Camano Troll Control Cables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nussbda

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Camano Troll
Does anyone know the length of the 4 control cables? I don't know how to convert the markings on the Volvo cables on my 2002 Troll to length.

Thanks,
Dave

I can't speak to your cables specifically (I don't have a Camano), but when I changed out my (Morse, IIRC) control cables, the number was on the cable in inches, near the end. Maybe I'm just slow :facepalm:, but it didn't dawn on me at first that "252" was the length in inches. It was though.

Thanks Frosty. Unfortunately the numbers on the Volvo cables don't seem to correspond to inches, cm, or mm.

Dave

Well rats. I thought you might have Morse or some other common ones. I didn't even know Volvo had their own.

Are they marked Volvo? If not, does Kobelt make cables? (I see the Camano has Kobelt shift and throttle sets.)

That's all I have to try to solve the mystery.

Cables made in America are measured by jacket length + 18"

A Volvo dealer should be able to tell you length from the complete #

:socool:

Thanks Keysdisease, Unfortunately the Volvo dealer I spoke to couldn't tell me the lengths when I gave them the #s stamped on the jackets.

Dave

Do they have any sort of standard ends on them? (Or, what do the ends look like?) I'm more familiar with outboard motor cables (for throttle/shift at a fwd helm); but in that case companies like Seastar make cables that fit (and/or adapters) and can be used. Seastar's "Xtreme" cables are nice.

Keysdisease: Do you know if this is true for inboard engine cables as well?

OMC/Johnson/Evinrude and Mercury did have their own proprietary cables. When Yamaha entered the market they adopted the "universal" cable used on inboard engines, the Morse "33c" (Teleflex 3300) and its big brother the "43c." Other outboard manufacturers like Suzuki followed Yamaha's lead.

The Teleflex 33c Extreme cable is an improved 33c

To make things even more interesting Teleflex bought Morse and then spun off the marine divisions as "Sea Star Solutions."

I would be surprised if the Volvo cable was anything but a Volvo branded 33c cable. The "universal" 33c type cable has 10-32 threads on each end, the ends are same/same.

This cable is made by many manufacturers and Sea Star makes them for several manufacturers. Typically the jacket color is the only difference. Red was Morse, Silver was Teleflex, Black was SeaStar, Gold was North Wales, there is Blue as well.

:socool:

Attachments

• telcc332-10.jpg
    telcc332-10.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 72
Hi Frosty,

The cable ends are threaded. Kobelt sells the end kits (I have Kobelt controls). The Seastar/Teleflex Xtreme cables have a good reputation. I'm just hoping to have everything in hand before I start the project.

Dave

Sounds like you may be able to proceed without Volvo-specific cables. Good deal.

One note is that if your cables have sharp bends or a convoluted path, the Seastar Xtreme (or other similar) do move quite easily compared to "standard' quality ones (at least in my experience).

I'm just hoping to have everything in hand before I start the project.

If you manage that, let me in on the secret :thumb:

I'm just starting this project. I'm only replacing the cables from the fly bridge to to the lower control station at this time. The 2 cables are each 14 feet long.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom