Old 07-14-2021, 08:46 PM   #1

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Getting off dock against the wind in a Camano

To all Camano owners: what is your preferred method to getting off a dock with the wind blowing you against the dock? Seems the bow thruster is only good up to maybe 10 knots of wind or so. When wind is blowing more than this the only way I can get off the dock in linear moorage is pivoting with a spring line off the bow to the dock so the stern kicks into the wind, then back out.
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Yup, that is how to do it. Or get a bigger thruster.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
With the proper use of spring lines, you will look like a professional.
You can get off the dock, on and off the dock between 2 other boats. Just takes time and practice.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
If it is blowing 20 knots up against the dock, God is telling you to stay put for the day. (I understand this doesn't go over well if you are at a fuel dock).
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
If it is blowing 20 knots up against the dock, God is telling you to stay put for the day. (I understand this doesn't go over well if you are at a fuel dock).
God and my wife saying stay put!
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A 24-volt thruster with a fender at the stern quarter could help.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:14 PM   #7
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I didn’t have a thruster so I did what you did. Spring line from the bow, engine in forward, turn toward the dock and the stern swings out.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Just don't take out your pulpit, caprail and railings.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 05:50 AM   #9
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
With the proper use of spring lines, you will look like a professional.
You can get off the dock, on and off the dock between 2 other boats. Just takes time and practice.
I agree with OldDan, you'll look like a real seaman rather than a just another pleasure boater. Plus it's a good skill to learn.
Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #10

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Good seamanship - nicely done. Same applies to waiting out the wind if it's really nasty.
And with wave and whirlwind wrestle. (Longfellow)
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:25 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
This is not unique to Camano.
Has anyone tried a spring line off the aft cleat?
Recently watched & heard the sailboat instructor tell a student how to leave the dock in windy conditions, Practiced in no wind to see effect.
Stern line to dock and cleated on boat for later retrieval. applying enough reverse the bow swung away, put into forward and away they went.
I will try next time needed as there is no need to get the pointy end pointed where you want to go with a wind trying to get you back to the dock.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Recently watched & heard the sailboat instructor tell a student how to leave the dock in windy conditions, Practiced in no wind to see effect.
Stern line to dock and cleated on boat for later retrieval. applying enough reverse the bow swung away, put into forward and away they went.
I will try next time needed as there is no need to get the pointy end pointed where you want to go with a wind trying to get you back to the dock.
This technique tends to work better on sailboats than powerboats for a couple of reasons. Most sailboats (to a lesser extend on some really modern designs) are significantly wider amid ship than the stern so the bow is pointing away from the dock even when the midship and stern are close to the dock. The second reason is that most sailboats have greater lateral resistance and relatively less windage than power boats, so even a low speed, they are will track straighter in a cross wind. The technique will still work on a trawler but generally, not as well.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:54 AM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
This technique tends to work better on sailboats than powerboats for a couple of reasons. Most sailboats (to a lesser extend on some really modern designs) are significantly wider amid ship than the stern so the bow is pointing away from the dock even when the midship and stern are close to the dock. The second reason is that most sailboats have greater lateral resistance and relatively less windage than power boats, so even a low speed, they are will track straighter in a cross wind. The technique will still work on a trawler but generally, not as well.

Exactly. I used to do that all the times with my sailboats. Wonít work with the square stern of my power boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #14
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post

If itís windy, I donít like this technique. Because the stern is often square, you typically only get the bow out far enough to look as though you will clear, but nothing close to 90 degrees, or you wind up pivoting on your swimstep and not able to put as much power on it as needed. Plus, if the wind is blowing at all parallel to the dock for every foot you go out from the dock when power is applied, you might go three foot sideways. The skipper gets nervous and turns the rudder and quickly gets into trouble, either from the stern turning too quickly or the bow falling off.

If you go stern out, you can use a spring to hold it in place until fully pivoted out, or just use the engines to correct as you go.

If itís not windy, yeah Iíve used this many times.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
Guru

My boat came with a danforth anchor which protruded from the bow on a roller, there is no anchor platform (yet) that it hid under. It had been a concern of mine that I might inadvertently hook the stock of the anchor on a piling when pivoting off a dock before backing away, it never happened but I've replaced the anchor with a stockless design that solves this. A cheaper solution would have been to stow the anchor when not in use but I guess I had anchor inadequacy syndrome.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #16
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Yup, have only done the stern out, just checking, no longer an option for power.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #17
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If the pinning wind is forward of the beam...it can be a toss up.

Many boats are different, many docks are different, the environmentals can be different..... only trying and going slow the first couple attempts will tell you...and yes...when not working...back of and try something else.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:45 PM   #18

City: Kasilof Alaska
I use a larger orange buoy between the boat and dock a few feet ahead of the stern. You can pivot off it in a bunch of wind in reverse and then drive out.
DNT99611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:28 PM   #19

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Maybe one day I will try the reverse pivot, but in a Camano I'm not sure it's really possible, especially if you have a dinghy on the swim step and the square nature of the stern on power boats as noted by others. I foresee either the swim step or the dinghy hitting the dock (yes you can fender, but awkward) before you get enough of the bow out to be ready to depart.
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:01 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Yes, I agree. With a trawler style hull shape, a large fender between the bow and the dock, and a line from close to the helm position to a cleat on the dock, about level with or a bit aft of that, is the way to go.

You need to be able to pull that line back through the dock cleat and quickly retrieve, once the slow forward power, with the rudder hard to the dock side, has swung the stern out enough to then engage reverse, retrieve that line and back away. It is certainly the most anxiety-free way to get off the dock in any tricky situation.