Old 11-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #681
Guru

Update

We are starting to get back into the swing of things. After a few nights aboard and working in SD, Mary is comfortable turning off the circuit breakers and lockingbuo the boat prior to leaving for home. The carpet turned out great and makes the boat look and feel larger. We went a 2" reveal in the salon to show off the wood floors and net fit every where else. The canvas guy stopped by to reconfirm a few items before starting work this week. That's all for today.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #682
Guru

Update

We drove down to the boat late yesterday and enjoyed the sunset from aft deck followed by a great view of downtown skyline all lighted up. It was the first time we spent any time up top. Life is good. Today we are off to find a bedspread which will allow Mary to finish off the interior. Everything else arrived and in bags (yes we need a bigger boat for everything she bought). After shopping we are heading to north county to look at a few homes (our goal is to still retire in SD). I plan to post some photos later this evening of the interior. Looking forward to next week the plan is to take the boat north harbor hopping or to Catalina. More to follow later....
Old 11-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #683
Guru

photos

First round of photos of the Pilothouse
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161113_131127.jpg   IMG_20161113_131113.jpg   IMG_20161113_131248.jpg   IMG_20161113_131032.jpg  
Old 11-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #684
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I really like the Roman shades. The carpet edge binding looks like an excellent job on the radius cuts.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #685

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
Elegantly done, John...not sure I would be able to step off her at the end of a weekend visit.
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #686
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Really nice! Do you have 360 degree pictures with shades open?
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:50 AM   #687

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Very elegant! That's some great work by your vendors. I may have to hit you up for contact info next year when I replace our blinds and curtains.

Just got home from an incredibly beautiful weekend in San Diego. It was a balmy 75į this evening as I sat in our cockpit eating dinner. There's a reason everyone wants to live there!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #688
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Why buy another house? Just live on that beautiful craft right there, then wherever you go, you're home.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #689
Guru

Living Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Why buy another house? Just live on that beautiful craft right there, then wherever you go, you're home.
This is something we have talked about many times over the past ten years but not something I can do. As much as we enjoy the boating life style we need a land based home to return to and this is where it gets complicated. We don't need the large house and 1.25 acre yard but Mary struggles with condo's (been there) or Townhome (done that). Anything with a yard requires us to be home which doesn't support spending time cruising the ICW. Yes, we have an issue in front of us. In time we will figure it all out.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #690
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
This is something we have talked about many times over the past ten years but not something I can do. As much as we enjoy the boating life style we need a land based home to return to and this is where it gets complicated. We don't need the large house and 1.25 acre yard but Mary struggles with condo's (been there) or Townhome (done that). Anything with a yard requires us to be home which doesn't support spending time cruising the ICW. Yes, we have an issue in front of us. In time we will figure it all out.
How long are you comfortable being away from your boat at a time and letting others watch it?

How long are you comfortable being away from your home at a time and letting others watch it?

They are really more similar than we think sometimes. You can get someone to take care of the yard and you can set up alarms and cameras so you can keep an eye on your house. Then you just figure out how long before you need a brief house time.

We think of the upkeep of a house vs that of a condo and act like there is much more for a house. There isn't. It's just in a condo you have someone doing it for you, who you're paying quite a bit. For what you pay a condo association to take care of things you can get a lot done on a house.

So, I wouldn't fight myself or her on the house issue, but just figure out how to make it work. You say, "anything with a yard requires us to be home" and it really doesn't. I don't know how much of a yard you have vs. land that is natural or requires less upkeep.

It sounds to me like you both want to cruise and you want to have a house you spend time in. It's a matter of how much of each. I'm not sure you can even know how much of each until you start doing it. We didn't. It turns out that we average 6 weeks cruising and then 3 weeks home, although still boating while home. We leave the boat for those three weeks and fly home, then back to it. Planned ahead a bit those tickets home can be purchased on nice deals. This type system really helps us enjoy each leg or segment of cruising.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #691
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
First round of photos of the Pilothouse
Not sure if it is your camera, but that sure looks...

Very pink?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #692
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
In Florida, we have many gated communities where the HOA is responsible for the landscaping including mowing the lawn, trimming the bushes and hedges, applying fertilizer and insecticide, removing yard debris and the like. You don't have similar communities in CA? The communities here cater to snowbirds who spend 1-5 months in FL during the winter. We lived in one in Vero Beach and regularly left of 2-3 months during the summer to go to MI. The flip side is the yards are normally .25 acres or less.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #693
Guru

Photo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Not sure if it is your camera, but that sure looks...

Very pink?
Interesting that the photos looked good on the I-phone but when transferred did turn pinkish. Carpet is tan and brown. Will take new pictures when we do the salon.

John
Old 11-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #694
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
John, The ICW is a marvelous cruising ground. It takes years to explore. The times to explore are generally spring and fall. When you get the boat to the est coast, FL is great December through March. The Chesapeake is lovely May and June as well as September and October. How you connect the two is up to you. In our H38, we plan to run 50 NM per day. It takes about 4 weeks from Annapolis to St. Augustine. But that is moving a a pretty good clip. To explore a bit, you might spend 6-8 weeks moving north or south. There are many secure places near good airports, to leave the boat and return to SD.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #695
Guru

Thanksgiving

We drove down to the boat yesterday to enjoy the holiday weekend aboard. A low pressure system will keep us close to San Diego but that is fine. I took a few photos with my phone and hope they post without any red tint. Here is the first one.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20161124_015.jpg  
Old 11-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #696
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
We drove down to the boat yesterday to enjoy the holiday weekend aboard. A low pressure system will keep us close to San Diego but that is fine. I took a few photos with my phone and hope they post without any red tint. Here is the first one.
Wifey B: Darn, the Pink Palace is gone.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #697
Guru

Photos

A couple more photos from Mary's phone. The pillows are more a rust color but show up red or pinkish for some reason. Carpet is light tan with light brown trim. Anyway you can get an idea how things turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20161124_075830458.jpg   IMG_20161124_080920153.jpg  
Old 11-24-2016, 12:34 PM   #698
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
She's beautiful. Congratulations on the spiffy new boat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #699
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We are celebrating our 8th Thanksgiving aboard our H38. This year we are in central Florida. We have found that the oven is too small to cook a turkey. It is however, just the right size, to cook a 5 pound standing rib roast. It's just one of the sacrifices we make as live aboards. Best wishes to you and Mary.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #700
Guru

Thanksgiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
We are celebrating our 8th Thanksgiving aboard our H38. This year we are in central Florida. We have found that the oven is too small to cook a turkey. It is however, just the right size, to cook a 5 pound standing rib roast. It's just one of the sacrifices we make as live aboards. Best wishes to you and Mary.
Funny thing as we out cruising on the bay close to shore and i mentioned to Mary this is what it would be like on parts of the intercoastal including Florida. One of great things about boating and holidays is that its fun to break tradition and try different meals. We had planned tamales but couldn't find good quality ones in time so turkey it was.