Camano Head Woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Separate Fresh Tank for the Elegance

Is the addition of a separate tank for health/safety still needed for the Elegance or does that only apply to non-pressurized fresh systems? Thanks, Milt

Is the addition of a separate tank for health/safety still needed for the Elegance?

No. toilets that are designed to use pressurized flush water can safely be connected to the boat's fresh water supply. A separate flush water tank would only be needed to supply fresh water to a sea water toilet...and there's a better way that makes it unnecessary even for those. Scroll back about 10 posts and read the one from TDUNN and my reply to it. It's not information you'll need if you install the Elegance but you never know when someone else can benefit from your knowing about it.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Elegance bad fit - Photo

Floor 'shelf' design limits choices to compact base designs. Need to check specs but maybe Fresh Head fits or Sea Era. I want to use pressurized fresh. You can see in photo that toilet shelf is just under 11" but room bend for overhang style bases.

Attachments

• 20170811_133511.jpg
    20170811_133511.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Sorry it got flipped 180 somehow.

Pic Right Side Up

Hard to see the shelf clear upside down. Bizzare how upload keeps flipping it trying to save it upside down...

Attachments

• Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 44
West Marine's price is $100 higher than at least two other retailers. I'd buy it from this one because the former owner (very recently former) is an active member of this board as HopCar: Hopkins Carter Marine Raritan Marine Elegance
Buy the toilet yourself and let the yard install it. There's no reason why it should ever have to come out for repair...I've never heard of a single one that has. I'm starting question just how knowledgeable your yard is when it comes to sanitation systems.

Winterizing the Elegance is no more involved than any other toilet. If you opt for fresh water only, only the holding tank will need winterizing...winterizing the fresh water system winterizes the toilet.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Winterizing the Elegance is easy, nothing complicated about the process. Don't over think the procedure. Peggie is correct no more involved than any other toilet.

Elegance won't fit but Sea Era Likely Will

The shelf the toilet is mounted to is less than 11 inches deep so an Elegance, even the angled back version, would stick way out unless I cut a wide notch in the second shelf. I think the bowl is high enough off the base for the Sea Era to fit with the bowl turned 90 degrees.

Assume winterizing the Sea Era FW model is the same as the Elegance, just pump it through.

The shelf the toilet is mounted to is less than 11 inches deep so an Elegance, even the angled back version, would stick way out unless I cut a wide notch in the second shelf. I think the bowl is high enough off the base for the Sea Era to fit with the bowl turned 90 degrees.

Assume winterizing the Sea Era FW model is the same as the Elegance, just pump it through.

I don't think cutting a notch in the shelf is a good idea. When you take a shower, water will end up where it doesn't belong. Find a head that fits the boat without modification.

My cheap Jabsco fits just fine. A VacuFlush was an option on that boat so in theory, it would fit. There are several other Camanos in your area so maybe you could locate them and see if you can look at their setups.

There's also the East Coast Camano Owner's group (ECCO) with a website where you can ask questions like yours. One of the members worked at the dealership in NC where most of the Camanos on the east coast were sold and commissioned.

Camano Owners

Winterizing the fresh water system also winterizes ANY toilet desgned to use pressurized fresh water.

I dunno whether this idea is inspired or idiotic: The photo makes it appear the ledge is long enough that if the straight back version of the Elegance were rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise to face the door, there'd be plenty of room in front of it for feet and knees of anyone sitting on it. I know the pedestal footprint will fit and the Elegance bowl is 2" shorter front-back than the Jabsco, which would give you 2' more knee room than you'd have if you mounted it that way...so try sitting down facing the door on the Jabsco and see how much room you'd have in front of it.

I can't tell whether that white and shiny brass handle is a TP holder or pull for a sliding door... How does the head door open?

Last edited:
I can't tell whether that white and shiny brass handle is a TP holder or pull for a sliding door... How does the head door open?

It's neither, it's a handle for a door. Inside the door is the TP holder and access to the valve to the thruhull for the raw water head (or not, I suppose if it's a fresh water head). I have a washdown tied into that thruhull as well as the head).

He was standing in the doorway to take that photo.

Sea Era QC Ordered

Wes is correct, that is a plumbing access door. Plan is to rotate the Sea Era base to run lengthwise along the shelf. Hope the bowl clears the upper shelf as is but can raise the base a little if needed. Looks like 6" or so before the bowl curves out farther than the base. Want to mount the base as far back on the shelf as possible to accommodate the household bowl. 90 degree discharge elbow turned downward on the shorter 1.5" fitting should help.

All head hoses replaced tank pulled and both it and the space for it cleaned. There was a little spillage and he used bleach in the clean up. Such is life. Smells much better. Got some pure Ayre for later on if needed. Test fit the Sea Era Q and it fits great with legroom no issue. Definitely a good choice for the Camano. It may have been installed today but definitely soon if not. T'ing off the PEX/Quest hard pressure line was the only difficult item left. Will post pics next week.

Well done. Looking forward to the pictures.
That's pathetic, I'm actually looking forward to pictures of a boat toilet.
I've got to get a life.

Well done. Looking forward to the pictures.
That's pathetic, I'm actually looking forward to pictures of a boat toilet.
I've got to get a life.
Well, you could check boats for sale, most seem to have an upfront and close pic of the bowl, lid open. Yet to see one unflushed and needing it, so far... :)

Throne fit for a King of Camano

Still a few hookups to finish up but the SeaEra Q is bolted down. She fit just fine but I got lucky. I didnt have the fresh water connector on the back of the bowl when I positioned it. A little to the right and it would have been in contact with the back wall. Plenty of shoulder and leg room as is with room to easily work in the cabinets to the right.

Attachments

• SeaEra Camano-1.jpg
    SeaEra Camano-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom