Helmsman 38 Hull Number 50 has a name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug_Snider

Vessel Name
Alba Bella
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38E
We have finally settled on a name for our new Helmsman 38E that begins construction in a few days. She will be “Alba Bella”. In Italian, my second language, it means “Beautiful Sunrise”, something we always enjoy out on the water. It has special meaning for my wife and me.

After I got out of the Navy, I lived in Alba, Italy as an apprentice architect. I have returned to Alba ten times and welcomed many of our Italian friends to our home. My Italian “brother” was Best Man at our wedding. There’s a street in Alba named after my father. They really are our family. Alba is our second home and we can’t wait to have our Italian friends aboard the boat named in their honor.

Alba is the home of the famous White Truffle of Alba and the birthplace of Nutella. Alba is world renowned for its wonderful wines and cuisine. Its history dates to pre-Roman times. It was at the center of the Italian Resistance movement during World War II. It is a very special place and our friends are very excited about the name we chose. One of them commented that when they are on our boat, they won’t be “abroad” but “aboard”. We also went with a blue hull that is emblematic of the Azzurri, Italy’s national soccer team.

The interior décor choices will follow the boat’s namesake. Our biggest challenge will be preparing meals that live up to Alba’s reputation.

Good one.

Boat naming is hard. You nailed it.

That is a cool story. It is a big beautiful world out there with great stories. Thanks for posting.

We have discussed names for ours several times with family and close friends. We may end up naming her Mishy Jean II. The first Mishy Jean was a Carver. The name is derived from my wife’s mother’s nickname Mish and my mom’s name Jean. My kids want that name as does my wife. I am good with it but want to think just a little more about it.

That is a cool story. It is a big beautiful world out there with great stories. Thanks for posting.

We have discussed names for ours several times with family and close friends. We may end up naming her Mishy Jean II. The first Mishy Jean was a Carver. The name is derived from my wife’s mother’s nickname Mish and my mom’s name Jean. My kids want that name as does my wife. I am good with it but want to think just a little more about it.

Fine name just might be a little hard to get the correct interpretation over the radio when hailing a boat/marina/bridge/etc. Otherwise sounds good!

Back
Top Bottom