Old 07-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #821
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Sailor Blue would have resolved this dilemma long ago.
Wifey B: Sailor Blue would have never gotten into such a quagmire. Why do you think Sailor Blue chose not to go with him?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #822
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It was a Dark and Stormy Night.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Sailor Blue would have never gotten into such a quagmire. Why do you think Sailor Blue chose not to go with him?
You`re right, one smart puppy. Were she onboard, she`d have chewed through the plastic wrap to free the oars. Voila! Powered dinghy,safe human!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:41 AM   #823
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
This isn't real, is it?
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:21 AM   #824
Veteran Member

Can anyone provide a chart or google sat screenshot of where this saga is unfolding? I'm having trouble understanding why an able bodied person, in a dinghy at a marina fuel dock, with oars, needs to call a marine rescue service.
Bruce B Wifey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #825
Guru

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Reminds me of the Larry David sketch where he needed a knife to cut into the plastic package clamshell to get the knife out he needed to use.......
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #826
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B Wifey D View Post
Can anyone provide a chart or google sat screenshot of where this saga is unfolding? I'm having trouble understanding why an able bodied person, in a dinghy at a marina fuel dock, with oars, needs to call a marine rescue service.
Wifey B: I got confused with calling the Harbor Patrol and Jim and the tow company and some because his tow service card was in his wife's car and wondered why he didn't just call his wife and have her drive to where he was by this point? Then the next morning he could bring his boat and retrieve his dinghy.

Well, he's given us another trailer and the story will continue I'm sure, but lot's of unanswered questions. Another is why he didn't unwrap the oars before starting.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #827
Guru

The TF version of "click-bait"?
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #828
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Wifey B: I got confused with calling the Harbor Patrol and Jim and the tow company and some because his tow service card was in his wife's car and wondered why he didn't just call his wife and have her drive to where he was by this point? Then the next morning he could bring his boat and retrieve his dinghy.

Well, he's given us another trailer and the story will continue I'm sure, but lot's of unanswered questions. Another is why he didn't unwrap the oars before starting.
Because the ramp gate to the dock he was on is locked. So he can't get to shore (fully), and doesn't have a tender that works - or at least an engine that works.

But I agree, why not just break out the oars and row. You have plenty of time now.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #829
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Because the ramp gate to the dock he was on is locked. So he can't get to shore (fully), and doesn't have a tender that works - or at least an engine that works.

But I agree, why not just break out the oars and row. You have plenty of time now.
Wifey B: He could at least row to shore. I'm sure he'll finish the story and explain all in due time. He sure is dragging this out and getting his audience wanting more. He's turned it into a cliffhanger.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #830

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Hopefully John finishes his story before too much conjecture and analysis.

Google map "Harbor Island San Diego". It sounds like he set off from the small beach at the park called "Spanish Landing" located across the water to the north of the WEST end of Harbor island. The Fuel dock is located at the very west end of Harbor Island. While he then had access to the dock, he can not get to shore because your are required to key card access OUT as well as in.

Next... Where would he row to?! It is dark. Chilly. He needs to get around Harbor Island to the EAST end where his boat is. Rowing into the open bay and the 1.5 miles in dark and sometimes lumpy water in a 10'(?) open dingy is not an option.

Sounds to me like one of those situations where bad timing and needing to get somewhere causes us to end up in a pickle. Since most of us, if we are honest, have been there at some point in our life... I hope that A) John finishes the story; and B) we all learn or at least are mildly amused by the tale he is sharing.

In the mean time - I'll PM him my cell phone # and a standing offer to throw his new dingy onto the swim platform of my boat there at Harbor Island West. But since lightning seldom strikes twice...

Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:07 PM   #831
Guru

Wifey B: You do all realize he's now drawing this out further just to torture us all.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #832
Guru

My guess is a Navy helicopter, better managed than the Fitzgerald, will make an appearance next episode.
Wasn`t the author once a writer for "The Bold and the Beautiful"?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:37 PM   #833
Guru

Dingy Continued

So after walking the docks for a few minutes without finding anyone aboard I started back towards the lonely fuel dock when I noticed car lights above the rocks. I walked towards the gang way and noticed a man heading towards the gate. I asked if he had a boat down here to which he responded "why did I want know". After explaining my situation he politely said he would assist me. We walked to his boat where he handed me his portable VHF radio. After a few failed attempts to reach Vessel Assist I heard the Coast Guard ask Vessel Assist if they were picking up my transmition. Within a minute I heard VA call me on the radio. We schanged channels and coordinated a tow. I was told it would be about 45 minutes until the board arrived which was fine with me.

After the tow boat arrived it was a relatively uneventful ride home. One thing I confirmed during the ride aboard the tow boat while watching the boat bouncing around behind us was that I made the right choice NOT rowing the boat home in total darkness in the stiff breeze and choppy bay.

After tieing up the boat and calling Mary around 11:00pm I fell into bed and started feeling the aches and pains. I couldn't sleep until I knew what happened to the new engine so I pulled out the owners manual and started reading. It didn't take long to figure out I failed to open the built in fuel tank air vent thus starved the engine of air. While this was comforting to learn the engine was fine it made me angry I messed up what should have been an enjoyable experience.

A few lessons learned included both positive and negative decisions which I'll expand on later.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM   #834
Guru

Quote:

Valid question except Mary was100 miles away at home and it was late at night. While the oars were available and I considered rowing home I'm glade I didn't attempt it after the rideome on VS. Between the weather, distance and my back I dont think I would have made it.

John
Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #835
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
.....so I pulled out the owners manual and started reading. It didn't take long to figure out I failed to open the built in fuel tank air vent thus starved the engine of air. While this was comforting to learn the engine was fine it made me angry I messed up what should have been an enjoyable experience.
A few lessons learned included both positive and negative decisions which I'll expand on later.
John
Yep. Always read the manual first if possible, at least re basic operation. And always remember the air bleed valve on any sealed fuel container - which an intrgral tank is.

This was your giveaway clue...it restarted when you took the cap off...

I wasted no time starting the engine and quickly headed home waving goodbye to the driver whom I didn't get to properly thank.
Within 5 minutes the engine died and I assumed it was out of gas since I knew the built in tank was very low. I grabbed the little portable tank and started to fill the small engine tank...I restarted the engine.

Looks like you never mowed your own lawn John...
Old 07-06-2017, 12:17 AM   #836
Guru

Quote:
Valid question except Mary was100 miles away at home and it was late at night. While the oars were available and I considered rowing home I'm glade I didn't attempt it after the rideome on VS. Between the weather, distance and my back I dont think I would have made it.

John
Wifey B: I was thinking oars at the beginning, not so much after all the problems, except perhaps to where you could get to shore, not all the way home. On the other hand, I figured someone would eventually show up.

Glad you made it home and glad you found out the source of the problem.

Hope your back is better.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #837
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
A few lessons learned included both positive and negative decisions
Been there, done that. Glad it worked out and even more glad that you have your new dinghy. I rowed around in mine yesterday afternoon with my brother in law and his two little kids. It was great fun. I had him take a turn at the oars and was surprised at how much trouble he had rowing well. I don't have a lot of experience rowing a boat and most of that was too long ago to remember but maybe it is like riding a bike...?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #838
Guru

Dingy Continued

So after having the Gig Harbor a week now and running her a few times I can confirm the following:
1. I made right decision not to attempt to row her home. It was too rough, windy and long distance for my first ever row.
2. This boat moves very easy though the water. Just a hand push off the dock and boat glides forever
3. The 2.5hp Yamaha is almost too much power. She moves at just out of idle
4. The yacth finish is unbelievable
5. More than enough room for the three of us
6. A major attraction on the water. Everyone who sees it loves it

Can't wait to row the boat
Old 07-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #839
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Jaysus.

You can't make this stuff up.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:02 PM   #840
Guru

Quote:
...Can't wait to row the boat
Sounds like a great choice of dinghy.
Not sure why, but I enjoy rowing too. Learnt it as a kid, surfing in and rowing out of a beach with a modest surf, great fun,if you didn`t row well you got wet. Good exercise too,sometimes I ignore the motor on the transom and go for diy propulsion. Maybe it`s why I enjoy kayaking.