Old 11-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #21

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Yes, now 6.7L and recommendation is 380 HP.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have propane but with induction cooktops, grills and convection/microwaves, propane ovens are unneeded. My propane oven is for pan storage.

I like the safety and efficiency of the induction cooktops. Wish I had one, but I get along with an electric skillet instead.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #23

Thanks everyone, sounds like electric is better option.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Love the Cummins QSB. Quiet, fuel efficient, proven workhorse on land and in the water.

The yard we go to does a lot of military work, including the fast boats for the Special Ops, so there is a lot at stake if they have a mechanical issue. When the Navy re-powers these, they are using the QSB's.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #25

Not planning to Add Davit and dingy now, but wondered if I need to have rails modified to allow easy removal of dingy from flybridge? Probably would add Nick Jackson low profile and 10í dingy.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #26

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
Not planning to Add Davit and dingy now, but wondered if I need to have rails modified to allow easy removal of dingy from flybridge? Probably would add Nick Jackson low profile and 10’ dingy.
We too plan on not having a dinghy davit on day 1.

We did choose to have the factory install the Davit post now and just leave it capped off. This is a nominal cost and is the major part of the job.

When we are ready, its as simple as running a few battery cables, a remote battery switch,fuses, and plopping the davit crane on the post.

You will not need to modify any of the rails with the 650# Nick Jackson low profile.
AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #27

Thank you!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #28
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
Not planning to Add Davit and dingy now, but wondered if I need to have rails modified to allow easy removal of dingy from flybridge? Probably would add Nick Jackson low profile and 10í dingy.
Maybe you could have them installed as "staples" to make removal and replacement for launch and retrieval easier.

Rob
Old 01-09-2021, 02:55 PM   #29
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
I'll revive this thread because I too have some decisions to make. I have time before I am targeting pulling the trigger, but it can take time to mull things over. Having the time to do that is an advantage.

In my case, its east coast. Chesapeake home waters, but that may shift to some unknown parts south as MD seems intent on driving me away with taxes and the common blue state issues. Its home, but its a tough contest between the need to go vs the will to stay.

Either the 43 or 38 seem to work fine for The Loop. But that's not really a primary ambition. There are parts of that journey I'd love to do, and others where it would be just putting in the miles to get the pennant and bragging rights to say I did it.

Instead, I expect my focus to be Maine to Florida, possibly up into Canada, plus more likely the Caribbean. Which leads to my questions for updated information.

I can evaluate my own needs for cabin space vs cost and so forth.

The cost differential is now $150K. There's a strong push to the 38.

Along the ditch, less is more. The draft of the 43 is 4.5 and on the 38 its 4. The two foot-itis nibbles at draft as you nibble off more boat. Deeper sailboats do it, so its all do-able. But commentary on how much is too much would be welcomed.

Ditto on any commentary of length. LOA is 41 vs 45. How much practical difference does that make today with marina availability, etc?

I'll definitely have AC. And therefore a generator. So I'm leaning electric in the galley, having followed the arguments back and forth on that. The convincer is recent comments I have seen about reduced availability of propane in parts of the ICW, and some issues in the caribbean. Overblown? Maybe. Comments?

Where I really draw blanks is I have no experience in FL or the caribbean. What setup items are especially important to consider? And we are talking about some runs where running outside is either mandatory or desireable, often with some distances between the good inlets. These are not speedboats so solving distance with speed / fuel burn isn't an option.

These are intentionally pretty open questions so wandering off a bit would be just as welcomed. I took the time to lay out the cruising grounds so that focus could be considered.

One more thing: I hear comments the "back door" to the engine room via the day head in the 38 is used and liked, or rarely used at all. If you have it, do you use it? If you don't, do you miss it?

And one more last thing. Really. Stern thrusters. My impression is they are not necessary on the 38, and add more cost and servicing than value. Comments? And I don't recall any commentary on this for the 43, so input there would be great.

Thanks in advance for comments.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #30

When it comes to a 38E v. the 43E, you really need to get aboard both boats to truly experience the difference. It may seem like 2-ft-itis, but the difference is more than that.

I like the idea of the day head door into the engine space, but have been perfectly content with having to open the engine room hatch. It is easy to access, and we have cameras to keep an eye on things in-between.

The stern thrusters are now standard. They are worth every penny. Can you run the boat without it? Of-course, but they are wonderful if a gust of wind picks up or you are in tight quarters. I would not even consider a single engine boat without bow and stern thrusters in this day and age. The thrusters are easily accessible for any maintenance.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #31
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
When it comes to a 38E v. the 43E, you really need to get aboard both boats to truly experience the difference. It may seem like 2-ft-itis, but the difference is more than that.

I like the idea of the day head door into the engine space, but have been perfectly content with having to open the engine room hatch. It is easy to access, and we have cameras to keep an eye on things in-between.

The stern thrusters are now standard. They are worth every penny. Can you run the boat without it? Of-course, but they are wonderful if a gust of wind picks up or you are in tight quarters. I would not even consider a single engine boat without bow and stern thrusters in this day and age. The thrusters are easily accessible for any maintenance.
Many thanks.

The season was late and boats were being hauled, but I was able to get aboard a 38 on the hard. It was helpful in confirming what I thought I would like, and saw nothing new to push me away. Eyeballs on the hull was quite helpful, since I start there.

Scott will provide a credit back for stern thrusters if you don't want them. So its not like they are free. Thanks for your observation on that.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #32
FWT
Guru

AdmiralS:

I now see you are located up the Hudson. I presume you cruise into the Sound and points north. How much chain do you find to be "enough" for those waters? Is it safe to ask what kind of anchor without igniting an anchor war?
Old 01-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
AdmiralS:

I now see you are located up the Hudson. I presume you cruise into the Sound and points north. How much chain do you find to be "enough" for those waters? Is it safe to ask what kind of anchor without igniting an anchor war?
We do a lot of anchoring, be it rafted up with friends in Oyster bay, or the various anchorages up and down the river. We have 200' of chain and the standard claw anchor. We do use the mantus bridle with the anchor.

Have never had an issue with anchor dragging in various bottoms with lots of weight on the single anchor!

Old 01-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #34
FWT
Guru

Geez! Holding all of that is impressive
Old 01-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #35
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
In my case, its east coast. Chesapeake home waters, but that may shift to some unknown parts south as MD seems intent on driving me away with taxes and the common blue state issues. Its home, but its a tough contest between the need to go vs the will to stay .
If you want opinions and answers to your questions from current Helmsman owners, I would suggest you leave politics out of the equation, especially right now.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #36
FWT
Guru

Sorry. Call me naive but I didn't think folks here were THAT touchy. Innocent comment, but OK I get it. Point taken.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #37
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
As to the Caribbean question, for me some kind of stabilizer setup would be necessary. Iím sure it could be done without it, but I donít think it would be too fun.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #38
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
As to the Caribbean question, for me some kind of stabilizer setup would be necessary. Iím sure it could be done without it, but I donít think it would be too fun.
I am curious since I have not been there. Are you talking about the jump over, or while there?
Old 01-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #39
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
I am curious since I have not been there. Are you talking about the jump over, or while there?

I havenít been either, just heard that from folks here on the board who have made that claim. Hopefully some will chime in and set me straight if Iím wrong.

I installed some stability sails on my boat in anticipation of making it to the Caribbean one day, but I havenít made it past the Bahamas. My wife is not a big fan of open ocean or overnight cruising it turns out.

Hereís an old thread discussing this topic:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ers-18969.html
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #40
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I havenít been either, just heard that from folks here on the board who have made that claim. Hopefully some will chime in and set me straight if Iím wrong.

I installed some stability sails on my boat in anticipation of making it to the Caribbean one day, but I havenít made it past the Bahamas. My wife is not a big fan of open ocean or overnight cruising it turns out.

Hereís an old thread discussing this topic:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ers-18969.html
Thanks. That was very helpful