Camano swim step motor bracket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
I am looking for a bracket to fit on the swim step of my Camano to mount a 9.9 short shaft outboard motor. Has anyone been successful in doing this with a short shaft outboard? It seems doable given how low the swim step is to the water (8").

The Panther brackets look like they would work Outboard Motor Brackets | Fixed-Mount 4-Stroke & Lightweight but they require a support pole back to the transom and I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.

Any recommendations out there?

To carry the outboard for a tender or to use it as auxiliary power?

I’ve been toying with a similar application of a 9.9 for aux power on my swim platform to be integrated with a step ladder. The ladder is more on the order of dock ladder style grab handles with a 1” starboard plate across the base, all a 9.9 would need. For simplicity and easy attachment, two to four 3/8” stainless bolts through the starboard and through the handles would be enough for such a situation. I should test this on mine in the next month or so.

To carry the outboard for a tender or to use it as auxiliary power?

I would transfer my dinghy motor over to the motor mount for use as an emergency get-home engine if needed, but I'd also like to use for trolling if possible.

The short shaft is problematic as auxiliary power, any ocean motion will tend to pull the prop out of the water. It would have to be quite calm to stay in contact with the water and not lift out with the occasional wake or swell.

I used an Avon as a tender, and had to mount a transom riser on it to use the long shaft that would also work on the Bayliner. It was only 24', I would think the longer the vessel the more the tendency to lift out of the water from swells.

Long shaft outboards are really common here as trolling motors on larger vessels, I have never seen a short shaft mounted...

Besides the tendency for a short shaft to have the prop lift out of the water, there is also the risk of submerging the air intake being mounted so low.

Emergency get-home engines are often required when the water is rough.

The short shaft is problematic as auxiliary power, any ocean motion will tend to pull the prop out of the water. It would have to be quite calm to stay in contact with the water and not lift out with the occasional wake or swell.

I used an Avon as a tender, and had to mount a transom riser on it to use the long shaft that would also work on the Bayliner. It was only 24', I would think the longer the vessel the more the tendency to lift out of the water from swells.

Long shaft outboards are really common here as trolling motors on larger vessels, I have never seen a short shaft mounted...

Hmm... thanks for the advice. I calculate the center of my kicker prop would be 10" under water and just above the bottom of the hull. Too shallow still?

Depends, I guess, how far your swim platform is off the water. On my Aquasport I made it with 4 pieces of 1/4" stainless. Front, bottom and two gussets that I tig welded together then mounted permanently to the swim platform with backer plates. Short shaft could be problematic as noted.

Attachments

• IMG_1598 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1598 (Large).jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 362
Depends, I guess, how far your swim platform is off the water. On my Aquasport I made it with 4 pieces of 1/4" stainless. Front, bottom and two gussets that I tig welded together then mounted permanently to the swim platform with backer plates. Short shaft could be problematic as noted.

Top of my swim step is 8" to waterline. Top of bracket 4.5" above swim step. That would give me ~10" of outboard in the water... might not be enough... ?

I don’t give much chance for reasonable operation with a 9.9 in an ocean condition either. I thought we were speaking about a Camano in a normal (I decided to cruise today) coastal situation. A single knot headway with directional control is an manageable situation in Miami harbour or much of the ICW. Adrift or anchored in the middle of a waterway could leave one vulnerable to salvage. In winds under 15 or so, my boat can dock on 10 HP. It sounds like an easy, cheap alternative for creeping along toward a safer location, emergency manuvering, or giving directional stability in a current. How deep it needs to be is another matter, but my 9.9 is also a short shaft. I guess I’ll find out on the test, but I’m figuring about 11-12” in the water.

Last edited:
Hmm... thanks for the advice. I calculate the center of my kicker prop would be 10" under water and just above the bottom of the hull. Too shallow still?

As I recall, and I may be in error, however, in my case not. the height of the bracket above the step is 7" maybe a bit more. How then does your lower unit relate to that number from the step to the center of the prop shaft?

