the AGLCA (greatloop.org) for anyone considering the loop. It has a wealth of info for planning, etc., and a lot of experienced cruisers on it.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:32 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
I appreciate your enthusiasm but this might be going too far! The coastal cruising I do has difficult stretches under certain weather conditions, and larger and heavier makes the ride more comfortable, and stabilizers are definitely appreciated! Maybe if oneís doing just the ICW it wouldnít be but coastal cruising is a broad definition.
Yes, Bowball, coastal cruising is a broad definition. I guess I need to caveat the definition better, but for my use case on the east and gulf coast, and the occasional trip to the Bahamas, it will serve my purposes well. I looked at a number of like boats. This one came out on top for me.

Certainly a bigger heavier boat will do better, but the title of the thread is Helmsman 38E V. 43. Just trying to stay somewhat within that size parameter for the discussion.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:01 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post

One pay site I would recommend would be the AGLCA (greatloop.org) for anyone considering the loop. It has a wealth of info for planning, etc., and a lot of experienced cruisers on it.

Thank you, I'll take a look.

Rob
Old 06-19-2022, 09:56 PM   #98

City: San Pedro
I would love to know what you guys consider coastal cruiser, is 100 miles of shore still coastal? Coming from sailing I would trust so many of you that a single engine boat with no wing engine can still be a safe way to cruise. Of course we all make maintenance a priority, but I still have to wrap my head around this. I love the helmsman so far and hope to pull the trigger soon on a new boat.
khomaizad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:36 AM   #99
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
I would love to know what you guys consider coastal cruiser, is 100 miles of shore still coastal? Coming from sailing I would trust so many of you that a single engine boat with no wing engine can still be a safe way to cruise. Of course we all make maintenance a priority, but I still have to wrap my head around this. I love the helmsman so far and hope to pull the trigger soon on a new boat.

In some places a run 100 miles off shore would still be coastal. Generally if you're within a day's run of safe harbor, staying within reliable weather forecast range and within helicopter range, it would be considered coastal.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #100
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
There are people that cross oceans and travel extensively on singles. We are definitely not in that camp, and I do every thing I can to avoid weather. We are never more than 50 miles from shore. I have one trip in the bucket list that would require 100 miles offshore (Cortes Bank) and that would be the max I would personally be comfortable with.

You referenced the N41 with twins. I have not been to sea on one, but have spent time aboard at the dock. Very nice boats and typical N quality. If you prefer having twins and you are thinking new, they would probably be your best bet in the sub 50 ft class IMO.

Our previous two boats were twins. There are no guarantees in life, but I trust our H43 and its single engine much more than our past boats.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote