Old 04-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #1041
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I'll expect a tour when she is complete.

BTW, the range sucks!

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya.../ab-116--96461
One could have trolling valves installed, extend range quite a bit, and maybe even catch some fresh salmon for the crew once in a while

You two B's going to co-Captain that beast yourselves?
Old 04-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #1042
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I'll expect a tour when she is complete.

BTW, the range sucks!

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya.../ab-116--96461
That is the range at 45 knots. Range is up to 2000 nm slower and can run with one or two engines rather than all three.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #1043
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
One could have trolling valves installed, extend range quite a bit, and maybe even catch some fresh salmon for the crew once in a while

You two B's going to co-Captain that beast yourselves?
We may operate it a lot but other crew as well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:17 PM   #1044
Guru

An interesting question

The other day I received a private message from a Helmsman fan asking if I looked at the new Nordhavn 41 and what my thoughts were. This was the second person who asked me about the boat and my response was the same. While I hesitated to make this post I determined being a fan of all boats and builders I figured no harm to share my “personal opinion” especially if it helps others make a decision. As many readers know we owned three Nordhavn Trawlers and enjoyed them all. We never felt as safe in the ocean as we did in the N40. It is an amazing little ship that has crossed oceans. When the N41 was being developed we were contacted by Nordhavn and took a look. While the twin small engine concept was interesting we determined within minutes the boat was not for us. One “must have” for us is a boat with the widest beam possible to maximize “live aboard comfort”. Remember we all pay by the foot and owning a wide beam boat not only increases the interior space at no extra cost of ownership it normally improves the ride. The N41 has a narrow beam (much narrower than our H38E) and very small salon. It reminds me of our N35. The fact the boat is being built in Turkey at a new yard is interesting and a departure for Nordhavn. Time will tell if this was a smart decision. While Nordhavn has experience a few false starts with the MS 56 and Sport Fish 76 I’m confident a new narrow beam canal and coastal cruiser will be a good seller.
One great thing about the Trawler Community is all the different boats we can choose from. For us we have the best boat today for our use and look forward to the next time we are out on the water. If anyone is interested in our experiences with both Nordhavn and Helmsman Trawlers feel free to contact me.

John

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:48 AM   #1045
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
AB 116. Fast Trawler.
Oooch Laddie, that's nay what yoooed call a trawler...
Old 05-07-2020, 07:11 AM   #1046
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
The other day I received a private message from a Helmsman fan asking if I looked at the new Nordhavn 41 and what my thoughts were. This was the second person who asked me about the boat and my response was the same. While I hesitated to make this post I determined being a fan of all boats and builders I figured no harm to share my “personal opinion” especially if it helps others make a decision. As many readers know we owned three Nordhavn Trawlers and enjoyed them all. We never felt as safe in the ocean as we did in the N40. It is an amazing little ship that has crossed oceans. When the N41 was being developed we were contacted by Nordhavn and took a look. While the twin small engine concept was interesting we determined within minutes the boat was not for us. One “must have” for us is a boat with the widest beam possible to maximize “live aboard comfort”. Remember we all pay by the foot and owning a wide beam boat not only increases the interior space at no extra cost of ownership it normally improves the ride. The N41 has a narrow beam (much narrower than our H38E) and very small salon. It reminds me of our N35. The fact the boat is being built in Turkey at a new yard is interesting and a departure for Nordhavn. Time will tell if this was a smart decision. While Nordhavn has experience a few false starts with the MS 56 and Sport Fish 76 I’m confident a new narrow beam canal and coastal cruiser will be a good seller.
One great thing about the Trawler Community is all the different boats we can choose from. For us we have the best boat today for our use and look forward to the next time we are out on the water. If anyone is interested in our experiences with both Nordhavn and Helmsman Trawlers feel free to contact me.
I just looked at the specs of the N41 and the H38E and both indicate the beam is 13' 11". The salon does look small compared to the H38E. There is also no flybridge unless it is an option. What was really surprising is the N41's displacement at 43,300 pounds and also a 900 gallon fuel capacity. Also looks like stabilizers are standard equipment.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #1047
Guru

N41 Beam

The 13’ 11” beam on the N41 is approximately one foot narrower than our N40’s which next the original N46 had the largest beam to length boat in its class. I was disappointed to see the new boat get narrow but when you are chasing speed and range something has to give. Add in the side decks and yes the salon gets very skinny. For many people the trade offs are fine and I’m sure this will be a nice boat very well equipped.

