Camano 31 windshield wipers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DickyBobs

Vessel Name
Fyna-Lee
Vessel Make
Camano 31
Hello, new Camano 31 owner here. Boat was missing wipers when purchased. It appears the port and starboard windows use the same size, but the center one might be larger. Can anyone provide the correct sizes for me? The original owners manual has no info on wipers. Thanks for your help!

Hello, new Camano 31 owner here. Boat was missing wipers when purchased. It appears the port and starboard windows use the same size, but the center one might be larger. Can anyone provide the correct sizes for me? The original owners manual has no info on wipers. Thanks for your help!

Congratulations on the new boat! Reach out to Helmsman Trawlers. They can give you the type they are installing on new Camanos.

Thanks. I neglected to say that my Camano is a 1998 model. Helmsman apparently changed the entire wiper system when they redesigned the house. Also, they seem reticent to support owners of older Camanos. Another member suggested that the wipers are 12 & 14 inches, so I will try that and see how they work.

Thanks. I neglected to say that my Camano is a 1998 model. Helmsman apparently changed the entire wiper system when they redesigned the house. Also, they seem reticent to support owners of older Camanos. Another member suggested that the wipers are 12 & 14 inches, so I will try that and see how they work.

I have a Camano Troll and those measurements sound about right. Buy them at the Auto Parts store and they will probably exchange them if they don't fit. The center one is longer than the other two.

I will just mention that on mine, I have had problems with corrosion where the shaft passes through from the motor (on the inside) to the wiper arm (on the outside). Without lubrication, the shaft can seize and cause the motor to stall and the circuit breaker to trip.

WD40 or something similar sprayed as best you can into that area helps. Also, you can take the motor cover off from inside the boat and lubricate the shaft and the gears.

I would suggest removing your blades and bringing them to the auto parts store. That way the attachment and everything else will match for sure.

I would suggest removing your blades and bringing them to the auto parts store. That way the attachment and everything else will match for sure.

The original post said the wipers were missing.

Yes, one could take them to the store if they were available, but measuring works just as well. While there are several different attachment methods, all the replacement blades come with adapters to fit those several different attachment methods.

rwidman wrote;
“ WD40 or something similar sprayed as best you can into that area helps”

FYI .. don’t need spray as it get’s all over the place.
WD40 contains almost no lubricant. Good for displacing moisture tho.
Re wiper blades it may be worth looking for “marine”.

rwidman wrote;
“ WD40 or something similar sprayed as best you can into that area helps”

FYI .. don’t need spray as it get’s all over the place.
WD40 contains almost no lubricant. Good for displacing moisture tho.
Re wiper blades it may be worth looking for “marine”.

If you had this boat, you would realize that a spray is about the only way to lubricate this part short of disassembling everything. And part of this is made of what I take to be "pot metal" that will be corroded and likely not come apart without breaking.

A spray oil would be better, but if they are seized (like mine were), you need a penetrating oil to free them up before you can lubricate them.

I'm not making this up, I have the same model boat with the same wipers and have been through this personally. Twice.

Yes, you have to clean up after using the spray.

I've been unable to take the arms off of the motor posts in numerous attempts. Necessary to replace the arms because the springs no longer hold the wiper blades firmly against the glass. Will let a mechanic handle that next time. But, if one of you has a secret successful method, please let me know.......

I recall an allen screw that had to be loosened. But the first time I changed them there was so much corrosion that I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut a slot in the arm where it went over the motor shaft.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Trawler Forum mobile app

I've been unable to take the arms off of the motor posts in numerous attempts. Necessary to replace the arms because the springs no longer hold the wiper blades firmly against the glass. Will let a mechanic handle that next time. But, if one of you has a secret successful method, please let me know.......

Those things do corrode badly. I have not tried to remove mine.

You might be able to replace the springs on the arms.

I had the same issue. I removed the metric set screw, sprayed WD40 in the hole where the screw was, then used channel lock pliers the pull off the entire arm. To my surprise, the spring was fine. What was keeping them from having proper tension against the window was crud buildup in the hinge. I lubricated it and it came back to life instantly. Just for grins, I brushed the pot metal piece on the wire brush of my bench grinder to clean it up.

Thank you!

That was a great response - overcoming what seems like a daunting challenge. Thanks for sharing your process. The last time I attempted to fix the problem, I couldn't get the set screw out. I'll give another try soon.

I had the same issue. I removed the metric set screw, sprayed WD40 in the hole where the screw was, then used channel lock pliers the pull off the entire arm. To my surprise, the spring was fine. What was keeping them from having proper tension against the window was crud buildup in the hinge. I lubricated it and it came back to life instantly. Just for grins, I brushed the pot metal piece on the wire brush of my bench grinder to clean it up.

Yes. These wipers (as would be expected) are subject to salt spray. Clean and lubricate all the moving parts on the arms and blades.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom