Old 02-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Camano swim step motor bracket

I am looking for a bracket to fit on the swim step of my Camano to mount a 9.9 short shaft outboard motor. Has anyone been successful in doing this with a short shaft outboard? It seems doable given how low the swim step is to the water (8").

The Panther brackets look like they would work Outboard Motor Brackets | Fixed-Mount 4-Stroke & Lightweight but they require a support pole back to the transom and I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.

Any recommendations out there?

jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
To carry the outboard for a tender or to use it as auxiliary power?

AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I’ve been toying with a similar application of a 9.9 for aux power on my swim platform to be integrated with a step ladder. The ladder is more on the order of dock ladder style grab handles with a 1” starboard plate across the base, all a 9.9 would need. For simplicity and easy attachment, two to four 3/8” stainless bolts through the starboard and through the handles would be enough for such a situation. I should test this on mine in the next month or so.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
To carry the outboard for a tender or to use it as auxiliary power?
I would transfer my dinghy motor over to the motor mount for use as an emergency get-home engine if needed, but I'd also like to use for trolling if possible.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
The short shaft is problematic as auxiliary power, any ocean motion will tend to pull the prop out of the water. It would have to be quite calm to stay in contact with the water and not lift out with the occasional wake or swell.

I used an Avon as a tender, and had to mount a transom riser on it to use the long shaft that would also work on the Bayliner. It was only 24', I would think the longer the vessel the more the tendency to lift out of the water from swells.

Long shaft outboards are really common here as trolling motors on larger vessels, I have never seen a short shaft mounted...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Besides the tendency for a short shaft to have the prop lift out of the water, there is also the risk of submerging the air intake being mounted so low.

Emergency get-home engines are often required when the water is rough.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
The short shaft is problematic as auxiliary power, any ocean motion will tend to pull the prop out of the water. It would have to be quite calm to stay in contact with the water and not lift out with the occasional wake or swell.

I used an Avon as a tender, and had to mount a transom riser on it to use the long shaft that would also work on the Bayliner. It was only 24', I would think the longer the vessel the more the tendency to lift out of the water from swells.

Long shaft outboards are really common here as trolling motors on larger vessels, I have never seen a short shaft mounted...
Hmm... thanks for the advice. I calculate the center of my kicker prop would be 10" under water and just above the bottom of the hull. Too shallow still?
Old 02-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Depends, I guess, how far your swim platform is off the water. On my Aquasport I made it with 4 pieces of 1/4" stainless. Front, bottom and two gussets that I tig welded together then mounted permanently to the swim platform with backer plates. Short shaft could be problematic as noted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598 (Large).jpg
Views:	206
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	73423  
Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Depends, I guess, how far your swim platform is off the water. On my Aquasport I made it with 4 pieces of 1/4" stainless. Front, bottom and two gussets that I tig welded together then mounted permanently to the swim platform with backer plates. Short shaft could be problematic as noted.
Top of my swim step is 8" to waterline. Top of bracket 4.5" above swim step. That would give me ~10" of outboard in the water... might not be enough... ?
Old 02-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I don’t give much chance for reasonable operation with a 9.9 in an ocean condition either. I thought we were speaking about a Camano in a normal (I decided to cruise today) coastal situation. A single knot headway with directional control is an manageable situation in Miami harbour or much of the ICW. Adrift or anchored in the middle of a waterway could leave one vulnerable to salvage. In winds under 15 or so, my boat can dock on 10 HP. It sounds like an easy, cheap alternative for creeping along toward a safer location, emergency manuvering, or giving directional stability in a current. How deep it needs to be is another matter, but my 9.9 is also a short shaft. I guess I’ll find out on the test, but I’m figuring about 11-12” in the water.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:07 AM   #11
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
Hmm... thanks for the advice. I calculate the center of my kicker prop would be 10" under water and just above the bottom of the hull. Too shallow still?
As I recall, and I may be in error, however, in my case not. the height of the bracket above the step is 7" maybe a bit more. How then does your lower unit relate to that number from the step to the center of the prop shaft?

I can not post photos, too bad on me. but Murray, if he reads this may post photos of his center pin pivot mounted outboard. I have the same system on my step. OB swings up and then with the pivot pin pulled, the tilled horizontal engine is swung to one side or the other on the step. Out of the way. and not subject to being a hazard over the end of the step. Both he and I built our respective units, I have no knowledge of any model produced on the market.
It does require the construction of a engine bracket modeled after ones commercially available normally out of aluminum. Again hopefully Murray will provide a photo or two. This bracket is centered with a 3/4 inch stainless nut and bolt, to allow the whole bracket to rotate. Under the bracket is a corresponding size a bit larger, of nylon sheet to give the bracket the ability to swing with the weight of the engine. The whole unit is secured with a small pin in the deployed position and then again in the stored position.

My unit is a 9.9 long shaft Yamaha hi torque

Good luck in any event on your solution.

If you wish, send me a PM with your ph # or email. I can send photos

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #12
Guru

City: Boston Area
I'm up, and bored. If you want to email a few pics to GPBarry@AOL.com, I'd be glad to post them for you.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:05 AM   #13
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Had to rummage around a bit, but here are those photos, Al.

These are made by someone in Terrace, BC, who sells them through Ken's Marine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kicker bracket 1.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	73438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kicker Bracket 2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	73439  
Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 AM   #14
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I'm up, and bored. If you want to email a few pics to GPBarry@AOL.com, I'd be glad to post them for you.
Wow!! talk about fast trawlers!!! Between you and Murray, things happen. I did send a series of photos and thanks to Murray- A pinch in time so's to speak
Old 02-28-2018, 02:16 AM   #15
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Wow!! talk about fast trawlers!!! Between you and Murray, things happen. I did send a series of photos and thanks to Murray- A pinch in time so's to speak
Notice too, that Murray is able to mount his dingy on his Weaver system with the OB stowed. Neat "Two-Fur" on the swim step.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 02-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Had to rummage around a bit, but here are those photos, Al.

These are made by someone in Terrace, BC, who sells them through Ken's Marine.
Two questions:

1. Is that a short shaft outboard? No problems with cavitation?
2. Do you also use that motor for your dinghy propulsion? Pain to switch it over when needed?
Old 02-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #17

City: Washington
It might be more practical to leave the motor on the dinghy and tow the boat with the dinghy.

I agree with some others that the rocking of the boat could put the prop out of the water or the engine submerged.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #18
Guru

City: Boston Area
Al's pictures

Here are the pictures that Al wanted posted
Attached Images

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #19
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhance View Post
Two questions:

1. Is that a short shaft outboard? No problems with cavitation?
2. Do you also use that motor for your dinghy propulsion? Pain to switch it over when needed?
J- I would think a short shaft will prove frustrating. I used a short shaft 6 hp Evinrude on a fixed bracket first. I tested it out in a mild wave condition and found the prop would cavitate. Hence, when Murray posted his bracket I was impressed. Having a 9.9 Yamaha in the inventory and a bracket that would allow me to leave the OB mounted and out of the way vs. pulling the 6 hp mounting it on a railing bracket.
Due to my age and the height of the gunnel passing the OB from the boat to the RIB is a hassle that I don't need. So- the 9.9 is the designated "Get Home" and I have a 2 hp Honda for the RIB. The combination works well. Simple lowering of the RIB, and a single handed swing of the Honda to the transom works.
I did have to extend the Weaver brackets on channel material to clear the 9.9. and had a local welding service extend the length of the 'hold off' rods. No big deal

Al-Ketchikan
Old 02-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #20
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Like Al, mines a “stay put” long shaft. Never used it in lumpy conditions, or for its intended purpose because the main engine has never quit.