I can not post photos, too bad on me. but Murray, if he reads this may post photos of his center pin pivot mounted outboard. I have the same system on my step. OB swings up and then with the pivot pin pulled, the tilled horizontal engine is swung to one side or the other on the step. Out of the way. and not subject to being a hazard over the end of the step. Both he and I built our respective units, I have no knowledge of any model produced on the market.
It does require the construction of a engine bracket modeled after ones commercially available normally out of aluminum. Again hopefully Murray will provide a photo or two. This bracket is centered with a 3/4 inch stainless nut and bolt, to allow the whole bracket to rotate. Under the bracket is a corresponding size a bit larger, of nylon sheet to give the bracket the ability to swing with the weight of the engine. The whole unit is secured with a small pin in the deployed position and then again in the stored position.

My unit is a 9.9 long shaft Yamaha hi torque

Good luck in any event on your solution.

If you wish, send me a PM with your ph # or email. I can send photos

Al-Ketchikan

Last edited:
Had to rummage around a bit, but here are those photos, Al.

These are made by someone in Terrace, BC, who sells them through Ken's Marine.

Attachments

• Kicker bracket 1.jpg
    Kicker bracket 1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Kicker Bracket 2.jpg
    Kicker Bracket 2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 183
I'm up, and bored. If you want to email a few pics to GPBarry@AOL.com, I'd be glad to post them for you.

Wow!! talk about fast trawlers!!! Between you and Murray, things happen. I did send a series of photos and thanks to Murray- A pinch in time so's to speak:flowers::thumb::thumb:

Wow!! talk about fast trawlers!!! Between you and Murray, things happen. I did send a series of photos and thanks to Murray- A pinch in time so's to speak:flowers::thumb::thumb:

Notice too, that Murray is able to mount his dingy on his Weaver system with the OB stowed. Neat "Two-Fur" on the swim step.

Al-Ketchikan

Had to rummage around a bit, but here are those photos, Al.

These are made by someone in Terrace, BC, who sells them through Ken's Marine.

Two questions:

1. Is that a short shaft outboard? No problems with cavitation?
2. Do you also use that motor for your dinghy propulsion? Pain to switch it over when needed?

It might be more practical to leave the motor on the dinghy and tow the boat with the dinghy.

I agree with some others that the rocking of the boat could put the prop out of the water or the engine submerged.

Al's pictures

Here are the pictures that Al wanted posted

Attachments

• TF1.JPG
    TF1.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 842
  • TF2.JPG
    TF2.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 846
  • TF3.JPG
    TF3.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 842
  • TF4.JPG
    TF4.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 839
  • TF5.JPG
    TF5.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 957
  • TF6.JPG
    TF6.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,076
  • TF7.JPG
    TF7.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 852
  • TF8.JPG
    TF8.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 849
  • TF9.JPG
    TF9.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,246
Two questions:

1. Is that a short shaft outboard? No problems with cavitation?
2. Do you also use that motor for your dinghy propulsion? Pain to switch it over when needed?

J- I would think a short shaft will prove frustrating. I used a short shaft 6 hp Evinrude on a fixed bracket first. I tested it out in a mild wave condition and found the prop would cavitate. Hence, when Murray posted his bracket I was impressed. Having a 9.9 Yamaha in the inventory and a bracket that would allow me to leave the OB mounted and out of the way vs. pulling the 6 hp mounting it on a railing bracket.
Due to my age and the height of the gunnel passing the OB from the boat to the RIB is a hassle that I don't need. So- the 9.9 is the designated "Get Home" and I have a 2 hp Honda for the RIB. The combination works well. Simple lowering of the RIB, and a single handed swing of the Honda to the transom works.
I did have to extend the Weaver brackets on channel material to clear the 9.9. and had a local welding service extend the length of the 'hold off' rods. No big deal

Al-Ketchikan

Like Al, mines a “stay put” long shaft. Never used it in lumpy conditions, or for its intended purpose because the main engine has never quit.

That bracket is a thing of beauty! I especially love that it's centered on the stern instead of offset like most transom brackets are for outboards. I carried a 9.9 for over 15 years, never used it once as auxiliary power. It was a brute to move over to the transom of the Avon at 115 lbs, and a young man's job :)

I carry a 6 hp Tohatsu now, 55 lbs and enough to plane out the Achilles 9.5 and plane it out with two or less on board. I am comfortable without an auxiliary for the Willard, and it's incentive to keep it well maintained! The Willard trolls down to about two knots at idle, so no need for a trolling motor as so many have up here.

+1 on that rotating swimstep outboard bracket. A great idea.

My only issue with a motor mount (and attached outboard) on the swim step is that it gobbles up valuable swim step space. That's why I was thinking I'd just transfer the outboard over to the motor mount, but the more I think about that process the less appealing it becomes! It might be tempting in calm conditions, but I really don't want to be transferring over a 100# motor between dinghy and swim step in really any sea state if I can avoid it.

This is all in reference to using the outboard as a get-home engine. A solution to that potential problem may be as simple as in this video I found:

I'll give it a practice or two. Hip tow or tow from the stern of the dinghy. Limited control I know, but as a last resort it might be doable in relatively calm-ish conditions!

My "get home plan" is a TowBoatUS membership and a cell phone. I realize this won't work for everyone, but how far can you go on a 30'+ trawler with a 5 HP outboard motor, how long will it take and will you have enough gasoline on board to actually get to port?

My "get home plan" is a TowBoatUS membership and a cell phone. I realize this won't work for everyone, but how far can you go on a 30'+ trawler with a 5 HP outboard motor, how long will it take and will you have enough gasoline on board to actually get to port?

TowBoatUS won't help you if you suddenly have engine troubles and you are a few minutes away from being on the rocks. And what if no cell service? Their service is sometimes many hours away from just getting to you. If you are cruising inland waters like the San Juans, where wind/current are often pushing you around, a backup system is important in my opinion. It's not about going from point-to-point with your dinghy/kicker... it's about keeping you safe UNTIL TowBoatUS arrives. Try your anchor of course, but many locations anchoring is not an option. For me, I want a backup way to move around should my main propulsion fail.

Well, on our 28 foot boat, the original 6 hp Evinrude there as the "Get-Home" would push the boat about 3 knt. at near full throttle. At about 1/2 gallon per hour about 12 miles or more if you reduce to trolling speed where you can if you have conditions, throw out the salmon trolling gear. Make lemonade out of a lemon situation. By the way I carry a extra jerry jug of OB fuel. The current 9.9 Yamaha will push the boat at a comfortable 4.5-5 knots at 3/4 throttle. As it is a 4 stroke, the mileage is impressive, One can count of near 15 miles of travel, As with the 6 hp, which is not onboard, we carry a extra jerry can for the Yamaha.

I'll give it a practice or two. Hip tow or tow from the stern of the dinghy. Limited control I know, but as a last resort it might be doable in relatively calm-ish conditions!

Sure it works, even better if you position the OB powered dink positioned with the OB aft of the stern line of the big boat. Better maneuverability.

Al-Ketchikan

TowBoatUS won't help you if you suddenly have engine troubles and you are a few minutes away from being on the rocks. And what if no cell service? Their service is sometimes many hours away from just getting to you. If you are cruising inland waters like the San Juans, where wind/current are often pushing you around, a backup system is important in my opinion. It's not about going from point-to-point with your dinghy/kicker... it's about keeping you safe UNTIL TowBoatUS arrives. Try your anchor of course, but many locations anchoring is not an option. For me, I want a backup way to move around should my main propulsion fail.

I said "I realize it won't work for everyone."

Yo may have to go with a long shaft outboard and possibly more horsepower. And also keep more gasoline onboard than you would otherwise.

Remember, the swim platform is designed for use as a swim platform and not an engine mount so you may have to reinforce it.

The propeller for use as an auxiliary is also different from the prop for a tender. The pitch is different and the blades are larger, it would function poorly on a tender...

Just another thought to ponder :)

I am looking for a bracket to fit on the swim step of my Camano to mount a 9.9 short shaft outboard motor. Has anyone been successful in doing this with a short shaft outboard? It seems doable given how low the swim step is to the water (8").

The Panther brackets look like they would work Stepepr Motor Brackets | Fixed-Mount 4-Stroke & Lightweight but they require a support pole back to the transom and I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it.

Any recommendations out there?

I agree with some others that the rocking of the boat could put the prop out of the water or the engine submerged.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom