Camano 31 roof drains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCheaven

Vessel Name
Boatwright
Vessel Make
Camano 31
Fairly often I have to remove leaves, spider/bug stuff, from the drain holes on the cabin top. Generally, when I come to the boat (long distance...) there is standing water on the cabin top, held up by clogged drains. Does anyone have a good suggestion for improving the drainage from the cabin top - flybridge sole?

I am not familiar with your boat but maybe make an upside down basket to sit over the drain to stop the leaves from getting to the drain. Maybe some S/S screen would be a good choice. It would keep the leaves and junk back far enough that the water could trickle through and drain. Just have to devise a way to keep it in place while you are gone, maybe a bungee?

It's a long-standing problem with our boats. Some people stuff a little mesh pad just before the drain to catch the debris but let the water through, others have gone so far as to drill out larger diameter drain holes.

For me, I just unplug them from underneath in the cockpit, but I'm not in an area where I get direct leaf litter or other heavy debris.

What I was thinking about was a strum box but upside down. It would keep the leaves back away from the drain and let the water through. Make one out of screening and maybe put a weight on the top of it to hold it in place if you can’t bungee it in place.

I read somewhere that Bob Warman, the designer of the Camano, once said that the only mistake he made on the Camano was letting the stern sit too high. That let rain water collect in the front of the flybridge. I fought that for many years, without success. I even put a Whale bilge pump up there to try to keep it dry. No luck.

I don't have a problem with water collecting at the front of the flybridge. Everything is sloped fine to the stern, it's just the drains themselves get plugged.

I read somewhere that Bob Warman, the designer of the Camano, once said that the only mistake he made on the Camano was letting the stern sit too high. That let rain water collect in the front of the flybridge. I fought that for many years, without success. I even put a Whale bilge pump up there to try to keep it dry. No luck.

I drilled 1" holes in the fiberglass cap directly over the drains, I just blast them with a hose from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom