Helmsman 31 with John Deere 125hp arrived

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DF, welcome to the forum. Will you eventually be bringing her to Ontario? We also lived in Pembroke and Cobden. Three of our four kids were born in Pembroke. Great people, great place. Enjoy the new boat, looks very nice.

Would be great on the canals....but nope. She's a west coast boat. I just love the scenery and wildlife up the coast here. Further N....better it gets.
Enjoy your boat...I remember checking them out at the boat show in T O many years ago. Great vessel!

Having spent some good times in a Camano Troll. You don't need 200+ hp! You probably don't need 125 hp either but it isn't excessive. They are a nice slow speed boat at 6.5 to 7.5 knots but many choose 8 to 10. Truth be known, 6 to 6.5 is pretty ideal, quiet, gentle, scenic, relaxing, leaves plenty of time for chart work and location research. Oh, and it is fuel sipping for long range cruising.
The changes from the Troll to this new boat look pretty nice. Yes! Keep us posted with that new engine in this application.

Photo of "Emma B"

Welcome Durant- I'd consider the Helmsman and the older Camano as being a #10 in a 'I'd like another boat' adventure. I agree witht the comment that they are a nice cruise boat at the 7-10 (I'd choose 9 knot as a max) knot speed.
While they will perform at a higher setting, things do become a bit busy with a short hull.
Currently one here in the Air Marine Yard, It appears it has visited a bit of our undersea pinnacles or such, Three out of four blades bent forward and an nasty bunch of 'scratches' on the keel area.
Echo the comment on the occasional argumentative contributions, yet even those posters often offer sound advise and winning conversations. Lots of good stuff added everyday.
What is fun Durant, is meeting trawler forum members during a cruise of as they visit your home port.
Al-Ketchikan

OK...
Here goes a very "undefinative" report on RPM/Speed/Fuel Burn/Range
I say undefinative as there are constant tides out here and although I'm sure I could find a calm spot and await slack... I'm cruising ��
So....this is more of a "see how much speed costs" report.
Very unscientific, I took pictures of my dash at each RPM coming out of Everett but stopped before 100% load with traffic. Figured it didn't matter much as both noise and fuel burn were getting excessive.
As noted...both your results and my next results will vary ��
BTW, top speed at WOT was 9.2 knots

Attachments

• IMG_2103.jpg
    IMG_2103.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
OK...
I say undefinative as there are constant tides out here and although I'm sure I could find a calm spot and await slack... I'm cruising ��
Very unscientific, I took pictures of my dash at each RPM coming out of Everett but stopped before 100% load with traffic. Figured it didn't matter much as both noise and fuel burn were getting excessive.

Love the results Durant-:flowers: So very close to our own. We have a 85 hp Perkins which with a smaller volume fuel delivery pump, is more like 60 hp (Guesstimate) Our RPM/speed result range is very similar. I have a free or really inexpensive app on my iPhone called logSPL. It is a decibel measuring instrument. We measure 71 decibel in the salon over the engine space at 1450-1500 RPM and run a 6.3-6.7 knot average.Fuel burn is near 1.5gph Bumping the RPM up to 1600-1650(Max on our part) we run in the 7-7.2 knot range and our fuel burn is 1.8 our decibels move to 72 so we are still quite and can carry on a normal conversation.
We are definitely over wheeled however we do not exceed the sweet spot of 1500-1650 RPM. So we be happy:)
Thanks for posting the data.

Al-Ketchikan

OK...

I have done similar at different times. Record rpm, gph, and SOG at 1300 to 2000 in 100rpm steps. I get a large variation in SOG but am very consistent with gph. However, with the new engine I am starting over again. I try to do it when there is little apparent current, but around here there is almost always .5 to 1.0 knots of current at the very least. After I have about 10 readings, I just average them and use that figure.

With my new engine, it looks like the sweet spot will be about 1450 rpm.

Thought I would post this pic to show how "clean" and accessible the engine room is. With the table removed, the entire salon floor is removable as well as the floor between the 2 forward facing seats. No need to get claustrophobic.
Well lit too. Normal checks are done from the opening between the forward seats.
I should ad that this is a very easy boat to dock (excluding strong wind or current) I'm single handing and it's a treat except for conditions mentioned.
Presently 6 nights out....Emma B and I are bonding :)

Attachments

• IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Good luck & happy motoring. Keep us updated.

OK...

Are your speeds knots or mph? I ask since you don't indicate and you speak of knots but then show MPG and not NMPG.

OK...

Your 1.8 GPH at seven knots is the same as my Camano with the Volvo engine. I don't have test instruments but that's figured on over a thousand hours of actual cruising. For me, 2K RPM equals seven knots and that's what we cruise at.

One thing I noticed from the engine room pic- no exhaust riser which results in a low water line to bottom of exhaust turbo distance (spill over height). It is recommended to be at least 12".

David

I think ... no I'm sure you're going to love your new boat. I wanted one a long time ago. Bought a FD Willard instead.

2500rpm isn't special. Most trawler engines develop their hp at that engine speed. Somebody mentioned 2500rpm "max". Actually it would be better if it got 50-100 rpm more. And 2500rpm isn't really max. It's just where the engine develops it's max power. In some other uses the JD4045 may be set up for another engine speed for a different application. Like the 4-107 Perkins that was 50hp at 4000rpm as a British taxi cab engine and 3000rpm as a boat engine. The 2500rpm re the JD4045 is a point on a curve similar to a bell curve but shaped a bit different. 2500rpm is a point on top of this curve. See JD for details about propping if need be. The engine manufacturer has the real facts in this matter. All other sources are alternative facts.

David...
Here is your 12 inchs...actually more like 15

Eric..agreed.
I'm a retired construction worker
Have owned and ran Kubota tractors, John Deere loaders and bulldozer, Kumatsu bulldozer and Cat skid Steers and excavator.
I did not want a high reving Yanmar or Volvo etc.
Beta (Kubota) also had engines that interested me
In the end...happy with the JD

Attachments

• IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Figure I'd best post another picture before being chastised for both the quality and location of my life jackets... ?

The good ones are right at the back door with super easy access on the way out or down from above if needed

Attachments

• IMG_2198.JPG
    IMG_2198.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 57
PS:Eric...I truly love those Willards!! Several different models on the same hull.
Great, sea worthy and frugal boats!! Rugged good looks too.

Back
Top Bottom