First time Camano owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kief

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
Camano Troll - 31'
After 2 plus years of listening, reading, taking notes, and whittling the list down, my wife and I closed on a 2002 Camano Troll last Friday. A fellow TF member in the Galveston Bay area was moving up in size and had seen my "boat wanted" post and reached out privately. I was fortunate as the boat has been well maintained. Standard Camano setup: 200hp TAMD41 (please let me enjoy my boat for a day or two before the anti-volvo crowd chimes in, :)), Entech 4200 generator, and 4 year old Raymarine electronics (radar, eS78 plotters, autopilot) along with a new AIS and 2 new Icoms. My head is swimming going through all the owners manuals, but as I'm now retired I've got nothing but time!

The boat's being trucked to Jacksonville, and I will be leaving Jax probably on Friday heading up to Deale, MD. I found another fellow TF member who not only delivers but, crazily enough, enjoys training. Since I'm moving up from smaller, inland lakes, I think a week or so with the trainer is money well spent.

I'm hoping to post a note every day or two as we come north for those who may be interested and I'm sure I'll have several questions along the way. Too that end, I would like to preface my trip by saying I am extremely grateful for all those who give of their time and expertise to help us newer folks. This is an incredible resource and despite not even physically having my boat for two more days I have benefited a ton already.

And if anyone reads this and realizes they're a day or two ahead of us I would be grateful for any reports on ICW conditions. Thanks.

Peter

Attachments

• camano31-side.jpg
    camano31-side.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 42
From a Dream to a Reality :thumb:

Sounds like you've got your head screwed on straight...no starry eyed unprepared dreamer here and you have a very capable boat!

Have a great trip, and one day you'll look back with fondness at those manuals you poured over but haven't looked at in years.

Congrats on your new boat. We will need photos of the boat and the trip, please.

Congrat

Congrats on the new boat.
We own Hull 248 know for three years and love her.
Volvo, I love Volvo.
I must own one of few Camano 31's that has a Yanmar.

Enjoy you Trip
DeTour
Camano 31 Hull 248
Toronto/Ontario

Supposed to be a bit "blowy" here in JAX on Sat, gusts to 30kn. We were supposed to leave then. Still early to be accurate, but keep an eye out....

-----------
THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY
East southeast winds 10 to 15 knots.
Seas 3 to 4 feet. A light chop on the intracoastal waters.

FRIDAY NIGHT
Southeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 4 feet.

SATURDAY
South winds increasing to 15 to 20 knots. Seas
building to 4 to 6 feet. Chance of showers and a slight chance
of thunderstorms.

SATURDAY NIGHT
Southwest winds around 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6
feet. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms.

SUNDAY
Northwest winds around 15 knots, becoming north in the
afternoon. Seas 3 to 4 feet.

------------

Congratulations and have a great trip up the intercoastal.

Dave

Good work... The Troll is a great boat. We have about three on our dock in Seattle. I am biased towards these PNW style boats. Just closed on a Nordic 32 myself. So... different coast, different boat. Similar adventure. I will be following your journey with interest!!

Congratulations on the new boat!

I have always been a fan of the Camano Troll/Gnome as it offers a lot of boat in a small package.

Having a week of training and travel on the ICW seems like a great way to learn to handle your new boat.

I'm looking forward to seeing your travel posts as you bring your new boat home! :thumb:

Jim

You may want to check out the Youtube channel "Zoffinger". He is documenting his trip up the ICW and is probably only few days ahead of you.

So the boat's in the water, a day late but in. (Although when I heard the truck driver got stuck going over the "hump" of a train track I wasn't sure it was going to happen!) Anyway, I spent Friday pm bolting the radome back on the radar mast (reminded that designers have never actually installed their equipment) and securing the mast. Also the bimini went up. Those things are intended to drive you nuts, not shield the sun. And then the inevitable run to Publix, West, and the hardware store.

It's prefect in Jax this morning; calm and low 60s. We're heading out in a few minutes with the goal of just getting up to Fernandina before the wx gets bad. These first few days we're taking it a bit conservative. More to come.

A huge thanks to the folks at Lamb's marina in Jax. They have treated me like family in my very short stay.

Peter

Attachments

• lambs-apr 23.jpg
    lambs-apr 23.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 29
Been slack with the updates, but it's been full days and a lot of new experiences that have flat worn me out by the end of the day. Saturday we left Jax and only made it to Amelia Island Marina south of Fernandina. Luckily we pulled in just as the sky opened up but the trip up was a great learning experience. The last hour was 15-20 kts and 2-3' chop. Nothing dangerous but having that chance to see what it's like in those conditions is, as I say, worth it. And the boat tossed it off like child's play. Sunday was clear and calm but offered the chance to see what it's like to cross rivers that are inlets off the ocean. The change in wind and current as we crossed was a real eye opener. So much better than a simple discussion. Sunday night we anchored out about 10 nm ne of Brunswick. Monday night we were in Thunderbolt, GA and dinnered at Tubby's Tank House. Highly recommend! Tuesday we anchored again on the Dawhoo River in SC and Wednesday was Isle of Palms. Figured out real quick that if I run 8 or 9 hrs on one tank the list is a tad bit uncomfortable. So today, Thursday, we left with full tanks and half way to Wacca Wache (that's a real place!) I switched from port to stbd and the boat's resting nicely at the dock. If I got the pics correct, the first is Elliot's Cut going into Charleston, SC; and the second should be the Waccaamaw River, just west of Murrells Inlet, SC. The change from sand and palm trees in Isle of Palms to real forest in the span of 60 miles was really something to see. Thanks for reading and more to come.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_20210428_103635590.jpg
    IMG_20210428_103635590.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210429_151559112.jpg
    IMG_20210429_151559112.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 18
I went over to Fort Walton to visit with your previous owners the other day as they prepare for their run back to their homeport with their new-to-them vessel. What a fine couple of people they are. We had a nice time going over the boat looking for things to double check before they shove off. You were quite fortunate in your "PO" as we call our previous owners.

Why are you running on just one fuel tank and then the other? I run on both tanks at the same time. The fuel will seek its own level just as the water does in the water tanks.

BTW: We're leaving Charleston Saturday morning , heading north so we will be a couple days behind you. If you stop somewhere, we may catch up to you.

Really like the 31 Camano, looked at one in NC before buying the Fairchild Scout. Just came across the one a few weeks back. Love the windows on both the 31 and this large one, looks like great visibility. Had no idea they even made a 41, and not inexpensive.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2006/camano-41-3795071/

New Camano

After 2 plus years of listening, reading, taking notes, and whittling the list down, my wife and I closed on a 2002 Camano Troll last Friday. A fellow TF member in the Galveston Bay area was moving up in size and had seen my "boat wanted" post and reached out privately. I was fortunate as the boat has been well maintained. Standard Camano setup: 200hp TAMD41 (please let me enjoy my boat for a day or two before the anti-volvo crowd chimes in, :)), Entech 4200 generator, and 4 year old Raymarine electronics (radar, eS78 plotters, autopilot) along with a new AIS and 2 new Icoms. My head is swimming going through all the owners manuals, but as I'm now retired I've got nothing but time!

The boat's being trucked to Jacksonville, and I will be leaving Jax probably on Friday heading up to Deale, MD. I found another fellow TF member who not only delivers but, crazily enough, enjoys training. Since I'm moving up from smaller, inland lakes, I think a week or so with the trainer is money well spent.

I'm hoping to post a note every day or two as we come north for those who may be interested and I'm sure I'll have several questions along the way. Too that end, I would like to preface my trip by saying I am extremely grateful for all those who give of their time and expertise to help us newer folks. This is an incredible resource and despite not even physically having my boat for two more days I have benefited a ton already.

And if anyone reads this and realizes they're a day or two ahead of us I would be grateful for any reports on ICW conditions. Thanks.

Peter

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the boat after using her awhile. Our GB 36 Cl is becoming a bit too much for us and I'm thinking of downsizing to a Camano. Congratulations and Good Luck on your trip!

Gb 36

Curious, what is too much on the GB 36 and what are you hoping for on the Camano 31
We own a 31 and have had a lot of experience with the GB36(parents owned one)
so know them both very well.

Camano

Curious, what is too much on the GB 36 and what are you hoping for on the Camano 31
We own a 31 and have had a lot of experience with the GB36(parents owned one)
so know them both very well.

Getting older and have some physical issues. The Camano would allow us to continue to use a trawler as we currently do but would be easier to handle when docking. It would also be cheaper to own and operate.

gb36

Well certainly less to maintain on a Camano 31. More stainless and a lot less teak and wood work.
Similar capital outlay. More modern systems
As for docking and maneuvering. Camano a lighter boat for sure. If you don't have a bow thruster then you will love it.
Steps up to the fly bridge may be a mobility issue. Getting on and off the boat a pleasure off the aft swim deck.
Systems and mechanical all extremely accessible on Camano, albeit good on GB too.
Camano extremely well build boat as you are used to.

Congratulations!

And, thanks for posting notes on your trip! My PO was kind enough to join me for the first 4 days of my delivery from Rhode Island to NC, and at Cape May his wife drove down to pick him up, a work friend who lives on a Chesapeake area river came aboard for the rest of the way. Ideal arrangement. At Cape May we had a great dinner together, the PO and his wonderful wife, my new crew and me - great stories of the PO's many voyages, New England waters and my ne crew's experience on the Chesapeake. Like you, I was luck to have a great PO and delivery cruise experience.

I love the Volvo. I find using Valve-Tect fuel helps it run smoother. I concur with the TF member about running both tanks at the same time. I do adjust the return line valves to balance the fuel - one return line seems to load it's tank faster than the other one - something to look more carefully, although my mechanic says it's no big deal.

I've had my Camano almost 4 years and am still learning, still completely happy with it. Just right for our NC Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds and numerous tributaries... a lot more exploring to do in the years ahead. You're probably already past North Carolina, but if not, be sure to catch a meal at Spoon River in Belhaven, easy walk from River Forest Marina (which has Valve-Tect fuel), or borrow one of Henry's golf carts. Coinjock Marine's food has a great reputation, too. Top Rack Marina north of Great Bridge lock in VA has a nice restaurant, and my favorite crab cakes are at Point Lookout Marina's Sunset Restaurant - Chef Andy, north side of the mouth of the Potomac.

Enjoy your trip, and please keep us informed about your destinations and how you find your Camano working out for you. We love pictures, too, inside and out!

Alex

Back
Top Bottom