Old 04-29-2019, 01:28 PM   #61
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
John, what fridges do you have now that you prefer?
Nova Cool is on the boat today and except for defrosting them we have no complaints.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #62
Guru

Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cooper View Post
John - getting back to your "get home" research/decision, I am not all that familiar with the specific subject of Parallel Hybrids (like the HybridMaster available from Mastervolt), but would that be a viable option? The more sophisticated units claim to be able to regenerate their own power to run continuously (or add solar/wind generator to the mix).
We are leaning towards twins at this time to provide enough power in case we should be down one engine. Now working on what size engines. We have a little more time now that we missed this years CUBAR run to Cabo. This run occurs every two years. Fun stuff.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #63
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
As we left for the evening Mary turned and looked back at the boat and said "you have this boat just as you wanted and its perfect for us, do you really want to start all over?".
My thoughts exactly! I've been on your 38 and inspected it with a serious eye and have concluded that I would have no reservations of taking it to Cabo.

Best of luck to you, Mary & Sailor on your next endeavor.

Walt
Old 05-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #64

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
We are leaning towards twins at this time to provide enough power in case we should be down one engine. Now working on what size engines. We have a little more time now that we missed this years CUBAR run to Cabo. This run occurs every two years. Fun stuff.
Curious. All this thought into a backup, get home source of power. But what happens when you wrap up your prop/shaft with heavy line from a lobster trap or something similar in a remote location ?
This happened to my friend on his journey down south. A backup source of power wouldn't have helped would it?
He had to actually jump in the water and cut the line.
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:49 PM   #65
Guru

breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
Curious. All this thought into a backup, get home source of power. But what happens when you wrap up your prop/shaft with heavy line from a lobster trap or something similar in a remote location ?
This happened to my friend on his journey down south. A backup source of power wouldn't have helped would it?
He had to actually jump in the water and cut the line.
Nothing is fool proof and I already have the knife��. Now, am I willing to dive under the boat in rough seas and likely drown? I don't think so, thus the radios and a some praying. Another reason to buddy boat on the way down and take advantage of the CUBAR. Funny how things that weren't a big deal when a teenager become concerns as you get up in the years.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #66
Veteran Member

City: Squam Lake
Vessel Model: Rossiter Coastal Cruiser
Just a quick note of thanks. I've been reading this thread and the ones about previous builds. They are incredibly helpful and informative for a newb like me!
GraniteStater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #67
Guru

Update

We haven't reported very much lately as we wait for our boat to find a its next home and complete another transaction prior to starting the new build. This doesn't mean we haven't been talking with Scott and others about the project. I have been actively following an acquaintance who spent 10 years cruising the world in their Nordhavn and now downsizing to travel the ICW and who knows what after that. I'm comparing his selection process of type of boat, options, gear and systems somewhat in the reverse order we are planning for our next boat. I'm learning a few things along way which I hope makes our next boat the perfect balance of capability, safety and somewhat simple to own and operate.

Since we missed the 2019 Cabo run we are not in any rush to complete the new boat since it will be sitting in Ensenada, Mexico (70 miles south of SD) as soon as we take delivery until we head south unless we take delivery in Seattle and leave it with Scott for awhile. Mary and I have been talking about this so we can run the Inside Passage (bucket list) before running south. Time will tell and as of today we have our health so the dream and plans remain in full gear.

Who knows maybe we will organize a Helmsman Trawler Cabo Run (Bill F. are you reading this)?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:13 PM   #68
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
So what is the latest on the new build?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #69
Guru

update

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
So what is the latest on the new build?
Unfortunately not much to report as we wait for a lucky buyer to take ownership of our H38E. Our boating budget doesn't allow for us to start building a new boat until our H38 sells. In the mean time we are enjoying the summer and the boat. Everytime we go out we end up discussing lifes time line, plan A and B and when we run short of time to execute each one. We still have time for plan B (new boat and Cabo) but watching the calendar. In the mean time we continue the search for the best margarita and newest music. Life is still good no matter what boat you own.