Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Member
 
City: Port of Thunder Bay
Country: Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Helmsman 38 Cdn Price

I have been thinking about buying a Helmsman Trawler for a couple years. With the prices listed on the website, has any CDNs taken delivery in Canada and received a 30% discount since tariffs from China do not apply in Canada? Should I assume that I can subtract 30% from 485,000usd as my base price?
__________________
Advertisement

Nickcdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
AdmiralS's Avatar
 
City: Stony Point, NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 156
Call Helmsman and talk to Scott. That will be your best bet!
__________________

AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
Member
 
City: Port of Thunder Bay
Country: Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
I sort of wanted to know others experience first. Curious if they can deliver to Canada instead of going through the USA.
Nickcdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,429
They may be able to and it would certainly be worth a phone call. Iíll bet they would do their best to work with you.

Iíd also suggest you take a look at the North Pacific offerings as well. See if the NP layouts suit your needs. North Pacific Yachts is a Canadian company so there would be no question of delivering to Canada.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
Member
 
City: Port of Thunder Bay
Country: Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
They may be able to and it would certainly be worth a phone call. Iíll bet they would do their best to work with you.

Iíd also suggest you take a look at the North Pacific offerings as well. See if the NP layouts suit your needs. North Pacific Yachts is a Canadian company so there would be no question of delivering to Canada.
Thanks for the info on North Pacific Yachts. They look really nice as well. I will compare the two boats at the Seattle trawler boat show hopefully.
Nickcdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickcdn View Post
Thanks for the info on North Pacific Yachts. They look really nice as well. I will compare the two boats at the Seattle trawler boat show hopefully.

Not sure which show you are thinking of. You can always send Trevor Brice of North Pacific Yachts an email and find out where you might conveniently have a chance to look at one of their boats. NP has pilothouse versions in 39, 45, and 49í models and sedans in the 38 or 44í length.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #7
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,404
North Pacific 38 sedan up for grabs below the 49th on the continents sunset edge: 2012 North Pacific 38 Sedan New Listing used boat for sale - boatersresources.com
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Guru
 
DavidM's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickcdn View Post
I have been thinking about buying a Helmsman Trawler for a couple years. With the prices listed on the website, has any CDNs taken delivery in Canada and received a 30% discount since tariffs from China do not apply in Canada? Should I assume that I can subtract 30% from 485,000usd as my base price?
30% off of list price!!! Gotta be kidding. This is how the tariff works out, all figures are SWAGs:

The duty is applied only to China content: labor, Chinese made materials- glass, resin, wood, etc. All other items- US sales commission, engineering, overhead, profit, non Chinese made parts like the engine, some hardware, are not dutiable.

I am guessing the Chinese content is roughly $150,000. So at worst case there is $45,000 in duty, but probably less.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mikala's Avatar
 
City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 207
Helmsman 38 Cdn Price

Did the price go up 30% when the tariff was put in place? Doubtful.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Member
 
City: Port of Thunder Bay
Country: Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
30% off of list price!!! Gotta be kidding. This is how the tariff works out, all figures are SWAGs:

The duty is applied only to China content: labor, Chinese made materials- glass, resin, wood, etc. All other items- US sales commission, engineering, overhead, profit, non Chinese made parts like the engine, some hardware, are not dutiable.

I am guessing the Chinese content is roughly $150,000. So at worst case there is $45,000 in duty, but probably less.

David
Actually, the Cummins engine is also made in China. I would bet a good portion of the electronics that are shipped from the US to China for assembly, were initially made in China.

Just to clarify as I work in this field of international trade, there is a tariff on the entire value of the manufactured yacht. The only items that are exempt would be trans shipped items, but once in a manufactured good, the full tariff applies to the value of that manufactured good.

For example, I am aware of a situation where a Chinese business sold aluminium pallets which were not subject to the aluminium tariffs and countervailing duties (which if I remember were around 50%) which were then melted down into aluminium sheets once in the USA. Smart idea, but smarter US customs figured out the shtick.
Nickcdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #11
Member
 
City: Port of Thunder Bay
Country: Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
Did the price go up 30% when the tariff was put in place? Doubtful.
Actually, they have gone up drastically in the past two years.
Nickcdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 810
Inport Duties

I'm no expert on the topic but between what the company I work for and boat building in general I believe the following is accurate.

Most companies including Helmsman use different price lists for boats "not" imported into the US.

Canada has it own import duties.

Helmsman recently sold a new 38E using a western Canada representative to a Canadian buyer

Even with the recent new import duties Helmsman trawlers still offer the best value over anything else I could find in this size and class of trawler.

I'm not looking for a debate just sharing what I understand.

John T
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #13
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 6,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
North Pacific 38 sedan up for grabs below the 49th on the continents sunset edge: 2012 North Pacific 38 Sedan New Listing used boat for sale - boatersresources.com
Very nice looking boat. Only thing I donít like is the ladder to the flybridge and built in furniture. But it looks to be in excellent condition.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:42 PM   #14
Member
 
City: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Helmsman Trawlers Importation

HiNickcdn. I'm new to the forum so forgive me for any blunders here. Although Canadian Duties are 9.5% on Chinese product with the US getting hit with 27%, there is a level of claw back that US Legislation allows for American content, such as engines, electronics, pumps, etc, that our government does not recognize. The short answer is yes, Helmsman Trawlers can be purchased by Canadians for less money, but not the full 27%. Hope that this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickcdn View Post
I have been thinking about buying a Helmsman Trawler for a couple years. With the prices listed on the website, has any CDNs taken delivery in Canada and received a 30% discount since tariffs from China do not apply in Canada? Should I assume that I can subtract 30% from 485,000usd as my base price?
__________________

Calibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×