Old 11-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #1061
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Agree John, the Cummins QSB is a great engine. The Nielson Beaumont yard is replacing older engines on the Naval swift boats with the QSB and that includes the Seals who have a heck of a lot to loose if the engine is not reliable.

Don’t be a stranger on the Forum, and I hope to see you around town in the future.

Best.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #1062
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
So the Helmsman is sold, or nearly so? Congratulations!

What's next? You must have it all planned out....
Old 11-12-2020, 11:21 PM   #1063
Guru

Sale Completed

Itís with mixed feelings that I write this post about completing the sale and transfer of ownership of Maria Elena, our H38E. Needless to say this boat was the most enjoyable build we experienced to date and we cannot say enough about the boat. She turned out perfect for our planned use but as with life there are no guarantees. Our plans to ship the boat to the east coast and spend a few on the ICW did not occur. Today I spent time with the new owners assisting them with getting familiar with the boat and itís systems. Tomorrow they head north up the coast to the boats new home near LA. I plan to write more about selling Maria Elena and the interesting journey we experienced to assist others but I will take a short break and collect my thoughts. Walking away from the boat for the last time felt different then other boats and Iím still trying to figure out why. More to follow soon......
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:44 AM   #1064
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Last week we went through the sea trial and inspection process associated with the sale of the boat. What was interesting was the ability of the inspector to plug his lap top into the Cummins engine data port and see a lot of history on the engine including amount of fuel used and crankshaft revolutions. A quick calculation between fuel burn and hours confirmed an average performance of 2 gallons per hour since we owned the boat. Taking the engine to WOT also reconfirmed just how much fuel you can burn. When you normally cruise around 1450RPM reaching close to 3,000RPM definitely feels different. Having owned many different inboard engine makes including Yanmar, Luger, Mercruiser and Cummins I have to admit the Cummins has become my favorite.

John
For interest sake... what was fuel burn and top speed at WOT. Inquiring minds want to know!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #1065
Guru

Fuel burn at WOT is about 18GPH. About 800% increase to go from about 7 knots to 9.5 - 10.0 knots. I’ll take 2.0 - 2.5GPH and 7 knots all day.
Old 11-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #1066
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Fuel burn at WOT is about 18GPH. About 800% increase to go from about 7 knots to 9.5 - 10.0 knots. Iíll take 2.0 - 2.5GPH and 7 knots all day.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #1067
Guru

Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
So the Helmsman is sold, or nearly so? Congratulations!

What's next? You must have it all planned out....
As with every next boat we will take our time, do our research and find the best boat for the mission. First we need to define the mission. The last one (ICW) didnít work out for us and we are unsure what is ahead.

John
Old 11-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #1068
Guru

Looking Back

With the sale of Maria Elena behind us, personal items removed from the boat and stored away at home, it seems as though we have been down this road before. Having to focus on the new house and yard I know it will be a little while until we start our next boat building project but I plan to enjoy the time figuring out the next journey.

Last night I opened one of many new boating magazines sitting on my desk. I was a little surprised to see the number of builders who have jumped into the super large center console boats with three or four outboards. Talk about money to burn! I have to wonder who buys this type boat and how long these expensive, go fast, open style fuel guzzling rockets? I donít think it is a potential trawler buyer 😐.
An interesting observation I have made looking back over the past four years is the lack of a new builders focused on trawlers. When we look at FD trawlers I believe the number of builders entering the market is around zero. If we stretch the term ďTrawlerĒ to include non FD hull boats I believe we are also at or near zero. I have to wonder why as we see more people (a lot of sailers) recognizing the benefits of going slow in comfort. Maybe this is good thing for all the builders in this small market segment where they can each enjoy a piece of the action,, stay competitive and offer a good product to the consumer.
Getting back to the FD market Iím still baffled why there hasnít been another builder stepping up to offer a line of ďsmallerĒ boats. Even with the sale of our boat I likely spent more time explaining the hull shape and relationship to a FD than any other part of the boat. The H38E hull is just great. While our H38E is one of the best boats we will have ever owned and perfect for it intended use I would still like to see a similar model built as a FD with longer range. Possibly a 42í - 45í FD with 1,600 mile range for a nonstop passage from SD to Cabo San, Lucas (1,000 miles) then further south. A heavy boat fully stabilized but similar to the H38 with limited levels and steps. I donít think we would ever go back to a taller boat with countless steps, just too dangerous while at sea on rough days plus we arenít getting younger. The boat would be wide beam, one side deck, large aft deck, large salon and PH with stand up ER and separate entrance and similar to our boat.
OK, I can see Iím already dreaming which is phase one of the journey and better not let Mary see this text. Hey Scott hopefully you will read this post and start getting ready! 🤭.

Time to start working on the yard. More to follow soon......
Old 11-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #1069
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
As to your CC comments...

"super large center console boats with three or four outboards. Talk about money to burn! I have to wonder who buys this type boat and how long these expensive, go fast, open style fuel guzzling rockets?"

At first glance it might seem that way but a lot of the popularity is cost savings for buyers who would like nice Sport Fishing boat. While some are just after speed, others are after speed to the fishing hole. The fastest boats on the water right now are the CC's, much like lakes where the fastest are the bass boats.

Also like the bass boats years ago the competition has been to have the biggest and fastest.

Interestingly, for decades Boston Whaler dominated the CC Market but then competitor after competitor gained business. Many of the builders were and many still are relative small builders. We have quite a few in South Florida operating out of warehouse strips. While Boston Whaler and Grady White may be readily available, companies like Seavee, Contender, Jupiter, Yellowfin, and Freeman may have a long waiting time.

HCB which has had the biggest, although may not now, is simply a reincarnation of Hydrasports. They go up to 65' and five or six engines up to 2700 hp or more. As long as talking speed, don't overlook Fountain, Cigarette (Up to 59' and 2700 hp) and Nor-tech are in this field. For them the CC has replaced their high performance inboards which typically had larger Mercury Racing Inboard outboards and so for the performance boat enthusiast, CC's also have been a lower cost option. They have led to the resurgence of these builders as they now provide the speed at a lower price.

There are more center consoles sold today in South Florida than any other type boat. I understand they make no sense to trawler boaters, but I'm thankful for anything that gets boaters out on the water. They also do have more than their share of accidents with operators not experienced or not experienced with speed and with operators under the influence, using them as party boats or to and from the party.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #1070

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Looking forward to the new build thread! Jim
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #1071
Guru

Looking Back

Itís been one week since I turned over the boat to its new owners and to be honest I have not had much time to think about the boat. Work and the new house continues to consume my time. That being said Mary and I took Sailor Blue to Dana Point last Sunday for a walk and enjoy the 72 degree weather. It was one of those great fall days in Southern California with clear skyís and little wind. The harbor was jumping like a 4th of July weekend. Everyone one was out on their boats, paddle boards and kayaks. Dana Point is home to PAE the parent company of Nordhavn and I always enjoy seeing all the boats there either for sale or being commissioned. This visit I was fortunate to see the new N41 built in Turkey. While I didnít go inside I did climb aboard and looked through the salon windows. As I expected the exterior is all Nordhavn with very nice fit and finish. The N41 was only two boats down from a N40 which provided a nice comparison. A few observations include the N41 is about a foot (maybe more) less tall than the N40 in the bow and the transom. I knew the boat was slimmer by a good foot but in person it looks even skinnier. With two side decks around the salon the interior is very tight. Not sure what they were thinking with two side decks on such a skinny boat. While the introduction price was a great value Iím not sure they nailed the design. As a day or weekend boat she is likely perfect but less accommodating for extended stays. These are just my observations and not meant to be a criticism of the designer who had his own vision and mission for the boat. I have a passion for boats with wide beams (N40 & H38E) and maximum interior space which supports our life style.
After viewing the N41 we continued our walk and enjoyed watching dozens of boats coming and leaving the harbor. Since we are not sure what our next journey or destination may be we just enjoyed seeing the vast selection of boats out there. More to follow....
Old 03-22-2021, 04:06 PM   #1072

City: Tillsonburg
John, I'm so glad to have read your adventure building your H38E. We're sailboaters from Ontario Canada going to the dark side haha.
We have another couple of years before the admiral retires and initially we were looking for larger sailboat to cruise the southern climes during the winter months. Then we hit on the idea of getting a trawler instead. Checking out videos on YouTube seems like forever !!
Then saw the Helmsman 38E. Instantly the admiral looked at me and said there's our boat. I joined the trawler forum to start looking in ernest. Came upon your thread. What an inspiration thanks.
We would be making a few changes ie. more solar and lithium batteries and more refrigeration as we plan to stay on the hook over longer periods.
Like you mentioned the 90% rule the boat is all we need and still easily able to handle short handed.
Thanks again
Johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #1073
Guru

The Dark Side

[QUOTE=Johnnyv;989649]John, I'm so glad to have read your adventure building your H38E. We're sailboaters from Ontario Canada going to the dark side haha.

Thank you for your post, I will provide you my contact information via a private message in case you would like to discuss the transition further.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:17 PM   #1074
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyv View Post
John, I'm so glad to have read your adventure building your H38E. We're sailboaters from Ontario Canada going to the dark side haha.
We have another couple of years before the admiral retires and initially we were looking for larger sailboat to cruise the southern climes during the winter months. Then we hit on the idea of getting a trawler instead. Checking out videos on YouTube seems like forever !!
Then saw the Helmsman 38E. Instantly the admiral looked at me and said there's our boat. I joined the trawler forum to start looking in ernest. Came upon your thread. What an inspiration thanks.
We would be making a few changes ie. more solar and lithium batteries and more refrigeration as we plan to stay on the hook over longer periods.
Like you mentioned the 90% rule the boat is all we need and still easily able to handle short handed.
Thanks again
Would like to hear your thoughts on the lithium system you are planning.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:39 PM   #1075

City: Semiahmoo
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
The H38E hull is just great. While our H38E is one of the best boats we will have ever owned and perfect for it intended use I would still like to see a similar model built as a FD with longer range. Possibly a 42í - 45í FD with 1,600 mile range for a nonstop passage from SD to Cabo San, Lucas (1,000 miles) then further south. A heavy boat fully stabilized but similar to the H38 with limited levels and steps. I donít think we would ever go back to a taller boat with countless steps, just too dangerous while at sea on rough days plus we arenít getting younger. The boat would be wide beam, one side deck, large aft deck, large salon and PH with stand up ER and separate entrance and similar to our boat.
OK, I can see Iím already dreaming which is phase one of the journey and better not let Mary see this text. Hey Scott hopefully you will read this post and start getting ready! 🤭.

Time to start working on the yard. More to follow soon......[/QUOTE]

Add water tight doors to that and what a hell of a boat that would be.
Nocanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #1076
Guru

Potential New Build On The Horizon

Hello, its been some time since I posted on this thread but I recently noticed a couple of Helmsman owners following my new thread focused the "process of buying a new boat" under "General Discussion". The thread title is "Potential New Build On The Horizon" and while the boat may be a little off subject for TF the process is the same. For those who have reached out to me both on the open forum and privately thank you for your comments and questions. Looking forward to hearing from others and talking about boats.

John - Former Owner of Nordhavn 4050, Nordhavn 4061, Nordhavn 3522, Helmsman 38E