John
Old 07-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #1048
Guru

Boat Video

Anyone who enjoys boat videos may enjoy a professionally developed video of our boat. The photographer exceeded my expectations with both stills and the drone video. It can be viewed on Yachtworld or the Helmsman Trawler Site.

John T
Old 07-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #1049
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Anyone who enjoys boat videos may enjoy a professionally developed video of our boat. The photographer exceeded my expectations with both stills and the drone video. It can be viewed on Yachtworld or the Helmsman Trawler Site.

John T
So, you're selling it?

You never answered my question from a while ago.

Are you in the boat sales business?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #1050
Guru

Yachtworld

Quote:
So, you're selling it?

You never answered my question from a while ago.

Are you in the boat sales business?

Yes, the boat is for sale. No, we are not in the business but have built close relationships with a couple of builders over time. I work in the Aerospace industry.

John
Old 07-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #1051
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
I just viewed the video & think it's one of the best I've ever seen!
Old 07-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #1052
Guru

Windy Day

So last week we decided to check on the boat and take her for cruise. It was a little breezy (10-15 knots) and bay was full of white caps. After backing out with some bow thruster help we headed down the channel and decided to empty the holding tank. Pulling against the wind went fine as I jumped off and tied up the mid ship line. By the time I got back to the stern the wind pushed the stern about 12’ away and the bow was heading towards the bock. I ran forward and started to push off. No luck, the best I could do was hold the boat off the dock. Mary ran to the PH as I told her to use the bow thruster which helped but wouldn’t be enough to get the stern in so I decide it was time to bail. I never untied a dock line so quickly and boarded a boat. Full reverse with a little bow thruster got us away safely as we headed to the bay. The breeze was definitely above 15 knots and we took spray above the PH instantly. Most boats had left the bay but a few big boys making large wakes stayed out. We were bounced around a little as we headed south then decided it wasn’t worth it turned around heading directly into the wind. More spray but excellent tracking made it fun. After returning to the dock we both agreed the boat felt solid and handled perfectly but remained surprised how the wind took more of stern than we calculated. Never to old to learn.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:25 AM   #1053
bry

City: Chicago
Hi N4061,
Do you think Having a stern thruster would have help in this scenario? Have you looked into the cost of adding ? I really love the Helmsman 38/43, when I finally make that purchase i will need bow/stern thrusters with a single engine and If there is only a bow thruster I will add the stern, You would think adding the Stern thruster would be less expensive than adding a bow thruster because the Stern thruster doesn't look like much fiberglass work needed compared to going through the Hull of the bow. Whats your thoughts
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #1054
Guru

While a stern thruster would have helped significantly I will argue the added cost and complexity is not worth it. Having performed a better job judging the wind and docking strategy (stern in first, Mary off the boat and tiring us up) would have worked fine. I’m not a big fan adding equipment to boats that is only used a few times a year. I would rather improve my boat handling skills.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #1055
bry

City: Chicago
John, I agree, to use a boat a few times a year i wouldn't add the expense either. Every Captain can improve on their boat handling skills.
The 38/43/46 Helmsman will be my living/cruising on the Loop boat when I do purchase. I just sold my 2014 360 (reason; only used few times a yr) with twin 8.2l with axius joystick/skyhook etc... (so i'm spoiled with total control) Before that I had a 32' single engine for 23yrs and was all over the great lakes with her, i was much younger and was able to jump/leap/jog all over the boat and thrusters would have been nice but not necessary. Now older and less agile (bummer get old and falling apart) I will be shopping for a single engine 38 thru 46 and my must haves will be bow/stern thrusters fly-bridge for a piece of mind knowing if the winds/current picks up I will have total control at all ends.
The reason I asked if you ever looked into the install of a stern thruster is not in doubt of your captain skills, just curious because I have been creeping in on your beauty for some time now. Georgeous Helmsman you have John !

Bry
bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #1056

City: Here and there
I have a single screw and no stern thruster. 99% of the time it is no bother. Once in while if I don’t get it lined up right, I need to swing the wheel over and bump it in gear, then back over, all the while not making headway. The 1% of the time would be for the convenience of tapping a joystick to get the stern over a few inches or so.

I wouldn’t depend on electric thrusters to save me when wind or current come as a surprise. Lean on the thruster for too long and it will time out. I try to save mine for if I really, really screw up. I would guess most installed aren’t sized to move you sideways against a stiff beam wind.

Take a look at the Sidepower EX thrusters. Designed to be retrofitted, bolt on to the outside. One thru-hull like hole and two smaller bolt holes. Wiring wouldn’t be any more difficult than any other boat project. I’m not sure how I would fit and size it for mine but I’m still thinking of getting one for that 1%.
Porgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #1057
Guru

Stern Thruster

Bry, we should talk over phone one day about your plans and different boats. Having lived aboard (part time) for about 5 years I may be able to provide a few thoughts. Let me know if your interested in speaking.

John
Old 10-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #1058
Veteran Member

City: Bay
I'm a little late to this party but I just discovered Helmsman Trawlers and I am very impressed. I'm researching possible retirement boats (10-15 yrs out) for winter living aboard. I really like Pilot House/Tug designs because I actually like how they break up the cabin into several cozy "rooms" compared to the open studio apartment feel of some others (eg Swift Trawlers.) John's post #90 explains exactly why I really like the Helmsman 38 design.

As someone who will be very limited based on budget, I'm also attracted to the more affordable price point. How does Helmsman achieve these savings? Is it simpler and fewer systems? It certainly doesn't appear to be quality.
TheDory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:18 PM   #1059
Guru

Late to the party

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDory View Post
I'm a little late to this party but I just discovered Helmsman Trawlers and I am very impressed. I'm researching possible retirement boats (10-15 yrs out) for winter living aboard. I really like Pilot House/Tug designs because I actually like how they break up the cabin into several cozy "rooms" compared to the open studio apartment feel of some others (eg Swift Trawlers.) John's post #90 explains exactly why I really like the Helmsman 38 design.

As someone who will be very limited based on budget, I'm also attracted to the more affordable price point. How does Helmsman achieve these savings? Is it simpler and fewer systems? It certainly doesn't appear to be quality.
Welcome and you are not late to the party, if fact no one Is ever late since people continue to discover boating and trawlers ever day. Helmsman trawlers are a great find and definitely offer one of the best values anywhere. I cannot speak for the company but I believe when you combine a medium size yard focused on building similar size and design boats in a lower labor cost teamed with a small US based company who controls its overhead while offering great service the result is very competitive cost structure.

Having owned many different size, makes and models of boats, built is different locations, I have learned that price alone doesn’t equal value. I have spent more on some boats and ended up with less in the long run. Continue to explore, compare and educate yourself and in time you will make your own conclusions and find the boat right for you.

John
Old 11-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #1060
Guru

Cummins Engine

Last week we went through the sea trial and inspection process associated with the sale of the boat. What was interesting was the ability of the inspector to plug his lap top into the Cummins engine data port and see a lot of history on the engine including amount of fuel used and crankshaft revolutions. A quick calculation between fuel burn and hours confirmed an average performance of 2 gallons per hour since we owned the boat. Taking the engine to WOT also reconfirmed just how much fuel you can burn. When you normally cruise around 1450RPM reaching close to 3,000RPM definitely feels different. Having owned many different inboard engine makes including Yanmar, Luger, Mercruiser and Cummins I have to admit the Cummins has become my favorite.

John