Old 07-06-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sandusky Bay
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: Mariner 37
LED upgrade for Mariner 37 running lights

My upper white running light is out and now seems like a convenient time to replace or upgrade the whole group of running lights. What do you guys recommend for direct replacement LEDs?
HeadedToTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I replaced my anchor light w LED and replaced the unit / fixtures w LED.
I though about "upgrading" side Nav light but found the LED fixtures were a different footprint. Bottom line left the side light as is as the only time I would use them is w eng & alt running do no big deal.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
Guru

So the basic strategy is to remove the bulb or emitter and search for a like replacement? Seems pretty straightforward.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The lights are certified to meet the standards with the original bulbs. Replacing the bulbs with LEDs may invalidate the certification. Lots of people do it but it may leave you open to some liability if there is an accident. The only way to do it properly is to replace the entire fixture with an LED fixture.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #5

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
If you are just going to change the bulbs, there are bulbs made for the port and starboard replacement. A white LED bulb in the coloured lens WILL NOT emit the proper light. I don't know why, it has something to do with physics, science and that sort of thing. The proper LED bulbs emits green light for inside the green lens, and red light for inside the red lens. Then you get the proper colours. I expect there are different spec bulbs for a two mile fixture than for a five mile fixture.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
There is more to it than just the color. LEDs emit light from more than one source like an incandescent bulb so the angles change for the arc of visibility. There is a lot of technical information that goes into approval for a navigation light. If you are involved in a night time collision the insurance companies will assign an investigator and they will find out that the nav lights didn’t have the approved bulb in them. Thereby increasing your liability for the collision. Now maybe that is or isn’t a concern to you, but you should be aware of the possible consequences of using an LED in a non LED nav light. I just replaced the whole fixture with a certified LED one.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:22 PM   #7
Guru

That's why I bring seemingly straightforward issues like replacement lights to this panel of experienced folks. Thanks Dave. No, I had not thought of that. Excellent points.

I don't know for sure that I don't already have LED nav lights, so my first step is to inventory them and know where I stand. Only one is out at this point.