Old 11-24-2021, 11:04 PM   #1

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Dripless shaft seal?

Is there a recommended interval to change the shaft seal? 2003 Camano, 1600 hours. Volvo manual says "replace propeller shaft seal" at 500 hours. I don't believe ours has ever been done, but not sure it needs to be done every 500 hours (at least I don't know anyone who does that). It's not dripping and performing flawlessly so hesitant to do anything, but I will have the boat out of the water this winter so maybe replace as a preventative measure?
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
What brand is it? Some have a recommended change at 6 ot 7 years. Need to check manufacturer’s specs.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #3

City: Upper Chesapeake Bay
"Volvo manual says "replace propeller shaft seal" at 500 hours"

I believe the manual is talking about the shaft seal on the back of the transmission where the prop shaft flange bolts to the prop shaft.

Greg
BayBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
Is there a recommended interval to change the shaft seal? 2003 Camano, 1600 hours. Volvo manual says "replace propeller shaft seal" at 500 hours. I don't believe ours has ever been done, but not sure it needs to be done every 500 hours (at least I don't know anyone who does that). It's not dripping and performing flawlessly so hesitant to do anything, but I will have the boat out of the water this winter so maybe replace as a preventative measure?
I had Tides Marine shaft seals on a previous 2006 boat. One started leaking in 2018. I replaced both of them. The recommended interval at that time for those shaft seals was six years for Tides Marine.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Mine started leaking at about 20 years and 5K hours.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound Region
Vessel Name: WakeRobin
I changed out the original Tides Marine seal at 1,200 hours in favor of PSS. Reason I went with PSS is my experience with previous boats w/ PSS seals over thousands of hours of runtime.
Camano 31 #262
WakeRobin
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #7

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
I changed out the original Tides Marine seal at 1,200 hours in favor of PSS. Reason I went with PSS is my experience with previous boats w/ PSS seals over thousands of hours of runtime.

Me too. The tides seal is very small. Swapped to pss seal and prefer it.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #8
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Our Camano had a PSS seal. Nine years and 1800 hours and no leaks. Our current (and last) boat has Tides seals. At 17 years and 2000 hours with no leaks I replaced them just because they were old.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: South Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBum View Post
"Volvo manual says "replace propeller shaft seal" at 500 hours"

I believe the manual is talking about the shaft seal on the back of the transmission where the prop shaft flange bolts to the prop shaft.

Greg
What Greg says
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #10

City: Long Valley
Vessel Name: No Worries
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST44
Make sure you grease the seal.
4fun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #11
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
PSS seals (manufacturer's recommendations) state that the seal needs replacement at 6 years (this from memory so it may be 7). This is because the rubber bellows is under constant compression and needs to hold a slight pressure between the carbon and stainless metal parts. Over time, the rubber slowly loses it's ability to maintain this compression and pressure, also depending on what it has been exposed to (diesel, oil, ozone, etc.) chemicals can cause it to degrade. There could be other issues developing over time as well such as damage to the bellows, loosening or rusty clamps, abnormal carbon disc wear, etc.

For a slightly higher cost, they now offer an upgraded bellows (as well as the standard) where the recommended replacement is 10 years instead of 6.
Many people have gone well past the OEM recommendations successfully. However, with each passing year the risk goes up. Having a failure on one of these could be a big problem, even if only emotionally.
On my purchase survey, because there was no record of when the shaft seal had been replaced (and it looked in very good condition with no leaks) he recommended replacement. My insurance company as a condition of insurance REQUIRED that I change it reasonably soon. At the time the boat was about 15 years old so I also preventatively changed the cutlass bearings, rudder seal, and serviced the prop. The shaft was good.
So for me, why risk an unexpected, possibly major failure (possibly at a remote location), possibly with denied insurance coverage, to extend past the OEM's recommendations to save a little money?? Just my thoughts.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:28 PM   #12

All good points. I hesitate a little because "it ain't broke" and appears to be in great condition with no leaks. Sometimes you start messing with things and create new issues for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
PSS seals (manufacturer's recommendations) state that the seal needs replacement at 6 years (this from memory so it may be 7). This is because the rubber bellows is under constant compression and needs to hold a slight pressure between the carbon and stainless metal parts. Over time, the rubber slowly loses it's ability to maintain this compression and pressure, also depending on what it has been exposed to (diesel, oil, ozone, etc.) chemicals can cause it to degrade. There could be other issues developing over time as well such as damage to the bellows, loosening or rusty clamps, abnormal carbon disc wear, etc.

For a slightly higher cost, they now offer an upgraded bellows (as well as the standard) where the recommended replacement is 10 years instead of 6.
Many people have gone well past the OEM recommendations successfully. However, with each passing year the risk goes up. Having a failure on one of these could be a big problem, even if only emotionally.
On my purchase survey, because there was no record of when the shaft seal had been replaced (and it looked in very good condition with no leaks) he recommended replacement. My insurance company as a condition of insurance REQUIRED that I change it reasonably soon. At the time the boat was about 15 years old so I also preventatively changed the cutlass bearings, rudder seal, and serviced the prop. The shaft was good.
So for me, why risk an unexpected, possibly major failure (possibly at a remote location), possibly with denied insurance coverage, to extend past the OEM's recommendations to save a little money?? Just my thoughts.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:24 PM   #13

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
" If it ain't broke, don't fix it " doesn't apply to maintenance items. If it has a rubber bellows, or anything that wears, that's a maintenance item..
My .02 cents...
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:11 PM   #14

See pic for my seal. I have a manual for a Tides Marine seal, but not sure if that's what I have as mine looks different (are the bellows under the blue sleeve?). Not sure what exactly I have or if it's original.
Attached Thumbnails
20211128_130010.jpg  
Old 11-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #15

City: Long Valley
Vessel Name: No Worries
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
See pic for my seal. I have a manual for a Tides Marine seal, but not sure if that's what I have as mine looks different (are the bellows under the blue sleeve?). Not sure what exactly I have or if it's original.
Thats definitely not a volve seal.
4fun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #16

It’s a tides marine with a spare seal inside black ring.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #17
Guru

City: Green Turtle Bay
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
If it starts dripping then it time to change it

Our have been installed for going on 10 years and still doing fine.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
If it starts dripping then it time to change it

Our have been installed for going on 10 years and still doing fine.

I wouldn’t wait that long.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:09 PM   #19

From the manual, it says the spare seal should be in a little container just forward of the seal unit, but I don't think I have one on there unless that black thing around the shaft IS the spare seal container? Are you saying the front part opens and there is a spare seal in there? If so, I should be good just putting in the spare seal? Hauling out in winter so I have the option to do more if needed (including maybe replacing the cutlass bearing and rudder shaft packing (19 year old boat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
It’s a tides marine with a spare seal inside black ring.
Old 11-28-2021, 06:41 PM   #20
Guru

City: Green Turtle Bay
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
I wouldn’t wait that long.

OK you win, change it JUST before it starts to leak